Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
myspeakersaremuffled

Will this cool my 6800k?

Recommended Posts

how much are you going to pay / paid for it?

 

.. and probably yes.


Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | Radeon VII | ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, but don't expect much in the way of overclocking.


LTT 2019 Folding Month Rank: 49    Score: 60,484,697

Current LTT F@H Rank: 33    Score: 384,430,073   Stats

My main Rig (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (Kernel 5.3.13 VFIO) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000MHz (8GB for host, 8GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA GTX 1060 SC Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black Windowed

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, urBackup, game servers):

OS: unRAID 6.7.0

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 24GB Hyperx Fury Black @ 2900MHz 16-16-16-28

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo 250GB

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's virtdisk is on the SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, urBackup, Gitlab, Nextcloud, and game servers.
 

Inventory: CPU: Delidded i7 6700k @ 4.7GHz 1.46v  Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 minutes ago, themctipers said:

how much are you going to pay / paid for it?

 

.. and probably yes.

45 bucks

 

11 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Yes, but don't expect much in the way of overclocking.

tbh im to scared to oc it that much anyways, you think I can do anything with it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, myspeakersaremuffled said:

45 bucks

 

tbh im to scared to oc it that much anyways, you think I can do anything with it?

i am pretty sure you can get something better for that price, I don't know US pricing for coolers or coolers for the most part, so wait for someone else to get better information on that

 

anyways, it looks like a beefed up 212 plus or something along the lines, you should be able to overclock by a bit and still remain in safe temps (80c and lower on non AVX, 85c if you're adventurous) 


Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | Radeon VII | ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

i am pretty sure you can get something better for that price, I don't know US pricing for coolers or coolers for the most part, so wait for someone else to get better information on that

 

anyways, it looks like a beefed up 212 plus or something along the lines, you should be able to overclock by a bit and still remain in safe temps (80c and lower on non AVX, 85c if you're adventurous) 

I should of gone with the cryorig h7 but its to late now and I don't want to wait forever to build it. Isn't 80c super high? Should I not oc at all? If I did by like 200mhz would I even see a difference? I do a lot of rendering and 3d modeling jazz as well as playing a lot of games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, MrJarhead said:

why did you buy a 6800k to not buy a good cooler? makes no sense mate.

I bought the cpu last year on black friday for the price of a 6700k that I was going to get instead, been buying parts for a year, ended up only have 46 something dollars, went on a forum on toms hardware for best cpu coolers under 50, guy said this was the best cpu cooler for a build 800-1500, even though my build is a bit more. Everything else is fine just wondering about the cpu cooler, I probably won't overclock just wondering if this will actually keep the cpu cool enough that it won't be super hot and bottleneck my 1080ti 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, myspeakersaremuffled said:

I should of gone with the cryorig h7 but its to late now and I don't want to wait forever to build it. Isn't 80c super high? Should I not oc at all? If I did by like 200mhz would I even see a difference? I do a lot of rendering and 3d modeling jazz as well as playing a lot of games.

80c is toasty, but not deadly hot or freezing your ass off for a CPU

 

200mhz you'll see a difference in like, maybe one minute faster rendering.


Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | Radeon VII | ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, themctipers said:

80c is toasty, but not deadly hot or freezing your ass off for a CPU

 

200mhz you'll see a difference in like, maybe one minute faster rendering.

Jesus thats a lot faster, for only a 200mhz oc, do you think I could do that? What degrees is going to be bad? Will it thermal throttle my games? I have a good motherboard also, x99 Taichi. Sorry for all these questions too :P Its my first time

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, myspeakersaremuffled said:

Jesus thats a lot faster, for only a 200mhz oc, do you think I could do that? What degrees is going to be bad? Will it thermal throttle my games? I have a good motherboard also, x99 Taichi. Sorry for all these questions too :P Its my first time

one minute less for, like a hour long render

 

thats very fast indeed

 

it really will have to depend on your chip and current temps.. 

nope, as long as you stay within ambient and 90c


Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | Radeon VII | ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, themctipers said:

one minute less for, like a hour long render

 

thats very fast indeed

 

it really will have to depend on your chip and current temps.. 

nope, as long as you stay within ambient and 90c

I don't think I have ever rendered something longer than 15 minutes anyways, I do video editing in sony vegas and modeling in Maya.

