S8 vs OnePlus5 vs ???

LetsFailNoob

Now I'm already sitting here, thinking about this for several days, but I still can't decide on what to go for.

First of all I thoght "no way" when I when talking about buying a S8, but since the current price here is 600€, and the OP5 is 500, I am seriously struggling on what to go for.

There are three things that leads me towards the S8

• More comfortable to hold and use with one hand (although bad position of the Fingerprintsensor)
  • Better Screen
  • Water Resistant

Are any of you guys familiar with those phones and are willing to share your experience with either of the phones with me?

Or is there any other phone in that price range (400-600) which I should take a look at, or maybe even wait for?

P.S: If you're interested: Currently I am using a Huawei GX8, which kind of works fine, but just annoys me way to much in certain areas, so that's why I am thinking about a upgrade/change.

The s8 is the definite better phone.Have you considerd the iphone or are you one of those pepole

My life

not a comparison, if you can afford an s8 go for it, the s7 is also an option if you are looking for something cheaper. 

Just now, Himommies said:

The s8 is the definite better phone.Have you considerd the iphone or are you one of those pepole

I am absolutely not one of those people that hates iPhones only because they're iPhones, but I am one of those people who can't afford buying one.

Just now, LetsFailNoob said:

I am absolutely not one of those people that hates iPhones only because they're iPhones, but I am one of those people who can't afford buying one.

I assume If you can afford a S8 you can probaly get a iphone 7.But out of those 2 definitley get the s8

My life

I assume If you can afford a S8 you can probaly get a iphone 7.But out of those 2 definitley get the s8

Well I mean it's not like 600€ isn't much for me, but the iPhone 7 is still about 150€ more expensive.

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

I wouldn't get the 7 at this point, the 8 is coming out soon.

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Fair point,but 2 months is a long time for me.But still get the S8

My life

3 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Coming out? It's already out o.O

Edit: oh nvm, talking about iphone....

Fair point,but 2 months is a long time for me.But still get the S8

Well also the iPhone 8 is supposed to cost $1200-$1500

Btw, any particular reason why to go with the S8, besides the above mentioned reasons?

And you have to consider that in my country the S8 comes with the Exynos 8895, not with the Qualcomm.

i've been using my s8 for a few weeks, it's a gorgeous phone. but it's not the looks that got me, it's the display and screen-to-body ratio. it's unbelievable that the screen is (slightly) larger than my 6p but smaller in size. and the 18.5:9 ratio is very immersive

however there's some issues with it

- bixby + bixby button

- fingerprint sensor placement

- revamped touchwiz, but it's not nearly as bad as i thought

- i'll miss front facing speakers, but the s8's speaker is actually not that bad (have to do the ye old cup method) 

- larger mah battery 

- the 18.5:9 aspect ratio can cause some things to be cut off when you expand videos - and not every app will scale perfectly 

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

Well also the iPhone 8 is supposed to cost $1200-$1500

So still a arm and like 4 legs

1 minute ago, LetsFailNoob said:

Btw, any particular reason why to go with the S8, besides the above mentioned reasons?

The Oneplus is supposed to be a flagship killer.The S8 is just a flagship

My life

Yep, that's Apple for you. But to be fair the Note 8 is supposed to cost just as much. But at that point you might have to throw the Red Hydrogen into the pot.

2 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

i've been using my s8 for a few weeks, it's a gorgeous phone. but it's not the looks that got me, it's the display and screen-to-body ratio. it's unbelievable that the screen is (slightly) larger than my 6p but smaller in size. and the 18.5:9 ratio is very immersive

however there's some issues with it

- bixby + bixby button

- fingerprint sensor placement

- revamped touchwiz, but it's not nearly as bad as i thought

- i'll miss front facing speakers, but the s8's speaker is actually not that bad (have to do the ye old cup method) 

- larger mah battery 

- the 18.5:9 aspect ratio can cause some things to be cut off when you expand videos - and not every app will scale perfectly 

Thank you very much, for that feedback. I'm not quite sure what you mean with bixby + bixby button

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

The Oneplus is supposed to be a flagship killer.The S8 is just a flagship

Okay, so is that a bad thing?

When you say you're open to other phones, what exactly are you looking for in a device?

What annoys you about your current phone?
Without knowing these, it's kind of hard to make alternate recommendations, or even to suggest which of these two might be better for you.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Well first of all, which I know I won't be having this kind of problem on other phones, is the not working push notification. 

The phone is getting WAAAAAY to hot when beeing used and charged, to a degree where I can't even hold it any longer.

The colors on the screen are just meh, the front camera looks like it's from a child toy, and the phone feels a little bit sluggish.

I'm just not sure if the 100€ are worth the better display and the water resistance.

The thing that got me to the OP5 is first of all the quick charge plus the camera.

The 6/8GB of Ram on the OP5 also seem like a nice addition, because I am that kind of guy, who uses 3-4 apps "at the same time".

Also isn't the camera on the OP5 better?

7 minutes ago, LetsFailNoob said:

Thank you very much, for that feedback. I'm not quite sure what you mean with bixby + bixby button

there's a dedicated button for samsung's bixby, which is pretty much samsung's version of siri or google now. no one really asked for one, so people tried to remap it. then samsung blocked remaps, but you can still do it through other means. 

not sure if bixby is available where you are, but i think every s8 and s8+ has the bixby button 

1 hour ago, LetsFailNoob said:

Okay, so is that a bad thing?

What I mean is the Oneplus 5 is a low priced phone to compete with the high class flagships with it's low cost.This is like a 1080 being the same price of a RX 580.

My life

59 minutes ago, LetsFailNoob said:

Well first of all, which I know I won't be having this kind of problem on other phones, is the not working push notification. 

The phone is getting WAAAAAY to hot when beeing used and charged, to a degree where I can't even hold it any longer.

-snip-

Eh, a lot of your problems would be eliminated with virtually any mid ranger.

Worth is a relative term, only you can really say if it's worth it for you or not ;)

What size screens do you like? You might want to consider the Moto X4. Also, the Honor 9.

These are also coming out soon:

• Pixel 2
  • LG V30
  • Axon 8
  • Huawei Mate 10
  • Nokia 8
  • Sony is supposed to release a series of new phones in September

Most phones have some kind of quick charge.

Haha, I don't think you'd really notice the difference with RAM.

The OnePlus doesn't have a better camera, and the fact it lacks stabilization makes video look rather meh.

I'd go with the Samsung between those two. Waterproof, microSD expansion, better camera. The downsides are it's a little on the small side (to me) screen wise, and the battery life is a little worse than the OnePlus 5 for what I'd use it for.

2 minutes ago, Himommies said:

What I mean is the Oneplus 5 is a low priced phone to compete with the high class flagships with it's low cost.This is like a 1080 being the same price of a RX 580.

Eh, it's not really that cheap anymore, and over the last year there have been a lot of phones that really challenge it's "flagship killer" status.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Eh, a lot of your problems would be eliminated with virtually any mid ranger.

Worth is a relative term, only you can really say if it's worth it for you or not ;)

What size screens do you like? You might want to consider the Moto X4. Also, the Honor 9.

These are also coming out soon:

• Pixel 2
  • LG V30
  • Axon 8
  • Huawei Mate 10
  • Nokia 8
  • Sony is supposed to release a series of new phones in September

Most phones have some kind of quick charge.

Haha, I don't think you'd really notice the difference with RAM.

The OnePlus doesn't have a better camera, and the fact it lacks stabilization makes video look rather meh.

I'd go with the Samsung between those two. Waterproof, microSD expansion, better camera. The downsides are it's a little on the small side (to me) screen wise, and the battery life is a little worse than the OnePlus 5 for what I'd use it for.

Eh, it's not really that cheap anymore, and over the last year there have been a lot of phones that really challenge it's "flagship killer" status.

Well yeah, but if I am already going to spend money on a new phone, why not let it be a good one as well.

Well I was quite happy with the screen size of the Huawei GX8 which had 5.5”

Probably, I just had the issue with my GX8 that some apps had to be reloaded again, even though it already has 3GB.

Video wouldn't be a big problem though, since all I am looking for is pictures, and maybe the OP5 might no have the better camera (although from pictures it doesn't seem worse than S8s) it does have more features as far as I know.

3 minutes ago, LetsFailNoob said:

Well yeah, but if I am already going to spend money on a new phone, why not let it be a good one as well.

Well I was quite happy with the screen size of the Huawei GX8 which had 5.5”
-snip-

Video wouldn't be a big problem though, since all I am looking for is pictures, and maybe the OP5 might no have the better camera (although from pictures it doesn't seem worse than S8s) it does have more features as far as I know.

Midrange phones are no longer crappy. I'd bet you'd be pretty hard pressed to notice the difference between an SD653 and an SD835.

The amount of RAM isn't always indicative of how the phone will act. It comes down to coding, and sometimes they'll force close apps if they're taking up too much RAM, as they can be seen as a battery drain. It's a balancing act.

More features camera wise? Not really. It has two sensors, so it can zoom in a little further. That's about it.

I'd wait for the new Zenfone line to come out. They should have the same features as the OnePlus, add a few of their own (microSD support) and possibly an even lower price.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Midrange phones are no longer crappy. I'd bet you'd be pretty hard pressed to notice the difference between an SD653 and an SD835.

The amount of RAM isn't always indicative of how the phone will act. It comes down to coding, and sometimes they'll force close apps if they're taking up too much RAM, as they can be seen as a battery drain. It's a balancing act.

More features camera wise? Not really. It has two sensors, so it can zoom in a little further. That's about it.

I'd wait for the new Zenfone line to come out. They should have the same features as the OnePlus, add a few of their own (microSD support) and possibly an even lower price.

I see that point, but, as naive as it may sound, I am trying to get a phone which will last me longer than my usuall 2 year routine. I mean the OnePlus Five has a Raw Camera Mode, Professional Mode so you can set shutter speed etc how you want it to be.

damn and here is me still buying up iPhones 5S's, already on my second and got the GF one two weeks back, Not a fan of the newer iPhones at the prices, might one day start going for 6's but yeah i'm happy. and best part when it does drop it so damn cheap to get a new screen. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333