Modems an pfsense

I'm planning to set up a pfsense rater basted network and wondered if you need a separate modem for an adsl rj45/Rj11 Internet. If so does anyone have any recommendations. Thanks 

Yes you'lll still need a modem.

"Bridge Mode" is a common feature on lots of ISP-provided modem/router all-in-ones. (Google it)

This makes it just act as a modem, and you use one cat cable to connect it to your pfsense router.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, agent114 said:

I'm planning to set up a pfsense rater basted network and wondered if you need a separate modem for an adsl rj45/Rj11 Internet. If so does anyone have any recommendations. Thanks 

Best Idea I can give, you need to check your ISP's site for a supported device list. Good ISP's have one. Comcast my ISP has it where you put in the speed tier and they show what modems will work.  

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Most of the ADSL and VDSL modems in the UK support Bridge Mode to put the PPP authentication layer on to a network interface on the pfSense installation.

You will need to know your PPP credentials, if you are iusing BT Infinity these are generic credentials (bthomehub@btbroadband.com with any password.  Also if this is FTTC (Fiber to the cab) then you should set your MTU as 1508 (baby jumbo frames) within pfSense's PPPoE interface to take advantage of the larger MTU as 8 bytes is utilised by PPP layer on BT's network

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply