Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DerekAnaya

Smoking PSU

Chances are unknown at this point. I doubt you lost much unless he left it on and pumping power into the system. If it's unplugged and left alone you're more than likely going to be okay.

Also, tell the PSU to stop smoking, straighten up, and get a job.

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I work out of town and my brother uses my tower while I'm away right? I get news this morning that the PSU was squealing and then started smoking while playing Star Citizen. He's not very tech oriented, so I can't exactly walk him through checking everything....but what are the chances I just lost my GPU and CPU...? 

Posted · Best Answer

Chances are unknown at this point. I doubt you lost much unless he left it on and pumping power into the system. If it's unplugged and left alone you're more than likely going to be okay.

Also, tell the PSU to stop smoking, straighten up, and get a job.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Nah, he's smart and unplugged it immediately. I'm not worried about anything else but those two components. Everything else is easily replaced.

Just now, DerekAnaya said:

Nah, he's smart and unplugged it immediately. I'm not worried about anything else but those two components. Everything else is easily replaced.

Yah, chances exist obviously but if it's not left on or anything then I think you'll probably be alright :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

the only way to find out is to just try it with a new PSU, but unless the thing cought fire and burnt the pc down, I doubt it will have damaged anything. 

what PSU is/was it

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL GPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

MY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz and pushing | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU HD 4600 (no heavy gaming on this rig!) | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 500GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" 2560x1080 Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

2017 Audi Q7 | iPhone Xs Max | Apple Watch Series 3 42mm | 2018 MacBook Pro 15" [i7/560X/16GB/256GB] | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | Xbox One [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | Sony WH-1000XM3 | Jaybird Freedom (x2) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

That's messed up, I'm sorry for you, mate. I know what you're feeling right now, my PSU had drinking issues.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

What PSU is it?

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

2 hours ago, DerekAnaya said:

So I work out of town and my brother uses my tower while I'm away right? I get news this morning that the PSU was squealing and then started smoking while playing Star Citizen. He's not very tech oriented, so I can't exactly walk him through checking everything....but what are the chances I just lost my GPU and CPU...? 

As many others have asked - what PSU is it? Also what are your specs?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I forgot I posted this, so to everyone curious, the GPU still lives to this day. The cheapo PSU is shot. Turns out it was a manufacturing error and they replaced it for free.