Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 replace stock fan + ram clearance

I'm thinking of buying the Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 for a new ryzen build, and i need to know if i can fit this ram, thats 40mm high with this cooler. I also need to know if i can mount a Noctua 140mm fan on the Dark Rock Pro 3. (I'm sure the stock fan is fine , but i have my reasons for a wanting a 140mm noctua fan).

If you're wondering why i don't get a noctua cooler, it's because i like the asthetics of the dark rock 3 better. My intention to have a better looking heatsink, then put a noctua fan on it for noctua like acoustics and cooling.

Any information would be helpful regarding these two things.

Thanks, GR412

1 hour ago, GR412 said:

I'm thinking of buying the Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 for a new ryzen build, and i need to know if i can fit this ram, thats 40mm high with this cooler. I also need to know if i can mount a Noctua 140mm fan on the Dark Rock Pro 3. (I'm sure the stock fan is fine , but i have my reasons for a wanting a 140mm noctua fan).

If you're wondering why i don't get a noctua cooler, it's because i like the asthetics of the dark rock 3 better. My intention to have a better looking heatsink, then put a noctua fan on it for noctua like acoustics and cooling.

Any information would be helpful regarding these two things.

Thanks, GR412

Here you go this should give you a good idea of how much space you've got:

http://www.bequiet.com/volumes/PDM/_products/bk019/bk019_dim_en.pdf

2 minutes ago, GR412 said:

Thats okay, and thanks. Also would you happen to know if a replacement 140mm fan would be able to be mounted to this cooler?  The stock one is 135mm you see.

It's going to over hang the cooler a lot and you'll need to bend the fan clips or jerry rig something. Why replace it though it has the Silent Wings fans which are good quality.

Just now, W-L said:

It's going to over hang the cooler a lot and you'll need to bend the fan clips or jerry rig something. Why replace it though it has the Silent Wings fans which are good quality.

I have my reasons for replacing the stock fan, but the clips won't fit on a 140mm fan without bending, is that what you're saying?

Just now, GR412 said:

I have my reasons for replacing the stock fan, but the clips won't fit on a 140mm fan without bending, is that what you're saying?

Basically, this is due to the design of the fan that be quiet uses. 

Just a heads up: I got a Darkrock 3 in my ryzen PC, and with the bracket you can only mount it with the fan pointing up/down.
If your unsure I could try to do a measurement. Ive actually been curious if my Corsair LPX can even fit in slot 0.

EDIT: This is the best shot I could do. My Corsair LPX is in slot 0. it fits just fine, the heat pipes aren't touching it or anything and it appears you could probably get something 10mm taller in there? According to spec sheets, the LPX sticks are ~3.5cm tall and the ram your looking at is ~4cm. So you should be good!G39Pg1v.jpg

7 hours ago, Sypran said:

Just a heads up: I got a Darkrock 3 in my ryzen PC, and with the bracket you can only mount it with the fan pointing up/down.
If your unsure I could try to do a measurement. Ive actually been curious if my Corsair LPX can even fit in slot 0.

EDIT: This is the best shot I could do. My Corsair LPX is in slot 0. it fits just fine, the heat pipes aren't touching it or anything and it appears you could probably get something 10mm taller in there? According to spec sheets, the LPX sticks are ~3.5cm tall and the ram your looking at is ~4cm. So you should be good!G39Pg1v.jpg

So if the cooler/fan orientation is like the Google image below, then dimm slot 0 is blocked from 40mm ram?

Dark Rock 3.jpg

38 minutes ago, GR412 said:

So if the cooler/fan orientation is like the Google image below, then dimm slot 0 is blocked from 40mm ram?

I don't think its possible to have that orientation on Ryzen boards with the Dark Rock 3. While with the Dark Rock Pro 3 you can.
The only reason you can have that orientation on Intel boards is because the mounting holes are a perfect square, unlike AM4's.
img_5445-1280x1024.jpg

1 hour ago, Sypran said:

I don't think its possible to have that orientation on Ryzen boards with the Dark Rock 3. While with the Dark Rock Pro 3 you can.
The only reason you can have that orientation on Intel boards is because the mounting holes are a perfect square, unlike AM4's.
img_5445-1280x1024.jpg

Ahh I see, thats actually really helpful in my decision. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Sypran said:

img_5445-1280x1024.jpg

Oh btw, did you get the be quiet AM4 mounting bracket? I think they send them out for free. Maybe thats why your limited to vertical orientation?

6 hours ago, GR412 said:

Oh btw, did you get the be quiet AM4 mounting bracket? I think they send them out for free. Maybe thats why your limited to vertical orientation?

I did. Took it a bit more then a week to make it to the US. but yeah.

The easiest way to explain it is that for AM4 on the be quiet!  Heatsinks, The heatpipes are always pointing left and right (or to the front and back of the case)   cause the bracket screws in perpendicular to them. 

Which is why the DRP3 can have the side mounted fanA68V_130571275699932580g37e3k9kJp.jpg (Note the fans are on the heatpipe side)

And the regular DR3 has to have the fan pointing up/down

A68V_130571279682341610DCdYxeAM4V.jpg(The fans are mounted perpendicular to the heatpipes)

22 hours ago, GR412 said:

Could you measure how far apart fan holes in 135mm fan are? From pics they might just be 120mm holes. Which makes them same as with Noctua A-series 140mm fans. So clips will work fine.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv