DAC/AMP recommendations

Slickrr13

Hello everyone,

I am ignorant in regards to audio so please bare with me.

I recently purchased the HD6XX and the TH-X00 from mass drop. 

So now I need to grab an AMP and a DAC.

I tend to like a slightly warmer sound, so Tube amps seem like a good option for me, but a solid state amp  would work for me as well.

I am just starting out and will likely buy more DAC/AMPS in the future, but for now I need a good starter DAC/AMP

Everyone seems to like the SCHIIT STACK.

My budget is 200$-300$. 

Any recommendations?

Thanks

CPU  i7 6850k 

GPU: EVA FTW3 3080

Monitor: Dell 2716DGR +  another 1440p ultra sharp.

SSD: 512GB 850 Pro | 970 Pro 500

AMP/DAC:Magni 3 + Modi  2.

Headphones: HD 6XX, Argons, HD 660S and like 9 more

Let me edit it LMAO, I hit space and enter and it posted the topic LOL

CPU  i7 6850k 

3 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

4 minutes ago, Gungpae said:

Hi!

Fixed lmao

CPU  i7 6850k 

Just now, Slickrr13 said:

Fixed lmao

Schiit stack is very good, that's why it is popular. For that price range that is probably what I would go with. TH-X00s are not hard to drive, HD6XXs are a bit harder to drive, and do benefit from an AMP. 

3 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Schiit stack is very good, that's why it is popular. For that price range that is probably what I would go with. TH-X00s are not hard to drive, HD6XXs are a bit harder to drive, and do benefit from an AMP. 

Yeah that is what I keep seeing. All of the recommended tube amps seem to be double my budget. I just was curious as to if anyone else had alternative recommendations other than the Schiit stack. 

Most likely will go with the Stack.

CPU  i7 6850k 

2 minutes ago, Slickrr13 said:

Yeah that is what I keep seeing. All of the recommended tube amps seem to be double my budget. I just was curious as to if anyone else had alternative recommendations other than the Schiit stack. 

Most likely will go with the Stack.

Best Tube amp for your budget is the Darkvoice 336SE, for $200 when it goes on Massdrop. Then get a Modi 2 for $100. Just note that tube amp get extremely hot. The tubes on the Darkvoice for example can hit 300 degrees so you have to be very careful not to burn yourself or burn your house down.

43 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Best Tube amp for your budget is the Darkvoice 336SE, for $200 when it goes on Massdrop. Then get a Modi 2 for $100. Just note that tube amp get extremely hot. The tubes on the Darkvoice for example can hit 300 degrees so you have to be very careful not to burn yourself or burn your house down.

Is it okay to just leave it sitting on the table if it gets that hot? 

Odds are I will get a tube amp eventually, I just have to decide which  type of amp I buy first. For a slightly warmer sound would you recommend the Darkvoice versus the stack? I do not mind going over my budget if I need too. 

CPU  i7 6850k 

1 minute ago, Slickrr13 said:

Odds are I will get a tube amp eventually, I just have to decide which  type of amp I buy first. For a slightly warmer sound would you recommend the Darkvoice versus the stack? I do not mind going over my budget if I need too. 

Yes, it's only the tube part that gets that hot. The rest of the units is only a little over 100 degrees. Yes the Darkvoice would be warmer than the Magni 2 part of the Stack, but if you get the Darkvoice you also need to get a DAC, so get the Modi 2.

32 minutes ago, Slickrr13 said:

Don't get the Darkvoice. Its stupid. A tube amp trying to be... dark.

Get the Schiit Vali 2, or the Valhalla 2. Great amps. I personaly use a Valhalla 2 with HD650 (same as 6xx) and TH-X00

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

1 hour ago, Max_Settings said:

Yes, it's only the tube part that gets that hot. The rest of the units is only a little over 100 degrees. Yes the Darkvoice would be warmer than the Magni 2 part of the Stack, but if you get the Darkvoice you also need to get a DAC, so get the Modi 2.

I will definitely keep my options open to that. I might reply to this topic and ask a few more questions before I buy them. That will be around mid to late October. I appreciate your input.

40 minutes ago, spwath said:

Don't get the Darkvoice. Its stupid. A tube amp trying to be... dark.

Get the Schiit Vali 2, or the Valhalla 2. Great amps. I personaly use a Valhalla 2 with HD650 (same as 6xx) and TH-X00

What does the Vali or Valhalla have that makes them better than the dark voice? I would like actual evidence instead of

" This one is better because I said so".