I found this bullshit website saying this:

 "In general you should consider 60 degrees Celcius the absolute maximum for long periods, but aim for 45-50 degrees to be safe."

 

Is that actually what it should be at? Also will running around 80c under load make the chip slower over time? I would like to keep the whole cpu/motherboard for at least 3 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, myspeakersaremuffled said:

One more stupid question, I looked on a lot of places and they say that 80c is pretty hot, is there a way I can keep my cpu at like 60-70c?

Under volt it.  Its where you leave it at stock speed but reduce how much juice you send it, resulting in cooler temps


Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, myspeakersaremuffled said:

 "In general you should consider 60 degrees Celcius the absolute maximum for long periods, but aim for 45-50 degrees to be safe."

xD that's adorable, it takes a FULL CUSTOM LOOP to get that with an r7 1700 at 4ghz to do so with a 6800k would be the same.

 

Youll be perfectly fine tbh, I ran my 1700 at 75c under burn tests and it doesn't hurt the chop. 


Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
30 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Under volt it.  Its where you leave it at stock speed but reduce how much juice you send it, resulting in cooler temps

That doesn't affect performance or anything? I do have a EVGA 850w g3 psu if that matters also

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, myspeakersaremuffled said:

I should of gone with the cryorig h7 but its to late now and I don't want to wait forever to build it. Isn't 80c super high? Should I not oc at all? If I did by like 200mhz would I even see a difference? I do a lot of rendering and 3d modeling jazz as well as playing a lot of games.

 

80C is higher than I'd be comfortable running my CPU at under max load. I'd suggest keeping it closer to 70C or below.

 

Perhaps return the cooler and get the H7?


Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

 

80C is higher than I'd be comfortable running my CPU at under max load. I'd suggest keeping it closer to 70C or below.

 

Perhaps return the cooler and get the H7?

What if I buy some better thermal paste?

Also I would realllly not like to have to return it

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, myspeakersaremuffled said:

What if I buy some better thermal paste?

Also I would realllly not like to have to return it

 

Thermal paste can only do so much. Having a better cooler will make more of an impact.


Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, TheKDub said:

 

Thermal paste can only do so much. Having a better cooler will make more of an impact.

The Cryorig H7 is only a few degrees give or take from the one I got, I think I should keep it at 70c if I can, what ways is this possible?

I will make upgrading the cpu cooler my next thing to buy then, having it around 70-80c for a few months wont be horrible and leave any lasting damage right?

 

Someone above recommended undervolting the CPU, I don't think I really understand that though

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, myspeakersaremuffled said:

The Cryorig H7 is only a few degrees give or take from the one I got, I think I should keep it at 70c if I can, what ways is this possible?

I will make upgrading the cpu cooler my next thing to buy then, having it around 70-80c for a few months wont be horrible and leave any lasting damage right?

 

Someone above recommended undervolting the CPU, I don't think I really understand that though

Keeping the cooler then upgrading it again after a few months is just going to be throwing money away, if anything you should just get a better cooler now and return the one you got while you still can.


Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, TheKDub said:

Keeping the cooler then upgrading it again after a few months is just going to be throwing money away, if anything you should just get a better cooler now and return the one you got while you still can.

Right now I only have a few cents left, I tried to get the best I could for 46 ish dollars. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, myspeakersaremuffled said:

One more stupid question, I looked on a lot of places and they say that 80c is pretty hot, is there a way I can keep my cpu at like 60-70c?

 

80C under what load? Rendering? I'd call it bit over my comfort rate but its not danger hot. Since my under stress limit is 87C on hottest core. I would be fine seeing 80C on good OC under rendering load since its still way under warning limits.


^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×