What is RX Vega's purpose?

Armakar

This isn't sarcasm or a troll thread, but am I the only one seeing absolutely no purpose for the RX Vega? It's (as far as I can tell) the same price or more expensive than the 1080, which will be replaced soon anyway. What exactly is the purpose? It seems AMD know full well it's overpriced and threw some vouchers in as an excuse to buy it over a 1080? It seems like all of these cards are 50$ overpriced if they want to compete with a 1080; and that's just for now.
Am I missing something?

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

Just now, Orangeator said:

To make money... Just like every other companies product.

Clearly I meant purpose in the market to consumers. Smartass.

Main Rig

The prices are supposed to be around the same, the $800+ ones were false.

It's exciting because it's AMD's first high end card in a while. But with that being said Volta (GTX 1100 series) is probably going to come around the corner and make Vega pointless (without a price drop)

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, Armakar said:

Clearly I meant purpose in the market to consumers. Smartass.

Hehehe.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

8 minutes ago, Armakar said:

This isn't sarcasm or a troll thread, but am I the only one seeing absolutely no purpose for the RX Vega? It's (as far as I can tell) the same price or more expensive than the 1080, which will be replaced soon anyway. What exactly is the purpose? It seems AMD know full well it's overpriced and threw some vouchers in as an excuse to buy it over a 1080? It seems like all of these cards are 50$ overpriced if they want to compete with a 1080; and that's just for now.
Am I missing something?

It's an upgrade for anybody who is currently enjoying their Fury with a Freesync monitor.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

It's AMD's bid to stay in the game. Their GPUs are almost always cheaper than nVidia's. but they are also less powerful. Gives budget minded consumers an option, and also forces prices to fall slightly.

If people aren't buying GTX10XX cards because they are pricey, then they're buying AMD RX XXX cards. ...and nVidia doesn't like that.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

It's AMD's bid to stay in the game. Their GPUs are almost always cheaper than nVidia's. but they are also less powerful. Gives budget minded consumers an option, and also forces prices to fall slightly.

If people aren't buying GTX10XX cards because they are pricy, then their buying AMD RX XXX cards. ...and nVidia doesn't like that.

I agree that that's usually the case, but in this case it makes no sense.. RX Vega 64 is (at best) as fast as a 1080, so why the hell is it more expensive? There's pretty much no reason to buy it over a 1080 if it's just as fast? Even if we pretend like Volta isn't going to come and destroy Vega, it still makes no sense.

Main Rig

All I know, is that I am more than happy with the barely used strix 980 ti I purchased for $293 not to long ago. Ah what a steal.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

11 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

The prices are supposed to be around the same, the $800+ ones were false.

except you haven't took into account VAT

Vega64 will be close to 800$ in EU

4 minutes ago, Armakar said:

I agree that that's usually the case, but in this case it makes no sense.. RX Vega 64 is (at best) as fast as a 1080, so why the hell is it more expensive? There's pretty much no reason to buy it over a 1080 if it's just as fast? Even if we pretend like Volta isn't going to come and destroy Vega, it still makes no sense.

new tech is always more expensive. They gotta pay those R&D bills somehow! but there's a lot of side effect cost savings AMD offers that nVidia doesn't, such as the afore mentioned FreeSync.

Just now, zMeul said:

well, sucks to live under your government's tax rules...

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

If people aren't buying GTX10XX cards, their buying AMD RX XXX cards. ...and nVidia doesn't like that.

Agree here, and in fairness up till the miners Fkd everything up the RX580/570 yes didn't beat the top tier GPU's from team green, they didn't need to, they were amazing buys and performance at the money. 

And yeah to me this is AMD staying Relevant, we all know they were not going to beat the 1080/Ti's but getting close for cheaper thats a card everyone would be interested in (except fan boys, and rich kids) 

Everyone keeps saying oh Volta, volta Volta.. I haven't heard a damn thing on it as to release or even what makes it so great. this whole oh don't by 9xx 10xx is coming.. oh don't buy 10xx 11xx is coming is so retarded, you might as well buy a console and enjoy that for a few years waiting for this permanent "xx coming out soon" 

Until its on the shelf or given a public announcement date, volta does not exsist in my mind. 

3 minutes ago, Armakar said:

Don't forget you only looking at speed.. I'm keen to see what it can do with HBM 2.0 or whatever its called. remember the fury how its side by side spec's to the Geforce's was a joke but that card is still holding its own today. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Just now, zMeul said:

Well I don't live in the EU and I'm sure there's plenty of other people here who also don't live in the EU.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

1 minute ago, Not_Sean said:

Agree here, and in fairness up till the miners Fkd everything up the RX580/570 yes didn't beat the top tier GPU's from team green, they didn't need to, they were amazing buys and performance at the money. 

And yeah to me this is AMD staying Relevant, we all know they were not going to beat the 1080/Ti's but getting close for cheaper thats a card everyone would be interested in (except fan boys, and rich kids) 

Everyone keeps saying oh Volta, volta Volta.. I haven't heard a damn thing on it as to release or even what makes it so great. this whole oh don't by 9xx 10xx is coming.. oh don't buy 10xx 11xx is coming is so retarded, you might as well buy a console and enjoy that for a few years waiting for this permanent "xx coming out soon" 

Until its on the shelf or given a public announcement date, volta does not exsist in my mind. 

Don't forget you only looking at speed.. I'm keen to see what it can do with HBM 2.0 or whatever its called. remember the fury how its side by side spec's to the Geforce's was a joke but that card is still holding its own today. 

