Youtube Creates YoutubeCanada

Youtube just started a YoutubeCanada section that's meant to highlight Canadian only content. You can read more about it here.

YouTube is putting a bigger bet on its most successful Canadian creators with a channel dedicated to promoting local talent.

The video streaming platform unveiled "Spotlight Canada" on Monday, a curated page that highlights some of the nation's standout videos. It's the first time a country has been singled out with its own curated content section.

It mainly just has news and some high viewed videos on it so far. Hopefully they expand on it so it showcases more Canadian content. Linus isn't even on there at all yet JusReigns song about Swag from 2012 is xD

i wonder if speirstheamazinghd will be on there. seeing he only games and he's only got like 1.5 million subs, i really doubt it, but it's possible.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

24 minutes ago, Paranoid Kami said:

Linus isn't even on there at all ye

I don't think he wants to be put into just YouTube Canada 

I suspect this was likely done to satisfy the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC), which has some strict policies requiring media delivered to Canadians to include a certain quota of Canadian-made content.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_content

I hope that it doesn't manipulate my recommended videos with stuff that just on the basis that it's Canadian.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

13 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

I suspect this was likely done to satisfy the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC), which has some strict policies requiring media delivered to Canadians to include a certain quota of Canadian-made content.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_content

I hope that it doesn't manipulate my recommended videos with stuff that just on the basis that it's Canadian.

The CRTC currently has no regulations that enforce CanCon upon websites.  So good guess, but wrong.

So this is what we get instead of YouTube Red?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Bloody youtube,  5 years ago everyone (and I mean everyone) was making money out of youtube without shit ads, without patoreon (however the fuck you spell it) and without all the silly suggestion algorithms etc.   So what changed? how did it suddenly become less profitable with more viewers/users? how did the arse end fall out of the money barrel when there was supposedly nothing wrong with the system?  

Now we have red, country specific, the need for a paywall or content creators can't actually generate enough to make it worthwhile and god knows what else is coming in the future. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Youtube Germany sucks, I hope it won't happen to Canada. I just tried to watch videos from a conservative Channel but it said: "This video is not available in your country". It worked just a few days ago....

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

Don't even tell me about it, I hate visiting my grandparents back in Hamburg more than half of my playlists in YouTube gets country blocked >_<

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

33 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Still love YouTube Red. No ads anywhere! Never thought about how annoying ads are until people show me videos on their phones and there are pre-roll ads. The Red exclusive content has not been my taste, except for VSauce's series.Also get GP Music, I honestly think that the interface is so intuitive compared to Spotify.

I used to be quite active here.

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

Still love YouTube Red. No ads anywhere! Never thought about how annoying ads are until people show me videos on their phones and there are pre-roll ads. The Red exclusive content has not been my taste, except for VSauce's series.Also get GP Music, I honestly think that the interface is so intuitive compared to Spotify.

I tried google play music for a month during a free trial and it can't come close to spotify's software imo

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I tried google play music for a month during a free trial and it can't come close to spotify's software imo

The PC version sucks, I have to admit. Like it's really terrible. Only a browser site. But I never listen to music on my PC so it doesn't affect me.

I think I love the GPM phone app cause I love all of Google's apps. All of the settings and preferences are in the same place as other Google apps. GPM lets me seamlessly play local music and stream music in the same play list (a feature that is apparently SUPER freaking complicated to do with Spotify for phones.)

All preference tho.

Just now, Kobathor said:

The PC version sucks, I have to admit. Like it's really terrible. Only a browser site. But I never listen to music on my PC so it doesn't affect me.

I think I love the GPM phone app cause I love all of Google's apps. All of the settings and preferences are in the same place as other Google apps. GPM lets me seamlessly play local music and stream music in the same play list (a feature that is apparently SUPER freaking complicated to do with Spotify for phones.)

All preference tho.

I mainly use it on PC so that could be the difference

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yes. The GPM web app is atrocious. :)

But back on topic- I'm not Canadian, but I feel like this would be a hindrance more than help. Sans news channels, I'm sure most of the content Canadians watch is not produced in Canada, unless they only watch Hardware Canucks and LTT. What purpose does it serve?

Just now, Kobathor said:

Yes. The GPM web app is atrocious. :)

But back on topic- I'm not Canadian, but I feel like this would be a hindrance more than help. Sans news channels, I'm sure most of the content Canadians watch is not produced in Canada, unless they only watch Hardware Canucks and LTT. What purpose does it serve?

I noticed this the other day too and I'm not sure what the point is.  I'll probably never see or watch it again

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I know, right?

Rumor has it that YouTube Canada will only allow polite videos of ice honey and lumberjacking to be uploaded. Pretty weird, eh?

7 hours ago, mr moose said:

Bloody youtube,  5 years ago everyone (and I mean everyone) was making money out of youtube without shit ads, without patoreon (however the fuck you spell it) and without all the silly suggestion algorithms etc.   So what changed? how did it suddenly become less profitable with more viewers/users? how did the arse end fall out of the money barrel when there was supposedly nothing wrong with the system?  

Now we have red, country specific, the need for a paywall or content creators can't actually generate enough to make it worthwhile and god knows what else is coming in the future.

I think a lot of things has changed.

1) People usually didn't have YouTube as their full-time job. In fact, a lot of people were just making videos for fun. I think there was a drastic shift from "I'm just gonna make videos because I enjoy it" to "I will make videos because it can be my job" sometime ~5 years ago. Making a bit of money on your hobby is a very different thing from having your livelihood depend on it.

2) If some content creators are to be believed, a lot of advertisers have stopped buying as much ads. The amount of creators and views have grown at a more rapid phase than the amount of ads that are bought and needs to be distributed. Basically, as more and more people make content, the fewer ads each individual video will get.

15 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I think a lot of things has changed.

1) People usually didn't have YouTube as their full-time job. In fact, a lot of people were just making videos for fun. I think there was a drastic shift from "I'm just gonna make videos because I enjoy it" to "I will make videos because it can be my job" sometime ~5 years ago. Making a bit of money on your hobby is a very different thing from having your livelihood depend on it.

2) If some content creators are to be believed, a lot of advertisers have stopped buying as much ads. The amount of creators and views have grown at a more rapid phase than the amount of ads that are bought and needs to be distributed. Basically, as more and more people make content, the fewer ads each individual video will get.

Maybe.  I know some advertisers stopped when their ads were supporting extremist videos.  But that I can't see as being that big of an issue to cause the whole thing to go belly up.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 hours ago, Kobathor said:

All preference tho.

9 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You guys should try Google Play Music Desktop Player (Catchy name, I know), it's an open source, third party desktop application for Google Play and it's brilliant.

https://www.googleplaymusicdesktopplayer.com/

10 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I could see them using this as a way to catapult development of YouTube Red exclusives for Canada. One of the big issue with bringing red to other countries is the licensing of their exclusives to bring them over.

That being said, if you're reading this Google, I don't care. Just give me ad-free and background playback. Shut up and take my money. I just want those two features without having to resort to some shady and buggy Chinese app downloaded off a random website (PVStar+)...