40 cores and 32gb of ddr3 for $800?!?!?!

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Those processors are so cheap because they're old and power hungry and can only achieve the high frequencies when only a few cores are used. Once more than a few cores are used, the process will sit mostly at the lower frequency.

So your e7 2870 will be at 2.4ghz to 2.8 ghz and has a TDP of 130w, therefore two of those will use up to around 300 watts of power when you give them something to do. Compare that to modern processors that need 65 to 95w of power.

As a performance comparison, 2 x E7-2850 ( 2 x 10 core / 20 threads  at 2.0Ghz .. 2.4 Ghz) in total have the same performance of a single Ryzen 5 1600 which needs only 65w to work.  They're so old.

They were a good choice for companies which licensed software per physical CPU and where the license cost of the software was way more than the price of the cpu... the cpu was good if you needed those 20 threads.

As for why there aren't processors running at very high frequencies? That's mostly limits of physics... speed of light and speed of electricity.  The speed of electrons flowing through "wires" is limited to slightly below the speed of light, which is almost 300,000k km/s or 186282 miles per second. 

The higher the frequency, the smaller time electrons have to go from one place in a processor to another place, at speeds like 5 Ghz distances like half an inch are just too long. In order to reach very high frequencies processors have to be made in such ways that at any point, signals travel extremely small distance, and that's increasingly hard on modern processors that have a lot of transistors.

This is the reason cpu designers segment processors in individual cores running at reasonable frequencies like 3..4 Ghz because it's much easier to make small "islands" inside the processor, where at any point high speed signals only have to travel very small distances.

It would relatively easy  to make processors like Intel Atom (very simple design inside, very small size) run at speeds like 8..10 Ghz , but that won't translate in super high performance ... a modern 6-8 core 3 Ghz processor will still run around it.

Just now, Jacob R said:

This is what my plans are for over Christmas break(if the gtx 1070 will go back to the MSRP) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jWqdhq

If a backplate can go on a EK waterblock

HP Zbook 15 G4 | i5-7440HQ | 32GB ddr4- 2133MHz | 500GB HDD, 250GB SSD 

3 minutes ago, Jacob R said:

Ever heard of Cardboard? xD JK LOL

Well, You won't be able to use any server motherboard outside it's Chassis. Dell uses their own type of connectors. Especially for the PSUs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

2 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Well, You won't be able to use any server motherboard outside it's Chassis. Dell uses their own type of connectors. Especially for the PSUs

I was joking, and this was more of a "what if" type of thing.

4 minutes ago, Jacob R said:

This is what my plans are for over Christmas break(if the gtx 1070 will go back to the MSRP) https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jWqdhq

Change the power supply. The Corsair TX650m, EVGA G2, or the Seasonic SSR-650FX (Focus Plus Series.) should be good for the 80-90$ pricerange. 

Getting a custom water loop seems kinda pointless to me since Ryzen is voltage limited, not temperature limited while overclocking. Unless you just want to spend money on looks. 

If you want a Red/Black motherboard, I'd get a Gigabyte AB350 motherboard, better VRMs for overclocking. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

Just now, Megah3rtz said:

Change the power supply. The Corsair TX650m, EVGA G2, or the Seasonic SSR-650FX (Focus Plus Series.) should be good for the 80-90$ pricerange. 

Getting a custom water loop seems kinda pointless to me since Ryzen is voltage limited, not temperature limited while overclocking. Unless you just want to spend money on looks. 

If you want a Red/Black motherboard, I'd get a Gigabyte AB350 motherboard, better VRMs for overclocking. 

I was hoping to have a almost silent PC, so almost no overclocking. and yeah looks :) and from what i hear ASUS has a good interface for the BIOS

4 minutes ago, Jacob R said:

I was hoping to have a almost silent PC, so almost no overclocking. and yeah looks :) and from what i hear ASUS has a good interface for the BIOS

If you go for an Asus Strix/MSI Gaming X GTX 1070/1080 and a Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 you'll have silence on a budget. ;) You'll still have noise from your radiator fans, unless you replace them with good ones, and pump noise if you watercool

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

3 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

If you go for an Asus Strix/MSI Gaming X GTX 1070/1080 and a Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 you'll have silence on a budget. ;) You'll still have noise from your radiator fans, unless you replace them with good ones, and pump noise if you watercool

So it is a bad idea to watercool? it was also on my "bucket list" but, you did give me some food for thought.https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MdR4LD

Those processors are so cheap because they're old and power hungry and can only achieve the high frequencies when only a few cores are used. Once more than a few cores are used, the process will sit mostly at the lower frequency.

So your e7 2870 will be at 2.4ghz to 2.8 ghz and has a TDP of 130w, therefore two of those will use up to around 300 watts of power when you give them something to do. Compare that to modern processors that need 65 to 95w of power.

As a performance comparison, 2 x E7-2850 ( 2 x 10 core / 20 threads  at 2.0Ghz .. 2.4 Ghz) in total have the same performance of a single Ryzen 5 1600 which needs only 65w to work.  They're so old.

They were a good choice for companies which licensed software per physical CPU and where the license cost of the software was way more than the price of the cpu... the cpu was good if you needed those 20 threads.

As for why there aren't processors running at very high frequencies? That's mostly limits of physics... speed of light and speed of electricity.  The speed of electrons flowing through "wires" is limited to slightly below the speed of light, which is almost 300,000k km/s or 186282 miles per second. 

The higher the frequency, the smaller time electrons have to go from one place in a processor to another place, at speeds like 5 Ghz distances like half an inch are just too long. In order to reach very high frequencies processors have to be made in such ways that at any point, signals travel extremely small distance, and that's increasingly hard on modern processors that have a lot of transistors.

This is the reason cpu designers segment processors in individual cores running at reasonable frequencies like 3..4 Ghz because it's much easier to make small "islands" inside the processor, where at any point high speed signals only have to travel very small distances.

It would relatively easy  to make processors like Intel Atom (very simple design inside, very small size) run at speeds like 8..10 Ghz , but that won't translate in super high performance ... a modern 6-8 core 3 Ghz processor will still run around it.