Ex-Google VP: Android is the reason your phone takes worse pics than iPhone

smartphone cameras  

270 members have voted

1. 1. What is your smartphone?

2. 2. Are you satisfied with the pictures taken from your smartphone?

Oh boy, here we go again. 

Source: The Next Web

google, apple, photo, iphone, android, phone

This weekend Vic Gundotra, who is widely considered to be the man behind Google Plus, took to Facebook to ponder over the nascent demise of DSLR photography and the hulking cameras that come along with it. Sharing two gorgeous images of his children that he snapped over dinner with his iPhone 7 Plus, the ex-Googler took a moment to laud Apple for its excellent Portrait mode.

“I left my professional camera at home and took these shots at dinner with my iPhone 7 using computational photography,” Gundotra remarked. “Hard not to call these results (in a restaurant, taken on a mobile phone with no flash) stunning.” The post immediately garnered the attention of smartphone photography enthusiasts and soon numerous commenters were flocking to offer counterpoints. “Indeed the [death of the DSLR] era has arrived,” one user noted. “[A]nd Samsung S8 even does a better job as compared to [the iPhone 7.]”

This is when the former Google exec dropped the bomb:

598020de0b0f5_googlecomment.PNG.d3e0c4fa14ba8792d3a945dd9ad56b1b.PNG

Asked to elaborate over his argument, Gundotra penned a lengthy reply detailing what he believes is the reason Android phones still lag behind the iPhone when it comes to image quality.

“Here is the problem,” he began. “It’s Android.” This is what the rest of his answer read:

Android is an open source (mostly) operating system that has to be neutral to all parties. This sounds good until you get into the details. Ever wonder why a Samsung phone has a confused and bewildering array of photo-options? Should I use the Samsung Camera? Or the Android Camera? Samsung gallery or Google Photos?

It’s because when Samsung innovates with the underlying hardware (like a better camera) they have to convince Google to allow that innovation to be surfaced to other applications via the appropriate API. That can take YEARS.

Also the greatest innovation isn’t even happening at the hardware level – it’s happening at the computational photography level. (Google was crushing this 5 years ago – they had had “auto awesome” that used AI techniques to automatically remove wrinkles, whiten teeth, add vignetting, etc… but recently Google has fallen back).

Apple doesn’t have all these constraints. They innovate in the underlying hardware, and just simply update the software with their latest innovations (like portrait mode) and ship it.

Bottom line: If you truly care about great photography, you own an iPhone. If you don’t mind being a few years behind, buy an Android.

So here's a picture of my mother's cat that I took using an old iPhone 5s:

IMG_0004.thumb.JPG.d4f00856630eb7f12f80ccaca72b2e90.JPG

I would say back in 2013, the iPhone 5s is one of the best smartphone cameras and I think it's even better than the Samsung Galaxy S4 (13 MP) or the HTC One M7 (4 MP). I think it is only back in 2015 when the Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge put an end to crappy Android cameras. Back in 2012, the iPhone 5 camera is better than the Galaxy S3. I think the notoriety of crappy Android cameras are started by Motorola. Back in 2013 also, the Moto X is well reviewed except for the washed out, detail-lacking pictures produced by its camera. In my opinion, Gundotra's argument that "if you want a good camera phone, one must get an iPhone" is a thing of the past. We have smartphone cameras on par or even surpassing the iPhone 7+'s camera like the Google Pixel and the Samsung Galaxy S8+. Also, if there's one thing I still hated about the iPhone aside from the lack of camera settings within the app is the lack of manual controls for the camera like ISO, white balance, shutter speed, exposure, etc. In order to achieve that, I need a third party app for that. 

But then, smartphone OEMs should stop saying, "this smartphone camera is as good as a DSLR". It's all bullcrap. Smartphones cannot cram inside a full frame sensor like a DSLR. While a smartphone like the iPhone maybe able to take more burst shots (10 frames/second) than a DSLR, a DSLR's optical zoom and large sensors can take in more details in a picture.

For the five people who will complain why I didn't include Windows Phone in the poll, I don't think it's worth including because almost no one uses it anymore. It's like 1 in 10,000 people.

