LTT's exclusive RX Vega teaser makes tech press unhappy

I wasn't at LTX, but I did watch the RX Vega and Alienware PC unboxing pretty quickly after its release. The RX Vega launch is around the corner and it was nice to see an early unboxing. All that limited edition stuff was cool too.

It appears tho journalists and reviewers from tech news sites are unhappy, because they didn't get early content.

We have noticed that many members of the press aren’t that happy about the exclusive given to Linus

There's an article on KITGURU that shortly recaps what happened at LTX and then goes on to write about other news journalists expressing their unhappiness.

Cameron Wilmot from Tweaktown posting ‘feeling frustrated’ on his own Facebook page about the event

A journalist from Tweaktown was particularly unhappy and was writing about it on his personal Facebook page.

screenshot4-190x300.jpg

Apparently he was not the only one feeling this way.

We noticed key industry people including Scan UK and Nvidia staff members such as Bryan Del Rizzo making some points in Cameron’s post.

Link to the original article: https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/carl/amd-teases-radeon-rx-vega-exclusively-with-linus-press-unhappy/

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Jelly with a hint of salt?

No, I'd be unhappy because Linus videos are for more of a comedic effect now and even when he tries to be serious he always fucks up somehow. Couldn't tell you the last time I watched a LTT product review. They're all trash

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

repost/toast

Who the hell is Kitguru or Tweaktown? Seems like it's the smaller outlets that are complaining. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

8 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Couldn't tell you the last time I watched a LTT product review. They're all trash

They are not trash.

It's just that they are too short and unwilling to go into indepth technical discussion like pcper, Gamers Nexus etc.

It's good for people who just want a quick overall summary. Maybe that's what they are going for...

9 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

No, I'd be unhappy because Linus videos are for more of a comedic effect now and even when he tries to be serious he always fucks up somehow. Couldn't tell you the last time I watched a LTT product review. They're all trash

Well, be unhappy at AMD, the one that made that choice. :P

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I don't understand why this person should be unhappy, yeah Linus got to see and hold it first and?? a thing like this should not make a journalist upset. It's like a soccer team signing a player that had other links with other clubs and the fans of those teams getting upset because he didn't sign for them. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

This is meant to generate hype for AMD Vega and Threadripper. Giving early content to a small publication will not generate nearly as much hype as LTT especially since the reveal was at an event and not simply an unboxing for a video.

LG 34" 21:9 1440p

1080ti EVGA FTW3

i7 8700k @ 5GHz 1.3V Delidded

The more complex and information dense the content is, the smaller the audience. That's just how these things work and Linus knows where the money is.

Therefore Linus has one of the biggest audiences and they get the cookies.

It's not the first exclusive for Linus as far as I know, not even from AMD. So this isn't new but that might be the cause for complaint. 

I think AMD would be wise not to piss off the rest of the press though.

Oh give me a break... grow some balls and know your place. It was a smart decision by AMD, there is no question about it.

Drama driven popularity much? I didn't even know they existed until just now.

Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz delidded NZXT Kraken x62 Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 | 840 evo 256gb + HyperX 3k 480gb + 2 HDD (2TB) Asus Essence STX + Sennheiser HD580

AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24" + Asus VH236H 23" | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth | Logitech G703

Windows 10 Pro

Pixelbook 2017 (i5, 8GB, 128GB)

Just now, themctipers said:

linus should've dropped it.

He dropped his new Razer Blade... Enough for one night (it was epic, lol):P 

Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz delidded NZXT Kraken x62 Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 | 840 evo 256gb + HyperX 3k 480gb + 2 HDD (2TB) Asus Essence STX + Sennheiser HD580

AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24" + Asus VH236H 23" | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth | Logitech G703

Windows 10 Pro

Just now, Ekst4zy said:

He dropped his new Razer Blade... Enough for one night (it was epic, lol):P 

i won a free ps/2 keyboard! 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

i won a free ps/2 keyboard! 

I got an ifixit kit :) Lot's of swag...

Windows 10 Pro

Just now, Ekst4zy said:

I got an ifixit kit :) Lot's of swag...

dell OEM keyboard is better.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I can't believe people are mad that AMD gave Linus an exclusive reveal for his event. I mean they have to wait one more day to get their turn as well as they will get much more information and coverage than what Linus got. yeah the video was cool but it didn't really do anything buy hype up Vega and threadripper no real performance numbers were seen that haven't already been known. 

54 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Even so, they're all being salty that Linus got it exclusively.  You have to factor in that Linus has a larger following than people like Kitguru.  So, AMD would clearly give him a sample over them.  AMD already said they were keeping Vega on the down low until launch.  Again, if they're going to only give out one then they'd do it to whoever had the largest following.  Linus has over 4 million subs, kitguru tech?  Has like 23,000.

No, linus treats tech like shit and is constantly shitting on low end shit. Drops a $500 motherboard? Shrugs it off and laughs his ass off because he knows Asus would bend over backwards for him. Vega was supposed to be hype as shit until the leaks started coming out and I'll be shocked if Vega is better than a 1080.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

17 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I can't believe people are mad that AMD gave Linus an exclusive reveal for his event. I mean they have to wait one more day to get their turn as well as they will get much more information and coverage than what Linus got. yeah the video was cool but it didn't really do anything buy hype up Vega and threadripper no real performance numbers were seen that haven't already been known. 

It's probably not Vega they're actually salty about. It's Polaris + Ryzen + other stuff over the last 7ish months. LTX was setup long before SIGGRAPH was the RX Vega launch event, so this was just a really cheap publicity since they were sending LMG the parts anyway.

1 hour ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Not that I fully disagree with you here (There's some truth to what you're saying) but you've got to look at what's the alternative for big channels: They'd have to go to someone like Casey Neistat to go with someone who has a far bigger reach but look at what promotional videos Casey does: AMD clearly doesn't has Casey Neistat PR budget money (For example his last controversial sponsor was Samsung, far bigger deal than AMD) They do have LTT budget on the other hand and while the audience reach is not as big (though not that much smaller, a considerable chunk but still) Linus actually has an even greater correlation to gamers, enthusiasts and the kind of people that would buy AMD products.

-------

Current Rig

-------

the saddest part about this is that there was no Siggraph stream from AMD event...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

15 minutes ago, DXMember said:

the saddest part about this is that there was no Siggraph stream from AMD event...

You mean is. The event is supposed to take place in like 8 hours or so.

It's a bad omen though. Very bad.