I5 750 Delid [YOU WON'T BELIEVE THE RESULTS]

*NOTE, I added the jokingly clickbait title since this is the LTT forums and this post is more joking than informative

I'm bored, so I started delidding all my CPUs lying around. I did all the non soldered ones and then started on the solders ones, mostly pentium 4s and core 2 duos. I just delided an LGA 1156 i5 750, and got the blowtorch and heated the IHS to 170°C and gave the vice a twist, however...... I thought it was odd the IHS popped off so easily (the heat does pretty much fuck the bond up on the PCB side more so than anything), but it fell off in a way I didn't think seemed right and holy fuck, Intel you lying bastards, they've been doing this for a lot longer than I think we thought. I know the shitty old celerons weren't soldered, but I wonder now about the rest. I know the high end Sandy Bridge (and up until now the extreme versions) were soldered, but I wonder was it only the K and other high model number versions, I should start buying as many models of chips and making a delid thermal solution database, because this was a slight shock to me. 

IMG_1973[1].JPG

Edited by Lord Nicoll
needed more clickbait

Yours faithfully

>I know the high end Intel Sandy Bride was soldered

Sorry, just had to point it out. Had a funny picture in my head.

Also, interesting find...

Just now, RektSkrubs said:

>I know the high end Intel Sandy Bride was soldered

Sorry, just had to point it out. Had a funny picture in my head.

Also, interesting find...

Yeah, all the high end stuff has been soldered, Sandy and Ivy E, Haswel and broadwell E, but I thought all of these older chips where soldered. It explains why the old owner lapped the IHS, he must have though the bad temps was an IHS imperfection. 

Yours faithfully

• 1 year later...
On 7/29/2017 at 5:30 AM, Lord Nicoll said:

i

is the 750 soldered or not soldered? me and my friend wanna push ours on air u know 

ALSOOOO did u see a temp difference or.. 

2 hours ago, nlgamerzzzz said:

is the 750 soldered or not soldered? me and my friend wanna push ours on air u know 

ALSOOOO did u see a temp difference or.. 

The i5 750 is not soldered, so it can be dedlidded, but it has a very large die so be careful not to crack it. 

Yours faithfully

57 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

The i5 750 is not soldered, so it can be dedlidded, but it has a very large die so be careful not to crack it. 

did u use a razor? 

4 minutes ago, nlgamerzzzz said:

did u use a razor? 

Lol no, I used a vice but I'm kinda good at vice delidding as I've done it so much. 

Yours faithfully

Perhaps back in Ye Olden Times they only soldered the i7's (or even just the XTREEEEEM edition chips). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

On 9/3/2018 at 7:18 PM, Lord Nicoll said:

Lol no, I used a vice but I'm kinda good at vice delidding as I've done it so much. 

what side did use? the one where the 2 small feet are to hold it in the socket or.. 

20 hours ago, nlgamerzzzz said:

what side did use? the one where the 2 small feet are to hold it in the socket or.. 

I used the other sides, the slightly flatter ones. 

Yours faithfully

• 2 years later...

I'm a nooby here please explain me, what do you mean is not soldered? It has an IHS right? What's the problem?

3 hours ago, Dedukos said:

@Lord Nicoll hello! can you please explain what do you mean by saying "not soldered" ? 

Probably better not to necro old posts, but by not soldered I mean between the die and IHS, it uses just normal long life thermal paste

Yours faithfully

On 9/10/2020 at 12:08 AM, Lord Nicoll said:

Probably better not to necro old posts, but by not soldered I mean between the die and IHS, it uses just normal long life thermal paste

Sorry about that, I will make new post next time! Thank you! Now I know thanks to you. I will try to overclock my 10 years old i5-750 with my Asrock P55m Pro. Wish me good luck :P