59801f066db08_giphy(32).gif.b5b822a746c4fb5ab567387e78dab492.gif

So, how about you guys? You can share pet pictures or anything like head shots taken with your smartphones and specify which phone did you use. To be honest, the lack of manual controls alone makes me want to consider an Android phone again.

Edited by hey_yo_
added something

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I'm satisified because its got a far better camera than my previous phone, as do my tablets (2MP with flash Sony vs 2MP without flash droid vs 5MP with flash droid vs 8MP with flash droid)

Edit: List of devices

• Sony Ericson K750i
  • ZTE Racer (Android 2)
  • ZTE Fit 4G Smart (Android 4.4.4)
  • Asus Transformer Prime and Infinity (TF 201 and TF700 with Android 7.1.2)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

true but most android phones are also cheaper. Yeah i mean if you dont care about the limitations and price for an iphone then its the best phone for you. Fact is that even older Iphones are still very snappy and responsive when using, more than all android phones

Smart phone cameras can't compare to full frame, no, but how many people buy full frame DSLR cameras?
Very few.

Apple does an excellent job with its cameras, yes, but that's what happens when you control both the software and hardware at that level. I don't think the top performers from Samsung, HTC, etc are that far off of Apple tbh. Look at the Pixel. It's widely known to have an amazing camera.

I think this is more an opinion piece than fact.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I think his post is misleading.

What he is talking about is third party camera apps. As long as you use the first party camera app Android itself is no different than iOS in terms of "holding the camera back". An OEM can do whatever they want in their own camera app without needing approval from Google.

However, if Samsung implements something special and want third party developers to be able to use it too then yes, they have to go to Google and convince them.

That was the only reason why I stuck with the first party ROM for my Galaxy S 4. Because third party camera apps sucked and will continue to suck.

As soon as you open up the stock camera app on your phone his entire argument becomes invalid.

The part about "the end of DSLRs for most people" is misleading too. Most people never used or needed a DSLR to begin with, so it never begun. Can't have an end without a beginning.

As for the people who still use DSLRs, they do so because of the lenses. You need different lenses for different things, and as long as smartphones don't have a lens mount they will always be in a completely different category than DSLRs.

1 minute ago, Tiwaz said:

Fact is that even older Iphones are still very snappy and responsive when using, more than all android phones

I like the extra features and customization in Android but the iPhone just feels more future proofed and makes it it feel worth holding for a two year contract than most Android phones. 

Just now, dizmo said:

I think this is more an opinion piece than fact.

I agree with that, as I call bs on a phone camera being better than a actual camera, as my trusty semi old digital camera takes better pictures than the neighbors new iPhone (then he broke the camera by leaning over a truck box side). Then if you want to go further with the picture quality argument, film(even 35mm, as it only gets better from  there) will probably better for the foreseeable future (or past the lifetime of the "smartphone" in my opinion)

I don't care about Android or iPhone, I care about the kind of color processing they do. I own an iPhone SE, it takes really great pictures, but I like more the colors of the OnePlus, I like more a neutral palette. I noticed the iPhone could have more HDR, it blows a couple colors compared to the OnePlus. I really dislike the over saturation of the Galaxy, but I know most people love it, as most people love over saturated everything, as most people like pop songs with volume at 110% for 90% of the song.

I'm still happy with my iPhone SE, I don't have the need of creating excuses like "you don't need more" or "I like more my 1080p camera because the photos are smaller" only to be happy with it. I can live knowing I like more the OnePlus. If you made a good purchase you won't feel the need to defend it.

3 minutes ago, TheGleaner said:

I agree with that, as I call bs on a phone camera being better than a actual camera, as my trusty semi old digital camera takes better pictures than the neighbors new iPhone (then he broke the camera by leaning over a truck box side). Then if you want to go further with the picture quality argument, film(even 35mm, as it only gets better from  there) will probably better for the foreseeable future (or past the lifetime of the "smartphone" in my opinion)

Haha, you think there will be an end to the smartphone?

Mmm. I'm not sure about the comparison with older digital cameras. Higher end phones produce some amazing results, and they're only getting better with dual camera systems. Hopefully we see 3 or 4 camera systems popping up in cameracentric phones in the near future. My Note5 produced pictures as good as most entry to mid range pocket cameras.

I haven't seen a true film camera in ages. I'd say its time has come and gone.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Haha, you think there will be an end to the smartphone?

