DAC/AMP recommendations

Slickrr13
2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

No it’s still worth buying, it just really doesn’t sound like a tube AMP. The Darkvoice sounds far more like a tube AMP than the Vali ever will because it’s an actual tube AMP, where the Vali is a hybrid.

Have you ever heard the darkvoice or vali?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

8 minutes ago, spwath said:

Personally no, but I’m basing my opinions off of the opinions of others. I was right about Vali as Dackzy explained.

9 minutes ago, spwath said:

But not having heard something doesn’t mean you can’t give correct advice. When you recommend PC builds to people, have you tried every part to know if they are good? No, you base it off of reviews and others opinions.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

Personally no, but I’m basing my opinions off of the opinions of others. I was right about Vali as Dackzy explained.

I don't think I was wrong about the vali, just talking about different aspects.

I have not head the darkvoice, but from what ive heard, it is just generally not worth purchasing, due to its darkness, and not tubieness.

But not having heard something doesn’t mean you can’t give correct advice. When you recommend PC builds to people, have you tried every part to know if they are good? No, you base it off of reviews and others opinions.

That is completely different. A graphics card, for example, will be benchmarked, and you can see exactly as it perfoms.

Audio equipment is subjectively tested, and people think different things about it. Many audio reviewers, and almost all youtube audio reviewers, don't really know what they are talking about, and can not form good impressions of a piece of gear.

Now I have not heard the darkvoice, but the opinions I have heard have been from well respected audio people, that I know to know there stuff. Not sure where you get your info from, but many people are just not good to get an opinion from.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

2 minutes ago, spwath said:

I don't think I was wrong about the vali, just talking about different aspects.

I have not head the darkvoice, but from what ive heard, it is just generally not worth purchasing, due to its darkness, and not tubieness.

That is completely different. A graphics card, for example, will be benchmarked, and you can see exactly as it perfoms.

Audio equipment is subjectively tested, and people think different things about it. Many audio reviewers, and almost all youtube audio reviewers, don't really know what they are talking about, and can not form good impressions of a piece of gear.

Now I have not heard the darkvoice, but the opinions I have heard have been from well respected audio people, that I know to know there stuff. Not sure where you get your info from, but many people are just not good to get an opinion from.

I wouldn’t say the Darkvoice is dark from what I’ve heard to quote Dackzy.

DarkVoice 336SE (tube) EU= 320€ US= 320$.

This is an amp that doesn’t really do anything impressive, but it offers a decent value. It is a very warm tube amp and it has preout.

3 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

I wouldn’t say the Darkvoice is dark from what I’ve heard to quote Dackzy.

DarkVoice 336SE (tube) EU= 320€ US= 320$.

This is an amp that doesn’t really do anything impressive, but it offers a decent value. It is a very warm tube amp and it has preout.

Dark is similar to warm.

Here are some good impressions of it

http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/darkvoice-336se.1785/

Maybe its a bit better than I made it out to be, but its generally not something that is recommended. Something like the Valhalla 2, at around the same price, would be better.

Just now, spwath said:

Dark is similar to warm.

Here are some good impressions of it

http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/darkvoice-336se.1785/

Maybe its a bit better than I made it out to be, but its generally not something that is recommended. Something like the Valhalla 2, at around the same price, would be better.

Yes the Valhalla 2 would be better, but it costs $150 more, that’s why we are comparing the Vali and Darkvoice because the prices are similar. Valhalla costs far more at $350.

Yes the Valhalla 2 would be better, but it costs $150 more, that’s why we are comparing the Vali and Darkvoice because the prices are similar. Valhalla costs far more at $350.

I thought the Darkvoice was around $300?

Cheaper when its on massdrop, but its not there now.

1 minute ago, spwath said:

I thought the Darkvoice was around $300?

Cheaper when its on massdrop, but its not there now.

Darkvoice is $200, and it goes on Massdrop around every 3 weeks or so. It will definitely come back on well before he gets his 6XXs

2 hours ago, spwath said:

I have never heard the darkvoice, but ive heard others impressions. The darkvoice colours the sound too much, trying to make it... dark. From what ive heard, the darkvoice negates most benefits of a tube amp.

Ive heard vali 1, and Valhalla 2. Both will have a wider sound stage, and what many refer too as tube "holography". I noticed more bass present in both of them compared to magni 2. Valhalla is like the vali, but everything was just better. So Vali 2 is very good, for the price, like a baby Valhalla.

