EVGA Kingpin

linustouchtips

New card want to give you guys my first impression on the stock with air. 

First i cranked up the voltage to the max along with the temp and power. 

120%

90c

+75 gpu

+300 mem

She would crank up to about 2050 then slowly descend down to 2037 everything went fine. 

I was happy then i hit the wall i couldn't get any higher than that my benchmark kept failing. 

Next I powered off the system and figure the bios switch to oc would give me more power. 

Nothing the evga software was not giving me any more power draw or more voltage. 

Then i met buyers remorse i was frustrated as all heck i turned everything off and went to bed. 

That was my first day with this card. 

What do you guys think good marketing, bad luck, user error. 

Keep in mind i never used evga cards in the past nothing super high end like this. 

firstattempt.JPG.92accecbbe07351febc814036df2af06.JPG

20170727_184741.jpg

20170727_174650.jpg

This card is ONLY for liquid nitrogen use. These are not meant for use with the air cooler. As you found out, you spent $1000 on a card and there are Founders Edition cards that overclock farther than your $1000 Kingpin.

I can also say that my Aorus card overclocks much further than that. Put +500 memory and +100 core to see if you can match mine.

Just now, Max_Settings said:

This card is ONLY for liquid nitrogen use. These are not meant for use with the air cooler. As you found out, you spent $1000 on a card and there are Founders Edition cards that overclock farther than your $1000 Kingpin.

i kind of feel like this is a ftw3 a bad one at that with a fancy cooler.

I can also say that my Aorus card overclocks much further than that. Put +500 memory and +100 core to see if you can match mine.

i cant wont go past +76 you sir out did this 1000 card lol

Just now, linustouchtips said:

i kind of feel like this is a ftw3 a bad one at that with a fancy cooler.

It is, they just upgraded the power delivery and added some under the hood stuff to make the card work with LN2. They don’t expect anyone to actually use the card on air.

Also the thing that really sucks is there aren’t any water blocks for these, because EK doesn’t find it worth it to make a block for this because there are so few out there.

It is, they just upgraded the power delivery and added some under the hood stuff to make the card work with LN2. They don’t expect anyone to actually use the card on air.

well the only thing that might help is the bios switch i did the first attempt in normal mode. 

there is a oc mode that supposedly gives you more power delivery im not touching ln2 until i get a block. 

im hoping its software related if i can fix that i might be able to swing at your highest and beat but dont hold your breath. 

well the only thing that might help is the bios switch i did the first attempt in normal mode. 

there is a oc mode that supposedly gives you more power delivery im not touching ln2 until i get a block. 

im hoping its software related if i can fix that i might be able to swing at your highest and beat but dont hold your breath. 

You are using all 3 plugs right?

At this point if you can return the card, do that. If not your best bet is probably buying a Kraken G12 to water cool it.

6 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Really, then why waste money on a solid copper heatsink??

Also, don't they bin the chips to be better overclockers than any other cards? At least that is what I have heard. So it should go further than most.

At this point if you can return the card, do that. If not your best bet is probably buying a Kraken G12 to water cool it.

i got that evga jacob guy telling me everything i need to do so i dont return it lol bad press for them 

yup 

Maybe try ordering some individual power cables from Cable Mod that don’t have a daisy chain. Jayztwocents showed in the video that daisy chain cables actually decrease overclocking performance.

Just now, maartendc said:

Really, then why waste money on a solid copper heatsink??

Because they need to justify that $1000 price in more ways than just saying it works well on LN2

Personally I think EVGA for this card should of went through some serious binning and said that they all come overclocked to 2100mhz stable if you use the OC profile. Then that would actually be intriguing for the price.

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Personally I think EVGA for this card should of went through some serious binning and said that they all come overclocked to 2100mhz stable if you use the OC profile. Then that would actually be intriguing for the price.

Yeah. If it is underperforming though, EVGA has excellent customer and warranty support. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Yeah. If it is underperforming though, EVGA has excellent customer and warranty support. 

Yeah my argument would be, I get that the silicon lottery is a thing, but come on if your $1000 ultimate overclocking card can be bested by most founders editions and most aftermarket cards, then there’s a problem.

oc mode still wont work lol i got a higher score same settings idk man. 2038 is where it settled had all the fans cranking to the highest 

thatsallitcantake.JPG

Yeah my argument would be, I get that the silicon lottery is a thing, but come on if your $1000 ultimate overclocking card can be bested by most founders editions and most aftermarket cards, then there’s a problem.

Yeah. Even if it isn't designed to run on air, it's still a massive copper cooler and 3 fan design, along with the best power delivery system you can get. It should waste most 1080 Tis, even on air. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

11 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yeah. Even if it isn't designed to run on air, it's still a massive copper cooler and 3 fan design, along with the best power delivery system you can get. It should waste most 1080 Tis, even on air. 

Yeah, I'd RMA it and give it another try, if the new one still isn't good try and get EVGA to downgrade you to an FTW3 with some reimbursement or get a Kraken G12 and a 240mm AIO and OC the shit out of it (hopefully)

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

51 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

Yeah, I'd RMA it and give it another try, if the new one still isn't good try and get EVGA to downgrade you to an FTW3 with some reimbursement or get a Kraken G12 and a 240mm AIO and OC the shit out of it (hopefully)

Yeah I agree 100%. If you can't get 2100mhz then return the second one. I’m pulling like 2060 on mine, so if you can get 40 more MHz for $300 then something’s wrong.

3 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Yeah I agree 100%. If you can't get 2100mhz then return the second one. I’m pulling like 2060 on mine, so if you can't get 40 more MHz for $300 then something’s wrong.

fixed that for u :P

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]