Will the NH-D15 fit?

Jonathan Lemmens

For my new PC I'd like to know whether a NH-D15 will fit in the footprint of a mITX motherboard. I intend to build this PC using an army surplus ammunition box as a custom PC case, it is 175mm wide just 5mm larger than an ITX mobo.

In the picture below it seems like the heatsink overhangs the edge of the mobo on the left side by a tiny bit. Can anyone confirm or perhaps measure this?02-noctua-cooler-back.jpg.a0112de3802e89e1ced8ecb40707ab1d.jpg

If this really won't fit, I may choose the NH-D15S because the coldplate has been offset from the centre and I would mount it the 'other way around' to overhang the PCIe slot instead, I'll use a PCIe riser cable to mount the GPU either above the cooler or below the mobo anyway.

Can I expect other problems to arise by doing this, maybe it will overhang too much and still go past the edge of the mobo on the other side?

If anyone could post measurements or pictures of a NH-D15(S) on an ITX mobo, preferrably from the top down, that would be greatly appreciated.

The product page specifies the width is 150mm, so I would think so. 

http://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/specification

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

The socket moves a little bit board to board so someone would need to test that and it would be tons of money to be used

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

5 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

The product page specifies the width is 150mm, so I would think so. 

http://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/specification

But the socket is never exactly in the middle of the motherboard, also Noctua assumes I put a GPU in the top PCI slot, so they have to leave room for that as well.

7 minutes ago, ChackoM said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/9C6scf

This build has a Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 fan on an ITX mobo

Thanks, it's still difficult to see though. Also many cases have at least 1cm spacing between the edge of the mobo and the wall of the case, I do not have that luxury. :S 

2 minutes ago, Billy_Mays said:

The socket moves a little bit board to board so someone would need to test that and it would be tons of money to be used

Just by comparing pictures, all the mounting holes for Z270 ITX boards are the same distance from the top edge, only the distance to the I/O ports may differ, which does not matter in my case. Most AM4 sockets look like they are in a very similar place to Z270, except for the Gigabyte ITX board with the weird layout.

I intend to go with a Z270 ITX mobo (possibly the Asus Strix) and a 7700K, I would assume i'm not the first who paired this with an NH-D15.