Can I dual-boot Windows and Linux off the same drive?

Ashiella

I only have 1 ssd and I dont want to boot one off a slow hdd.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

Yes, you can. It is easier if your base OS is Windows.

Hello

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Yes.  Just install Windows first, then let the Linux installer create a separate partition.

Should I shrink the current partition? which is all of the space or will linux prompt me with it?

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

Just now, Ashiella said:

Should I shrink the current partition? which is all of the space or will linux prompt me with it?

If you will be using something like Ubuntu then it should automatically do it.

Hello

Just now, TAHIRMIA said:

If you will be using something like Ubuntu then it should automatically do it.

Im gonna use Ubuntu 17.xx

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, Ashiella said:

Linux should let you manage it all during the install, or you can shrink your Windows partition and just install Linux onto the unallocated space.  Personally, I'd let Linux do it instead of having Windows try to modify the partition it's on.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Linux should let you manage it all during the install, or you can shrink your Windows partition and just install Linux onto the unallocated space.  Personally, I'd let Linux do it instead of having Windows try to modify the partition it's on.

Okay, thanks.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, Ashiella said:

Im gonna use Ubuntu 17.xx

Then you will be prompted during installation about it.

Hello

Just now, TAHIRMIA said:

Then you will be prompted during installation about it.

Thanks

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

Wen you instal ubuntu you can choose to instal alongside *insert OS here *

"i reject your reality and substitute my own"

--- Workstion --- GamePc ---   

"College great Dropout Engineering"

• 1 month later...

While Ubuntu technically should be able to shrink the partition itself, I always like to do it beforehand. Lessens the probability of anything going wrong.

Just know that if Linux is gonna be your secondary OS rather than your primary, you might want to adjust the GRUB config to list Windows first, or select the last chosen OS by default.