UK home secretary Amber Rudd thinks real people don't care about encryption

Jinchu

Encryption is "severely limiting our agencies' ability to stop terrorist attacks"

--

"Real people often prefer ease of use and a multitude of features to perfect, unbreakable security ... Who uses WhatsApp because it is end-to-end encrypted, rather than because it is an incredibly user-friendly and cheap way of staying in touch with friends and family? Companies are constantly making trade-offs between security and 'usability', and it is here where our experts believe opportunities may lie."

Source: http://nordic.businessinsider.com/home-secretary-amber-rudd-real-people-dont-need-end-to-end-encryption-terrorists-2017-8

I get it. It is scary not to be in control. It is scary that someone might be planning horrible things and there is no way for the government to access the discussion. However, this is not new. Modern encryption algorithms have been around since the 70's. Modern governments have better capabilities for surveillance than ever. More importantly when there is a weak point in security someone (probably not a good guy) will exploit it. Then the normal people will suffer. 

I still think good old human intelligence always better, terrorist could just use a additional encryption/secret code (with their own secret key)which makes breaking the app encryption kinda useless. 

edit: Plus they could just move onto a new application or even create their own or hosted by them, like mumble is great example. It took me around 5mins to setup on a my server and deployed. 

Magical Pineapples

As opposed to fake people, right?

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Remove encryption and the terrorists will move onto another form of communication where they wont be caught. Simple logic for someone who doesn't want to be caught.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

10 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

I'm pretty sure she's right. average people probably don't even know what encryption is.

True, but if you asked a "real person" if they cared whether or not ISIS extremists can read their messages then I think all of them will suddenly be very eager to have encryption.

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

True, but if you asked a "real person" if they cared whether or not ISIS extremists can read their messages then I think all of them will suddenly be very eager to have encryption.

Hmm. also even when they do not care, what should be done. Could it be that end-to-end encryption by default protects an average person without them knowing about it?

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

thats what you get if you dont support liberalism enough, you end up with a way too big government

When you are too dumb for this.... Only bad guys just as stupid as her will be caught because of the removal of encryption in these apps. Those who are smarter will still have their communications encrypted. Civillians will have less security though.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Just now, Jurrunio said:

When you are too dumb for this.... Only bad guys just as stupid as her will be caught because of the removal of encryption in these apps. Those who are smarter will still have their communications encrypted. Civillians will have less security though.

Generally speaking the Muslim Terrorists are the really dumb ones. That's why they get used. The ring leaders aren't normally going to be caught because they're actually semi-competent.

The saddest part about this, knowing too much about this area of things, is this simply isn't targeted at "terrorists". This is wholly about preventing citizens from expressing displeasure from their governments. That's why it's cropping up in all of the Western governments suddenly. The current Elites understand if we got actual information about what they've been up to, they're all going to get executed. It's the reason why there's never any "reasonable" debate about topics in the media. Once you can call a spade, a spade, the entire edifice they've built falls apart. The problem is pretty impressively clear when you point out, "it's Muslims; this is what they've done for 1400 years." 

It's takes all of 20-30 men in properly aligned cells to make a major city unlivable. Modern Infrastructure is very fragile and requires high societal trust to operate. That's what they're actually afraid of: the citizens of their own countries determining their lives. The first half of the 21st century is going to be a rolling collection of interior revolts and former governments sent to the gallows because the Elites decided 100 years ago to replace the populations. Yet none of them now pushing this insanity even understand why they're doing it. The UK has gotten their rivers of blood, and there's only more to come.

"If you don't have anything to hide you have nothing to worry about."

-Ignorance

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Yes, I'm sure Pinocchio cared about encryption before he became a real boy. Now he doesn't bother with frivolous things like privacy.

On a serious note, UK has become a complete surveillance country and just when I think there's nothing else they can do, they think of something new.

yes im sure lots of people dont care, but getting rid of it isnt going to help, you can still just encrypt the messages you are sending through the app, it will just harm to remove the encryption outside of the goverment "feeling safe" or whatever

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 hours ago, Tiwaz said:

thats what you get if you dont support liberalism enough, you end up with a way too big government

Here in the US, it's the "Liberals" (a.k.a. progressives/regressives) that are growing the size of government.

14 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Here in the US, it's the "Liberals" (a.k.a. progressives/regressives) that are growing the size of government.

i didnt want to bring inb too much politics, but yea I agree

Replace real people with general public and she may be correct. Every time these conversations come up in the public eye, there is always a very large group that shrugs it off and say things like "we have nothing to hide," etc. There has to be a way to educate the general public to be proactive instead of reactive.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

I love the way they keep moving the goalposts, saying that the snoopers charter that came into being, had to come in to "fight the terrorist threats".

Not that anyione with a grain of common sense believed them.. Now we get told that encryption is the devil and so on and so forth.

Our shitty government is erroding all of our rights, slowly but surely (actually not that slowly either).

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

dptDLobOFXkwa1F2BC12na0nMWn/VhqroBPiErVISe/TTs/0uoMUFH6Pj/hI3UGQNGFUS3+96+Yp6kOaqUouUjM+l3UOyeJwDhBB04yV4S1oZs6Ft6CBn9O22u4V5iNWpfUxN9ox8KLzgBgue1hvZ82YN+QNTa1tsSGqhHyOji5NylyghtUo2jQbsOwABISHWzuN6ZNhBJsfcV0osICm3A==

AES 256bit 

BIG BALLS

On 02/08/2017 at 10:50 AM, MrUnknownEMC said:

I still think good old human intelligence always better, terrorist could just use a additional encryption/secret code (with their own secret key)which makes breaking the app encryption kinda useless. 

edit: Plus they could just move onto a new application or even create their own or hosted by them, like mumble is great example. It took me around 5mins to setup on a my server and deployed. 