As others have stated, I read that the Vali 2 is somewhat of a hybrid, however; it is a good price. The Vali 2 will definitely be something I look into due to it being slightly cheaper and highly recommended. If the Valhalla ends up on massdrop I might grab that instead, we will see.

Thanks for the input.  

As @Max_Settings said, I will not have my HD6XX until december, and the TH-00x do not need an AMP. So those will get me by until then, so i have time to do more research and look at good deals on Massdrop.

CPU  i7 6850k 

GPU: EVA FTW3 3080

Monitor: Dell 2716DGR +  another 1440p ultra sharp.

SSD: 512GB 850 Pro | 970 Pro 500

AMP/DAC:Magni 3 + Modi  2.

Headphones: HD 6XX, Argons, HD 660S and like 9 more

Just now, Slickrr13 said:

If the Valhalla ends up on massdrop I might grab that instead, we will see.

To my knowledge no Schiit product has ever been on Massdrop

4 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

To my knowledge no Schiit product has ever been on Massdrop

Fingers crossed, and if not I can just grab a Vali or the Darkvoice.  I am positive I will like both AMPs. Both will probably be good for me. 

CPU  i7 6850k 

Fingers crossed, and if not I can just grab a Vali or the Darkvoice.  I am positive I will like both AMPs. Both will probably be good for me. 

I would also look at the Aune X7S if you want to get into balanced

4 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

A quick google search showed it has been on massdrop, what was the price on massdrop?

Also, I have a 2.1 setup on my desk for movies and what not. 

(klipsch promedia 2.1)

Will I be able to hook these up to the AMP at the same time? Or will i have one to have plugged in at a time?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help.

CPU  i7 6850k 

1 minute ago, Slickrr13 said:

A quick google search showed it has been on massdrop, what was the price on massdrop?

Also, I have a 2.1 setup on my desk for movies and what not. 

(klipsch promedia 2.1)

Will I be able to hook these up to the AMP at the same time? Or will i have one to have plugged in at a time?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the help.

With the Aune yes you can, as long as it breaks down to 2 RCA cables. But you will have to unplug your headphones because there is no selctable mode.

Just now, Max_Settings said:

With the Aune yes you can, as long as it breaks down to 2 RCA cables. But you will have to unplug your headphones because there is no selctable mode.

The klipsch promedia 2.1 are pretty cheap, the sub plugs into the wall and the speakers connect to the sub via wires. The only cable is the green one that plugs into the motherboard. There are no RCA cables. I can just leave them plugged into my motherboard worst case.

CPU  i7 6850k 

The klipsch promedia 2.1 are pretty cheap, the sub plugs into the wall and the speakers connect to the sub via wires. The only cable is the green one that plugs into the motherboard. There are no RCA cables. I can just leave them plugged into my motherboard worst case.

Oh it breaks down to a 3.5mm? Just buy an RCA to 3.5mm adapter.

Oh it a;; breaks down to a 3.5mm? Just buy an RCA to 3.5mm adapter.

Haha wow I should have thought about that! Brilliant 

CPU  i7 6850k 

6 minutes ago, Slickrr13 said:

what was the price on massdrop

Oh sorry, forgot to answer the question. If I recall it was $215 for the silver one and $230 for the black one.

Haha wow I should have thought about that! Brilliant 

Now I would only get this if you want to use balanced, if all you want is a 1/4in there are better options

Now I would only get this if you want to use balanced, if all you want is a 1/4in there are better options

I am not sure what you mean, I already have a 3.5 to 1/4 adapter if that is what you are referring too. 

CPU  i7 6850k 

I am not sure what you mean, I already have a 3.5 to 1/4 adapter if that is what you are referring too. 

4pin XLR is what is called balanced this is supported on the X7S

isokinetik-indigo-balanced-xlr-4-pin-headphone-cable-.jpg.21bf7c09b86a3ad1cfc30d0f24a46d69.jpg

12 minutes ago, Slickrr13 said:

I'm assuming now you want me to explain what balanced is?

34 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Not truly balanced if it accepts single ended inputs, and, you shouldn't buy that amp just because it is balanced. Balanced isn't necessarily better. It is technically better, but you should consider that last. A good single ended amp is better than an ok balanced amp, often at the same price point.

Just now, spwath said:

Not truly balanced if it accepts single ended inputs, and, you shouldn't buy that amp just because it is balanced. Balanced isn't necessarily better. It is technically better, but you should consider that last. A good single ended amp is better than an ok balanced amp, often at the same price point.

Fair point, it does use some trickery to make a balanced signal, but the X7S is a good AMP over all as well.