Mmm. I'm not sure about the comparison with older digital cameras. Higher end phones produce some amazing results, and they're only getting better with dual camera systems. Hopefully we see 3 or 4 camera systems popping up in cameracentric phones in the near future. My Note5 produced pictures as good as most entry to mid range pocket cameras.

I haven't seen a true film camera in ages. I'd say its time has come and gone.

Even my Digital Rebel XTi from 2006 takes better photos than my smartphone. You can find them on the cheap nowdays.

only problem is they use CF and I have a expensive lenses so that might be why

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, JDE said:

Even my Digital Rebel XTi from 2006 takes better photos than my smartphone. You can find them on the cheap nowdays.

only problem is they use CF and I have a expensive lenses so that might be why

Yes, it's a DSLR, not a pocket camera. Not everyone wants to carry around a DSLR.

And that would most definitely be why ;) The lens plays a huge role.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Just now, dizmo said:

Yes, it's a DSLR, not a pocket camera. Not everyone wants to carry around a DSLR.

And that would most definitely be why ;) The lens plays a huge role.

71t+fBgYhyL._SL1500_.jpg

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

6 minutes ago, JDE said:

71t+fBgYhyL._SL1500_.jpg

Upon seeing this, I missed my Nikon D5100 which is no longer working. ☹️

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

Upon seeing this, I missed my Nikon D5100 which is no longer working. ☹️

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Not even Apple can software their way out of a hardware problem. What they and other phone makers do is a "good enough" job. I was surprised by the output of my work Samsung S6 when I got it, and it still has an edge over my personal Nexus 5X. I don't expect them to replace my DSLRs entirely, but small, always on hand, good enough quality outweigh a lot of disadvantages.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Windows Phone owner...Lumia 950 cries...*goes back in corner*

Yeah, I think smartphones have replaced point and shoot cameras (at least the entry level ones) but I don't think they're ever going to replace DSLRs / mirrorless cameras. Some cellphone's color processing can be kind of hideous (only to be made worse by filters). I think the major drawback of phone is you're pretty much stuck with the fixed lens (or two depending on the phone) so you might not get that shot composed like how you wanted with changing lenses / focal distance (if zoom lens).

I still carry my EOS M with the EF-M 22m f/2 everywhere in my backpack and it's amazing for it's size, even today. Though I'm kind of a photo snob so I carry camera gear with me anyway.

Vic Gundotra, quote, "If you truly care about great photography, you own an iPhone....." " The end of DSLR for most people has already arrived....."

I die many times reading those BS. Yeah, if your "photography" is only about shooting your kids and cat, then post those highly compressed JPG on Facebook. Go ahead with your smartphone.

People who cares about great photography will use a real camera, not a fucking phone.

3 minutes ago, Deli said:

People who cares about great photography will use a real camera, not a fucking phone.

What do you mean real camera? A camera is anything that can take pictures and video. I think you mean cameras with full frame sensor. 

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

What do you mean real camera? A camera is anything that can take pictures and video. I think you mean cameras with full frame sensor. 

Smartphone is a jack-of-all-trade device, like an Swiss army knife. Not a real camera.

It doesn't have to be full frame. Even M43 and APS-C cameras can have much better image quality than a little smartphone.

Just now, Deli said:

Smartphone is a jack-of-all-trade device. Not a real camera.

It doesn't have to be full frame. Even M43 and APS-C cameras can have much better image quality than a little smartphone.

But it doesn't change the fact that a smartphone camera is still a camera. ?

I'm really happy with the camera in my One plus 2, IMO it utterly destroys the IP4s I had in camera quality. The only problem I have with it is its abysmal low light preformance. As soon as it gets a little dark, like overcast or whatever, it's like it's painting rice grains lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

But it doesn't change the fact that a smartphone camera is still a camera. ?

It's like calling McDonald a restaurant. :)

6 minutes ago, Deli said:

It's like calling McDonald a restaurant. :)

It's a fast food restaurant ?

11 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

It's a fast food restaurant ?

Serving junk food, just like smartphone gives shitty photos.

You can even punch a small hole in a shoe box and makes a pin hole camera. Yeah, it's a "real" camera, if you can live with that shitty quality.