I am sure they are wonderful, but I need to know if it is worth it compared to the darkvoice.

CPU  i7 6850k 

1 minute ago, Slickrr13 said:

I will definitely keep my options open to that. I might reply to this topic and ask a few more questions before I buy them. That will be around mid to late October. I appreciate your input.

What does the Vali or Valhalla have that makes them better than the dark voice? I would like actual evidence instead of

" This one is better because I said so".

I sure they are wonderful, but I need to know if it is worth it compared to the darkvoice.

I have never heard the darkvoice, but ive heard others impressions. The darkvoice colours the sound too much, trying to make it... dark. From what ive heard, the darkvoice negates most benefits of a tube amp.

Ive heard vali 1, and Valhalla 2. Both will have a wider sound stage, and what many refer too as tube "holography". I noticed more bass present in both of them compared to magni 2. Valhalla is like the vali, but everything was just better. So Vali 2 is very good, for the price, like a baby Valhalla.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

4 minutes ago, spwath said:

I have never heard the darkvoice, but ive heard others impressions. The darkvoice colours the sound too much, trying to make it... dark. From what ive heard, the darkvoice negates most benefits of a tube amp.

Ive heard vali 1, and Valhalla 2. Both will have a wider sound stage, and what many refer too as tube "holography". I noticed more bass present in both of them compared to magni 2. Valhalla is like the vali, but everything was just better. So Vali 2 is very good, for the price, like a baby Valhalla.

The Vali 2 is a Hybrid AMP, not a tube AMP. From what I've heard, it sounds more or less like a solid state.

5 minutes ago, spwath said:

Also the Magni has more power than the Vali

Just now, Max_Settings said:

The Vali 2 is a Hybrid AMP, not a tube AMP. From what I've heard, it sounds more or less like a solid state.

From what ive heard with my ears, it sounds like a tube amp.

Also the Magni has more power than the Vali

That doesn't matter. My vali was never turned above 1/2. Magni has too much power (imo) for the small knob.

2 minutes ago, spwath said:

Eh...I have heard both opinions about it, because it’s hybrid

2 minutes ago, spwath said:

That doesn't matter. My vali was never turned above 1/2. Magni has too much power (imo) for the small knob.

Yeah I know it doesn’t really matter unless he’s getting super high end stuff, but was just throwing it out there.

Eh...I have heard both opinions about it, because it’s hybrid

Ok, well from what ive heard with my ears, and from many other audio people, it has many tube qualities. And, since that doesn't really mean much, it just sounds good.

It doesn't sound like a tube amp in the way a cheapish Chinese tube amp will sound bloomy and warm, but a good tube amp shouldn't.

1 minute ago, spwath said:

it is one of the more SS sounding hybrid amps you can find.

Also ohm doesn't equal power needed

Spoiler

TH-X00tx00.png.f32be2a66f5b2b307c6658867801594e.png

HD 6xx

597fb34f343d6_hd650.png.1e9f25b736269539fa4f1f029c6f5994.png

1 minute ago, spwath said:

but a good tube amp shouldn't.

that very much depends on who you ask, there are a lot of people that tube roll the vali 2 to get it warmer

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Maybe, but it doesn't make it not worth buying.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

that very much depends on who you ask, there are a lot of people that tube roll the vali 2 to get it warmer

Warmer, maybe, but not bloomy and excessively warm

Just now, spwath said:

ofc not, it is a solid little amp.

Just now, spwath said:

Warmer, maybe, but not bloomy and excessively warm

Well I can see how some people would like that, but yes not overly bloomy.

TBH I first think tube amps become "fun" once you hit the feliks elise, but that is prob just more a personal thing. Also nice to see you again :D 

Anyways back to my slumber

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

29 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Also ohm doesn't equal power needed

Reveal hidden contents

TH-X00tx00.png.f32be2a66f5b2b307c6658867801594e.png

HD 6xx

597fb34f343d6_hd650.png.1e9f25b736269539fa4f1f029c6f5994.png

Finally found something we agree on bud ?

38 minutes ago, spwath said:

No it’s still worth buying, it just really doesn’t sound like a tube AMP. The Darkvoice sounds far more like a tube AMP than the Vali ever will because it’s an actual tube AMP, where the Vali is a hybrid.