On 02/08/2017 at 10:57 AM, sof006 said:

Remove encryption and the terrorists will move onto another form of communication where they wont be caught. Simple logic for someone who doesn't want to be caught.

On 02/08/2017 at 11:38 AM, Jurrunio said:

22 hours ago, Scruffy90 said:

Replace real people with general public and she may be correct. Every time these conversations come up in the public eye, there is always a very large group that shrugs it off and say things like "we have nothing to hide," etc. There has to be a way to educate the general public to be proactive instead of reactive.

alot of you miss the point.

1 the average person dosnt care about the government reading there messages because most of them have nothing to hide, and when faced with the idea of catching people that could potentially harm there loved ones they will happily allow the government all the powers it wants.......

2 if you remove end to end then yes terrorist groups will simply move on to another platform, but thats the point. you are making things harder for them, you are frustrating them. its a tactic.if the government cant access information from messaging services like whatsapp any way then the terrorists moving to another platform that they cant read is no different other than mainstream readily available services are no longer safe

On 02/08/2017 at 11:31 AM, Taf the Ghost said:

My first thought is, "this is why Brexit happened, you dolts".

My second thought is, "it's not the English, Scottish or Welsh that are your problem".

George Orwell really had the British Elites dead to rights.

this has nothing to do with brexit......not even close.

On 02/08/2017 at 11:01 AM, LAwLz said:

your argument is "think of the children" in a different form ......its scaremongering.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

5 minutes ago, jaggysnake57 said:

your argument is "think of the children" in a different form ......its scaremongering.

I don't see how, but feel free to think that if you want.

But don't worry, I got way more arguments up my sleeve so I don't have to rely on just "think of the children".

Regular people don't really care about encryption, but they will care after you tell them any site in which you need to login and it doesn't have the little green lock in the top right hand corner, that information could be intercepted. Aka HTTPS. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Translation: don't worry, we can count on your stupidity to pass any law we want.

44 minutes ago, jaggysnake57 said:

1 the average person dosnt care about the government reading there messages because most of them have nothing to hide,

Nice theory. It doesn't survive the "dick pic test", though.

Spoiler

and when faced with the idea of catching people that could potentially harm there loved ones they will happily allow the government all the powers it wants.......

No, not really. I mean, some, for sure. You have plenty of counter-examples in this thread alone as well.

2 if you remove end to end then yes terrorist groups will simply move on to another platform,

They will move assuming they currently are on said platform. You are telling me terrorist groups organize themselves through Whatsapp. I'd be glad to see the evidence.

Actually, this:

hide, and when faced with the idea of catching people that could potentially harm there loved ones 

is literally a "think of the children" argument.

1 hour ago, jaggysnake57 said:

1 the average person dosnt care about the government reading there messages because most of them have nothing to hide, and when faced with the idea of catching people that could potentially harm there loved ones they will happily allow the government all the powers it wants.......

The average person got a ton of things to hide. A completely normal UK citizen will break the law on average one time per day. That's 365 times in a year.

They also got things such as private information (pictures and conversations) that they would be very embarrassed and ashamed of if it was shown to people other than the intended receptions. As the dick pic video linked above shows, people do care about their private photos.

Even if we pretend like only be the government that will have access to messages (they wouldn't, because backdoors will inevitably get leaked or discovered), the entire argument is based on the fact that the average person has complete trust in the government and that it will always have it.

Considering how Trump recently became president, I think that's a very wrong assumption to make. Even if you agree with Trump and think he is great, a lot of people think differently. Imagine if Trump started compiling a list of all Muslims in the country using data harvested from private conversations as evidence. Do you really think all US citizens would be OK with that?

Also, you are literally quoting nazi propaganda when you say "nothing to hide, nothing to fear". The nazi party clearly demonstrated why some people might want to hide some facts from the government.

2 if you remove end to end then yes terrorist groups will simply move on to another platform, but thats the point. you are making things harder for them, you are frustrating them. its a tactic.if the government cant access information from messaging services like whatsapp any way then the terrorists moving to another platform that they cant read is no different other than mainstream readily available services are no longer safe

You can not remove end-to-end-encryption. There is absolutely no way of eliminating it.

All that the terrorists would need to do in order to completely circumvent this ban would be to develop their own messaging program. Hell, they wouldn't even need to develop their own, there are several open source ones such as Wire already available.

How do you think the government will stop an open source program from being used? They can't. You can't prevent people from using math formulas that anyone can already look up and write down.

alot of you miss the point.

this has nothing to do with brexit......not even close.

1. You will need a poll to prove that your point is supported by most people. Before that, use "some people" instead.

2. Any examples of an authoritarianism government that's good? Bad things happen when your government becomes your parent

3. Mere annoyance cannot stop large terrorist groups like ISIS. It's just like trying to stop bankers from grabbing on more money by forcing them to spend more in charity.

4. "if the government cant access information from messaging services like whatsapp any way then the terrorists moving to another platform that they cant read is no different other than mainstream readily available services are no longer safe", so from what you said, this has no benefits but has harmed safety of the people?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s