Can I play on 1080p with my 720p tv

JeI2emy

If your GPU supports it you can upscale to 1080p (not true pixels) via DSR or VSR but it won't look good as native 1080p

Your TV is a 720p and there isn't a way to make it higher

Yes just upscale

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 5800x
  • Motherboard
    Asus ROG Strix B550
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200MHz 32GB (16x2)
  • GPU
    EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080TI
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R5
  • Storage
    WD Black SN750 500GB NVMe SSD | WD Green 2TB HD | WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 850W
  • Display(s)
    Asus 1920x1080p 144hz
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master Master Liquid 240
  • Keyboard
    Logitech Pro TKL
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
    Logitech G733
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Up scaling or AA, but not quite the same as native resoluction. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

If your GPU supports it you can upscale to 1080p (not true pixels) via DSR or VSR but it won't look good as native 1080p

Just read that upscaled may be a little "blocky" compared to Native 720p, will this affect me at all? Or is it only noticeable on larger displays 

I'd just go for 720p. It'll look insanely better than consoles regardless. 

NOT upscaling, downsampling. Very different thing and the results can drastically vary. For me, I've never been able to downsample and have it look good (with either AMD or Nvidia GPUs - it always looks VERY blurry for some reason). Although if you can get it to work for you, it should definitely look much better than if you were to upscale from 720p to 1080p, for example.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

1 minute ago, JeI2emy said:

Just read that upscaled may be a little "blocky" compared to Native 720p, will this affect me at all? Or is it only noticeable on larger displays 

What? I play 1080 with my TV, and there's no blocky bits. Mine's a 32" 720P model, so your TV should be fine.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

5 minutes ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

NOT upscaling, downsampling. Very different thing and the results can drastically vary. For me, I've never been able to downsample and have it look good (with either AMD or Nvidia GPUs - it always looks VERY blurry for some reason). Although if you can get it to work for you, it should definitely look much better than if you were to upscale from 720p to 1080p, for example.

Read Downsampling really hurts the GPU performance,I´ll be buying this GPU:https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N970G1-GAMING-4GD-rev-10-11#ov dont know if it can handle it well

16 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

15 minutes ago, StepinCurry said:

Yes just upscale

12 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

Up scaling or AA, but not quite the same as native resoluction. 

Producing a 1080p image and scaling it to 720p for display is downscaling, not upscaling

5 minutes ago, JeI2emy said:

Read Downsampling really hurts the GPU performance,I´ll be buying this GPU:https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N970G1-GAMING-4GD-rev-10-11#ov dont know if it can handle it well

Think of downsampling like rendering a resolution in full and... well downsampling that to fit your display. Essentially, it's rendering at 1080p even on your 720p display. GTX 970 is still good at 1080p but you do want to watch out for some games depending on the target frame rate. If you end up having issues in terms of performance, I think it's generally preferable to have greater in-game settings instead of the downsampling but it's always going to be a matter of preference of one thing over another. 

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

4 minutes ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

Think of downsampling like rendering a resolution in full and... well downsampling that to fit your display. Essentially, it's rendering at 1080p even on your 720p display. GTX 970 is still good at 1080p but you do want to watch out for some games depending on the target frame rate. If you end up having issues in terms of performance, I think it's generally preferable to have greater in-game settings instead of the downsampling but it's always going to be a matter of preference of one thing over another. 

Thank you, I will try downsampling if it doesn´t affect performance that much, if it does I´ll just stick to 720p. 1080p monitors are really cheap rn so it won´t take too long to upgrade.

the question is why?

quality wont improve much from upscaling 720->1080, you'll essentially just be wasting gpu cycles and have text be harder to read.

1 hour ago, JeI2emy said:

Thank you, I will try downsampling if it doesn´t affect performance that much, if it does I´ll just stick to 720p. 1080p monitors are really cheap rn so it won´t take too long to upgrade.

Playing at 1080p and downscaling to 720p is the same performance hit as playing at 1080p (in fact, it is playing at 1080p, it isn't a different thing).

4 hours ago, Glenwing said:

Producing a 1080p image and scaling it to 720p for display is downscaling, not upscaling

yeah wrong terminology sorry

1 hour ago, Glenwing said:

Apparently it is a common mistake

For only $1 more, we can Up Size your combo a small soda and small fries!