Coffee Lake to have similar TIM as KabyLake?

For Science!
17 minutes ago, themctipers said:

when will intel run out of their expired mayo paste?

at least solder the K series and the HEDT, people who buy those want good temps and cverclock, and won't keep their computers for a decade unlike OEM machines.

Real enthusiasts delid.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Just now, AnonymousGuy said:

Real enthusiasts delid.

rather not thanks

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

except it's not the TIM that is the problem, it's the z height between the die and the IHS

but, no matter how many times this is told and repeated, here, on Anand and everywhere else ... you blame the TIM -_-

Except that isn't entirely true. Just look at devil's canyon vs haswell OG for proof of that. Z height did not change, yet there were drastic improvements to cooling with the new TIM. 

Both of those factors are responsible for the poor thermals present on kaby, z height isn't the only thing to blame. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

4 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Real enthusiasts delid.

Real enthusiasts prefer solder. One does not simply put liquid metal under subzero, lol. There is a reason they remove their CLU and use Kryonaut or Kingpin Smurf-paste when doing subzero. LM flakes out under extreme cold.

Either way, soldering a die that small has been said to cause issues with longevity (more likely to form voids close enough to crack the die): http://overclocking.guide/the-truth-about-cpu-soldering/

However, they did solder CPU's with even smaller dies back in the day, so I don't really understand the physics behind it, but that is the excuse they are going with.

4 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Except that isn't entirely true. Just look at devil's canyon vs haswell OG for proof of that. Z height did not change, yet there were drastic improvements to cooling with the new TIM. 

Both of those factors are responsible for the poor thermals present on kaby, z height isn't the only thing to blame. 

Do we have any evidence that the TIM used on Kaby, changed from that used on Haswell DC or Skylake? Also, the IHS is thicker on Skylake/Kaby than what it was on Haswell (DC). I do not know if this will impact the results if any, but it should be noted: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9505/skylake-cpu-package-analysis

So why are we talking about removing the heatspreader? Back with Haswell (as well as Ivy Bridge to a degree), it was discovered that the thermal interface material between the silicon die and the heatspreader was both an insufficient amount and lower quality than previous generations, as well as the heatspreader being far away from the CPU due to the black adhesive, causing more air bubbles and poorer heat transfer than is optimal. For a stock processor, this difference has little effect to the use of the system, but for overclockers it meant that they were more thermally limited than silicon limited with their overclocking.

They go on to say that Splave said the paste on Skylake was worse (though, hard to say without testing) and that they didn't use enough on the die to make up for the added thickness of the IHS. IF this is indeed the trend that led to Kaby's high temperatures, it's still a fault if the application process, and not the paste itself. Not using enough paste isn't a good enough reason to call the paste itself bad. Now if splave found out the exact blend of paste that they used, and tested with an adequate amount of it and concluded it was bad, I would certainly believe him. I just don't see him doing that, nor do I see any evidence of him having done that. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

29 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Real enthusiasts delid.

Mmmmm, no true scotsman. Always love that fallacy.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

21 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

except I'm not talking about old CPUs

I'm talking about Skylake and Kaby - people have delided these CPUs and used the same TIM while removing the IHS sealant thus reducing z height

there was a whole thread about this stuff on Anand's forums - there was also a separate thread on why soldering the desktop oriented parts isn't going to happen anytime soon

On 8/1/2017 at 3:39 AM, themctipers said:

when will intel run out of their expired mayo paste?

at least solder the K series and the HEDT, people who buy those want good temps and cverclock, and won't keep their computers for a decade unlike OEM machines.

For mainstream, the K series is binned after attaching the IHS so unless they solder the entire line up, it won't happen.

But the hedt lineup should be 100% soldered anyway imo.

The problem is I think there are a lot of extremely smart thermal, metalugy engineers in intel and they have done their homework about it but it comes down to a cost/benefit performance/longevity analysis at the end and we get what we get.

8 minutes ago, mrthuvi said:

For mainstream, the K series is binned after attaching the IHS so unless they solder the entire line up, it won't happen.

The problem is I think there are a lot of extremely smart thermal, metalugy engineers in intel and they have done their homework about it but it comes down to a cost/benefit performance/longevity analysis at the end and we get what we get.

I've said many times before, Intel don't design chips for overclocker's, they design chips for everyone else, and if they can bin a few and market them to overclocker's then that's just extra cash.   They have a  validation process and a spec to ensure each chip performs as advertised and within a healthy safety margin. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 7/31/2017 at 0:45 PM, zMeul said:

except it's not the TIM that is the problem, it's the z height between the die and the IHS

but, no matter how many times this is told and repeated, here, on Anand and everywhere else ... you blame the TIM -_-

Then why does replacing the TIM solve the problem?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

23 minutes ago, mrthuvi said:

HEDT people don't keep their chips for a decade

maybe somewhere between 5-7 years MAX

thats probably the starting point where micro fracture make a difference, the STARTING point. 

the mayo they use IIRC is made for being able to withstand temperature exchange and changes for a decade or decades, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

On 7/31/2017 at 11:50 AM, For Science! said:

Not entirely convinced this is actually true, I have delidded and relidded my CPU with liquid metal (I.e. re-introduced said Z-height difference) and observed substantially improved thermals, and there are also plenty of others in the same boat. 

On the other hand you have Linus who delidded a 6700K and used conventional thermal paste and no relid (and therefore no Z-height) and only oberseved marginal temperature improvements. So I would argue that the paste material does make a notable impact on performance.

The TIM is a bottleneck, and replacing it with a liquid metal can be very benefitial (especially when going for high overclocks), but for stock clocks and mid overclocks, the TIM is not an issue. Irregular (arguably faulty) process is.

However, you won't see much difference delidding at stock with ambient cooling, which is what Linus' video covers (their "testing" is a pathetic joke, and they're not that good for any in depth info anymore), but not when overclocking.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.