Is the r7 1700x worth it?

I don't know which one to get the r7 1700 or the 1700x. The 1700x is only 40$ more expensive and provides me with a higher base clock speed. So do you guys think I should get a 1700x or save 40$ and go for the 1700?

Get the 1700. If you overclock it the 1700 can actually perform like an 1800X.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

8 minutes ago, Xxetro said:

I don't know which one to get the r7 1700 or the 1700x. The 1700x is only 40$ more expensive and provides me with a higher base clock speed. So do you guys think I should get a 1700x or save 40$ and go for the 1700?

depends if you want to overclock. if you are going to overclock you are better off getting the r7 1700. if you plan on not messing with overclocking then the faster base and boost clock of the r7 1700x will actually be relevant and the 40 dollars for the higher base and boost would be worth it.

8 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

whats actually the difference betweend the normal cpu and the X skew one?

Are you willing to do some OCing?

5 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

Higher clock speeds out of the box, and x skew doesn't come with a cooler

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Neither.Just OC a 1700 and you have a 1800x

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

Neither.Just OC a 1600 and you have a 1800x

1700*. 1600 only has 6 cores.

Specs:

1 minute ago, BingoFishy said:

1700*. 1600 only has 6 cores.

My bad I hit the wrong key

My life

13 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

Higher base clocks and no cooler included.

Also, according to AMD, the X skews are supposed to have more overclocking headroom.  For the most part though, this hasn't turned out to be true.

Anyways.  If you don't plan on overclocking ever, the 1700X would be better for the higher base clock.  But the Wraith coolers included with AMDs CPUs actually allow for modest overclocks, so I'd say just go with 1700 and either a B350 or X370 mobo and get at least a modest overclock out of it.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

depends if you want to overclock. if you are going to overclock you are better off getting the r7 1700. if you plan on not messing with overclocking then the faster base and boost clock of the r7 1700x will actually be relevant and the 40 dollars for the higher base and boost would be worth it.

So can I overclock the base clock of the 1700 to 3.7 and just leave it at that?

I strongly recommend you get the 1700 since it is cheaper and comes with a decent cooler (WITH RGB LIGHTS!!!!) in the box that will definitely let you overclock it to the same speed as the 1700X. I say the 1700 is better mostly because of the cooler it comes with (If you don't already have one that is AM4 compatible). 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

1 hour ago, Xxetro said:

Yeah, don't see a reason why not. Might even be able to push a little higher.

Specs:

1 hour ago, Xxetro said:

yeah you can do that super easy. after that 3.8 and above your mileage will very but you should be able to get it to 3.9 if your average and 4.0 if your above average 4.1 and above is basically the silicon lottery winners and only being able to get to 3.8 is basically you losing the silicon lottery pretty hard. I have mine overclocked at 3.7ghz because it was easy and it runs alot cooler than when I overclock to 3.9.

3 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

yeah you can do that super easy. after that 3.8 and above your mileage will very but you should be able to get it to 3.9 if your average and 4.0 if your above average 4.1 and above is basically the silicon lottery winners and only being able to get to 3.8 is basically you losing the silicon lottery pretty hard. I have mine overclocked at 3.7ghz because it was easy and it runs alot cooler than when I overclock to 3.9.

Do I need a different cooler if I overclock it? Also how is the performance between the base 1700 and 1700x? I also prefer not to overclock but if it's needed I will.

3 hours ago, Xxetro said:

Do I need a different cooler if I overclock it? Also how is the performance between the base 1700 and 1700x? I also prefer not to overclock but if it's needed I will.

You can usually get by with the stock cooler on the r7 1700 and can over clocked it to 3.7ghz on all cores relatively easily but anything past that you will have to mess with fan curves and get it running higher with not a huge increase in voltage. Some can get to 3.9 ghz on the stock cooler but some can't it really depends on how well the cpu overclocks. As for the r7 1700x you actually need a aftermarket cooler as it doesn't come with one. Depending on what cooler you get tells you how far you will likely be able to push it.

3 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

You can usually get by with the stock cooler on the r7 1700 and can over clocked it to 3.7ghz on all cores relatively easily but anything past that you will have to mess with fan curves and get it running higher with not a huge increase in voltage. Some can get to 3.9 ghz on the stock cooler but some can't it really depends on how well the cpu overclocks. As for the r7 1700x you actually need a aftermarket cooler as it doesn't come with one. Depending on what cooler you get tells you how far you will likely be able to push it.

What about the voltage? Do I have to mess with that? I already have a nh u12s cooler so I'm good with he cooler. My main concern is if the performance of the base clock of the 1700 is close or far away to the base clock of the 1700x? And also what is xfr?

1 hour ago, Xxetro said:

What about the voltage? Do I have to mess with that? I already have a nh u12s cooler so I'm good with he cooler. My main concern is if the performance of the base clock of the 1700 is close or far away to the base clock of the 1700x? And also what is xfr?

yes you may have to increase voltage to get the r7 1700 to get it to run at 3.7 on all cores but usually quite low like 1.25v which is likely lower than the stock voltage on the r7 1700x. well if you run the r7 1700 on its stock clocks and dont overclock then obviously the r7 1700x is going to preform better. here is how i will put it. if you dont want to overclock then get the r7 1700x if you plan to overclock then get the r7 1700 and save yourself 40 bucks because they all overclock basically the same.

