Question on apple factory reset

Hey guys just want a second opinion on this as I am not very familiar with apple products. 

Long story: 

My sisters fiance is deployed over seas and apparently between the US and where he is his phone picked up some form of malicious program (I'm thinking possibly from a "free wifi" in an airport) and recently he accessed his bank account on his phone shortly there after the attacker got into his account and cleaned it out making off with thousands of dollars now he really needs a cell phone and there aren't any apple stores or for that matter any stores he has access too in addition road side bombs and various other political issues have made it so they are not receiving any packages. He does how ever have access to shitty wifi and can have access to a computer there. we are thinking that running a factory reset should wipe the phone of the malicious code allowing him to safely use it again. Am I correct in this assumption? Are there any other options you can think of?

Short story:

Need to remove virus/malware from iphone with only wifi and possibly a computer. will a factory reset completely remove it?

Hardware:

Iphone 5

Im not sure if this is the right area for this post thank you for your help.

The only way to completley remove it would be to get a new flash chip but Factory reset removes 99.99 percent of them

My life

7 minutes ago, Kzar said:

we are thinking that running a factory reset should wipe the phone of the malicious code allowing him to safely use it again. Am I correct in this assumption? Are there any other options you can think of?

a factory reset is the best thing you can do