Whch benefits more for Polaris on gaming, High VRAM frequency but loose timings or average VRAM frequency but tight timings?

rcarlos243

I saw from tests floating around the web that Polaris is bandwidth starved and gets good performance increase via VRAM frequency overclocking. On the otherhand, miners prefer to have tight timings for better hash rate.

I am only gaming and want to get the most FPS.

Should I loosen the timing so I can overclock the VRAM frequency as high as I could

or

Tighten the timings and get average overclock for VRAM?

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

How are you going to adjust the frequency timings of a video card's memory? Flashing the BIOS? Or do AMD's tools allow for that? Because in its current state, I cannot do that with my 970. I can only adjust the frequency.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

4 hours ago, rcarlos243 said:

I saw from tests floating around the web that Polaris is bandwidth starved and gets good performance increase via VRAM frequency overclocking. On the otherhand, miners prefer to have tight timings for better hash rate.

I am only gaming and want to get the most FPS.

Should I loosen the timing so I can overclock the VRAM frequency as high as I could

or

Tighten the timings and get average overclock for VRAM?

Why not both? :P You need to experiment it yourself imo. I once tighten my 290x timings and the memory actually able to overclock higher after that.

3 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

How are you going to adjust the frequency timings of a video card's memory? Flashing the BIOS? Or do AMD's tools allow for that? Because in its current state, I cannot do that with my 970. I can only adjust the frequency.

Yeah need to BIOS mod it, there is Polaris BIOS editor that allow you to change the timing for each memory straps.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |