Is Windows Defender + Malware Bytes Enough?

Title, I hate how much bloat and speed reduction Avast etc introduce to my PC.

2 minutes ago, Bob Jim said:

Title, I hate how much bloat and speed reduction Avast etc introduce to my PC.

depends what you do, do you download: "free Minecraft hacks 2017 no virus", or do you just play (legal) games?

1 minute ago, lolimpol said:

depends what you do, do you download: "free Minecraft hacks 2017 no virus", or do you just play (legal) games?

I'm not stupid, if that's what you're asking. What benefits would,say, avast have over windows defender?

Just now, Bob Jim said:

I'm not stupid, if that's what you're asking. What benefits would,say, avast have over windows defender?

it's annoying at times, but it is capable of doing better scans, Avast is a company made for virus detection and elimination, Microsoft is not

I use Sophos Home, don't really notice it at all. We've got Sophos Enterprise at work as well. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

I use Sophos Home, don't really notice it at all. We've got Sophos Enterprise at work as well. 

I have NEVER heard of Sophos :D. is it any good? (free?)

Just now, lolimpol said:

I have NEVER heard of Sophos :D. is it any good? (free?)

Yup, Sophos Home is free, but you need an account since the management is cloud based. Super smooth, super secure. Strange you've never heard of them, they're a massive Antivirus company with a bunch of Enterprise stuff. Maybe that's why, since it's mostly for businesses. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I'll reccomend Windows defender (W10 one) any day over Avast and AVG, but yeah if you practise common sense you'll be fine, also just had a ssd for windows and a hdd for storage and if the worst happens just format re install, I do one every few months aways 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yup, Sophos Home is free, but you need an account since the management is cloud based. Super smooth, super secure. Strange you've never heard of them, they're a massive Antivirus company with a bunch of Enterprise stuff. Maybe that's why, since it's mostly for businesses. 

I might consider going to this though: https://www.pcoptimizerpro.com/, my grandma has had good customer support experience.

Just now, lolimpol said:

I might consider going to this though: https://www.pcoptimizerpro.com/, my grandma has had good customer support experience.

No idea what that is, but it looks fake and scummy. Sophos has a great rep, AFAIK. I think it's like Bitdefender, in that most of their customers are businesses, so most people don't know much about them. 

Main PC 

Just now, Zando Bob said:

No idea what that is, but it looks fake and scummy. Sophos has a great rep, AFAIK. I think it's like Bitdefender, in that most of their customers are businesses, so most people don't know much about them. 

https://www.google.nl/search?q=pc+optimizer+pro&oq

lol first result

you should watch this BTW ;)

13 minutes ago, lolimpol said:

it's annoying at times, but it is capable of doing better scans, Avast is a company made for virus detection and elimination, Microsoft is not

Haha yeah... You know... Microsoft... the company that makes the operating system... How could they ever know enough about their own product to figure out how to keep it functioning properly?

That would be like asking Boeing to inspect a 737. Completely unreasonable.

Just now, NowThatsDamp said:

Haha yeah... You know... Microsoft... the company that makes the operating system... How could they ever know enough about their own product to figure out how to keep it functioning properly?

That would be like asking Boeing to inspect a 737. Completely unreasonable.

I mean that their main focus isn't using a VM to download all viruses in the world, and finding a way to disable it. (don't know if that is how they do it). point is: it isn't Microsoft main focus.

Just be careful, and its more than enough (:

Edit: If you need a good antivirus software, that does not impact your system i recommend bitdefender

2 minutes ago, lolimpol said:

I mean that their main focus isn't using a VM to download all viruses in the world, and finding a way to disable it. (don't know if that is how they do it). point is: it isn't Microsoft main focus.

However Microsoft has incentive to make an AV tool that is as least intrusive as possible while still scanning for threats. Which for the most part, traditional virus scanners aren't really working anymore when most of the blackhat want to make use of zero day exploits. AV should be more of a safety net in case you fall.

There's also some reports way back when that some AVs do questionable things that actually make your system less secure.