8 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

yes you may have to increase voltage to get the r7 1700 to get it to run at 3.7 on all cores but usually quite low like 1.25v which is likely lower than the stock voltage on the r7 1700x. well if you run the r7 1700 on its stock clocks and dont overclock then obviously the r7 1700x is going to preform better. here is how i will put it. if you dont want to overclock then get the r7 1700x if you plan to overclock then get the r7 1700 and save yourself 40 bucks because they all overclock basically the same.

Is overclocking difficult? And does overclocking have any risks? Also can i overlclock the 1700 to 3.5 or 3.6 instead of 3.7 and not increase the voltage?

3 minutes ago, Xxetro said:

Is overclocking difficult? And does overclocking have any risks? Also can i overlclock the 1700 to 3.5 or 3.6 instead of 3.7 and not increase the voltage?

overclocking isn't difficult. I would be lying if i said there wasn't any risk involved but trust me when i say that if you do it correctly you shouldn't have any issues. and you would be better off leaving your cpu at stock than overclocking to 3.5 or 3.6. the reason why i said you should change the voltage is actually for the safety of your cpu. if you just give it a higher frequency but dont set a voltage one of two things could happen. the first is that your motherboard sets the voltage low and your cpu doesn't get enough voltage and shuts down in what is called a crash. this isn't a big deal and happens sometimes so that wouldn't be a problem but lets say your motherboard has it set so it does voltage automatically.if it does it sets voltage automatically and you set the frequency to 3.7 and your motherboard gives it more voltage than it really needs to get to 3.7 then your cpu will start to heat up much more than it would otherwise and may cause it to overheat and shutdown. the computer does have a fail safe that will kick in ad shut your computer down if the cpu gets too hot as a safety measure. now if you were to simply set your cpu frequency to 3.7 and then set the voltage to 1.25v you would likely get a stable overclock and wouldn't have to fiddle with anything else. if the computer crashes then you just up the voltage a little to say 1.28 then maybe 1.3 if that doesn't work. now the main thing that you dont want to do when overclocking is give your cpu a manual voltage setting that is higher than what the cpu is meant to take. in the case of ryzen that is anything above 1.45v but i wouldn't even put anything above 1.4v just to be extra safe.i hope this helps and that i answered your question. if it didn't i can try and clarify anything you need clarified but in the morning because i need to go to bed.

10 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

overclocking isn't difficult. I would be lying if i said there wasn't any risk involved but trust me when i say that if you do it correctly you shouldn't have any issues. and you would be better off leaving your cpu at stock than overclocking to 3.5 or 3.6. the reason why i said you should change the voltage is actually for the safety of your cpu. if you just give it a higher frequency but dont set a voltage one of two things could happen. the first is that your motherboard sets the voltage low and your cpu doesn't get enough voltage and shuts down in what is called a crash. this isn't a big deal and happens sometimes so that wouldn't be a problem but lets say your motherboard has it set so it does voltage automatically.if it does it sets voltage automatically and you set the frequency to 3.7 and your motherboard gives it more voltage than it really needs to get to 3.7 then your cpu will start to heat up much more than it would otherwise and may cause it to overheat and shutdown. the computer does have a fail safe that will kick in ad shut your computer down if the cpu gets too hot as a safety measure. now if you were to simply set your cpu frequency to 3.7 and then set the voltage to 1.25v you would likely get a stable overclock and wouldn't have to fiddle with anything else. if the computer crashes then you just up the voltage a little to say 1.28 then maybe 1.3 if that doesn't work. now the main thing that you dont want to do when overclocking is give your cpu a manual voltage setting that is higher than what the cpu is meant to take. in the case of ryzen that is anything above 1.45v but i wouldn't even put anything above 1.4v just to be extra safe.i hope this helps and that i answered your question. if it didn't i can try and clarify anything you need clarified but in the morning because i need to go to bed.

Okay, let me get this straight. If I want to overclock I have to increase the voltage. Also, Im planning to buy an ASRock x370 taichi Mobo. Will that let me overclock my CPU and set a voltage easily? And lastly how much better will the stock 1700x run things than the 1700?

41 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

well if you run the r7 1700 on its stock clocks and dont overclock then obviously the r7 1700x is going to preform better.

If it's around 5-10% I might as well just get the 1700 but if it's more I might consider the 1700x.

8 hours ago, Xxetro said:

Okay, let me get this straight. If I want to overclock I have to increase the voltage. Also, Im planning to buy an ASRock x370 taichi Mobo. Will that let me overclock my CPU and set a voltage easily? And lastly how much better will the stock 1700x run things than the 1700?

If it's around 5-10% I might as well just get the 1700 but if it's more I might consider the 1700x.

Of you want to overclock you have to set the voltage to a voltage that the cpu needs to achieve that overclock. It could be possible to overclock the cpu without having to increase voltage it just depends on what voltage your specific cpu needs to hit that frequency. Also the x370 motherboard you are getting is definitely capable of overclocking and should be able to do it quite easily. As for the diffrence between the 1700x and the 1700 I don't think it would be more than 10% in most cases. Anyways if you do a simple overclock the difference will be basically 0. 

19 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

1 minute ago, ThatTechKid said:

OC a 1700 and make it perform as good as an 1800X

19 hours ago, Himommies said:

Neither.Just OC a 1700 and you have a 1800x

I believe you guys are being very misleading

It is not guaranteed he can overclock it as high as an 1800x

That's the wonder of silicon valley  everyone's mileage may vary 

So it's not guaranteed and even if it does work he may have to put the voltage very high and get a better cooler.

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3