Team green hasn't been asleep in the wheelhouse. That i can assure you.

System specs:

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

new tech is always more expensive. They gotta pay those R&D bills somehow! but there's a lot of side effect cost savings AMD offers that nVidia doesn't, such as the afore mentioned FreeSync.

well, sucks to live under your government's tax rules...

True and not true... I'm sure AMD can still make a good profit off this if it was 50 or even 100 dollars cheaper. Look at Ryzen, they developed that for double the time (4 years) they took to make Vega, and they sold it dirt cheap and totally undercut Intel. They could easily sell Ryzen chips for 50$ more then they could now and still sell tons; but they took the smart move and went much cheaper so it's hard to say no, and it was cheap right from the launch.

Vega makes no sense in this case, not only is it more expensive than a 1080 right at launch, and 1080 prices will just fall with Vega when Volta comes out.

Main Rig

1 minute ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Well I don't live in the EU and I'm sure there's plenty of other people here who also don't live in the EU.

I do

Main Rig

Just now, Armakar said:

I do

Alright, then I suppose what zmeul said applies to you.

✨PC Specs✨

To the OP you made a valid point that I never thought of. Volta is coming soon, AMD is late to the party. Soon Nvidia will be right back on top.

3 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

That's kind of ridiculosu to think. Obviously Volta will beat Vega and Pascal. Vega can't even compete with a 1080Ti as it is, and there's absolutley no arguement to say that Volta won't beat a 1080Ti too. Look at the past few generations, the X70 cards time and again beat the X8Ti cards. 970 == 780Ti, 1070 == 980Ti, both coming in at around $400. If and when NVidia release a 400$ card that smashes Vega and Pascal, exactly what is the purpose for Vega? AMD lose their " cheap undercut " price edge, and will have to move the RX Vega's price down to a RX580 to make it even considerable.

I don't see why people don't understand Volta will smash Vega. The 1080Ti is a crazy fast card and NVdia in recent generations has been seeing 30% performance increases card-to-card, even if Volta is dissapointing by NVidias standards, it's undeniable it's still going to beat Vega in performance and price.

Main Rig

4 minutes ago, Armakar said:

True and not true... I'm sure AMD can still make a good profit off this if it was 50 or even 100 dollars cheaper. Look at Ryzen, they developed that for double the time (4 years) they took to make Vega, and they sold it dirt cheap and totally undercut Intel. They could easily sell Ryzen chips for 50$ more then they could now and still sell tons; but they took the smart move and went much cheaper so it's hard to say no, and it was cheap right from the launch.

Vega makes no sense in this case, not only is it more expensive than a 1080 right at launch, and 1080 prices will just fall with Vega when Volta comes out.

well it's the economics of it all. they looked at what intel had done to handicap the market and bend the PC world to it's knees. AMD's political response was to cut the crap and sent the world a message Intel is not soon to forget.

System specs:

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

To the OP you made a valid point that I never thought of. Volta is coming soon, AMD is late to the party. Soon Nvidia will be right back on top.

People argue that "ofcourse Volta will beat Vega, they're different generations" but the point is AMD is over a year late in releasing these cards, and Volta is expected in 6 months or less. I think AMD's best play here was to do the same as they did with Ryzen, they knew Intel's 8 cores still beat their 8 cores, so don't compete in Price; that's what made Ryzen a huge victory for AMD. Imagine how big Vega would be and how much less disappointed people would be if the RX Vega was the price of a 1060. Then, it serves a purpose now, and depending on how the 2060 and 2070 cards perform, it might even serve a purpose when Volta comes.

Main Rig

1 minute ago, Armakar said:

People argue that "ofcourse Volta will beat Vega, they're different generations" but the point is AMD is over a year late in releasing these cards, and Volta is expected in 6 months or less. I think AMD's best play here was to do the same as they did with Ryzen, they knew Intel's 8 cores still beat their 8 cores, so don't compete in Price; that's what made Ryzen a huge victory for AMD. Imagine how big Vega would be and how much less disappointed people would be if the RX Vega was the price of a 1060. Then, it serves a purpose now, and depending on how the 2060 and 2070 cards perform, it might even serve a purpose when Volta comes.

no no, Volta will beat vega because nVidia is better at making GPUs than AMD. so long as nVidia doesn't pull an Intel, AMD will always be behind the curve, and they know it. the only way for them to stay afloat (in terms of relevancy) is to produce inexpensive cards that BARELY do the job. If they can't do that, they're sunk.

System specs:

12 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Team green hasn't been asleep in the wheelhouse. That i can assure you.

I completely agree, Volta will be epic BUt *See below

7 minutes ago, Armakar said:

*Snip

I'm not talking about Volta Vs Vega.. vega's fight is with 10xx and the next thing they release will fight Volta. I'm talking about over the past few years it goes like this.. Don't buy a 980Ti 10xx is coming out.. Years later 10xx Comes out.. Don't buy 10xx Vega is coming out soon.. Vega comes out.. Dont buy Vega Volta is coming out soon. After Volta comes out Don't buy volta buy Penutbutter coming out soon. 

It never bloody ends, right now, Don't bother with Volta OR vega, if you want the best buy the 1080Ti, ONCE volta gets a release date and its only a month or two away than wait but since we don't have squat on Volta besides the name and the hype there is zero point in holding off. 

Thats my point, not anything to do with Vega Vs Volta. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

RX Vega would be amazing if it were last summer, but that would be an impossible target as they were already rushed for this summer.. 

Feels like AMD is always one step behind for GPUs. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD