PSU Dead?

comanderlin

This is my first post here :/. so my pc, doesn't turn on any more and i wondered if the psu is dead? is there a way to test that? and if it is dead can you recommenend me a new psu? budget is up to €100 and it needs to have around 500w. Thank you!

Welcome to the forums!

Posting all your specs will help us solve this.

Before making decisions of what to buy we need to make sure that a specific part is to blame.

What are your symptoms?

Does your motherboard light up?

Fans spin?

No response when pressing the power button?

first off, have you checkd that the PSU switch isnt off, that the powercord is connected and that there isnt any turned off splitters or whatever preventing it from getting power?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

sorry, i forgot that :/ il search for the psu name, 1 sec

Just now, comanderlin said:

sorry, i forgot that :/ il search for the psu name, 1 sec

Don't apologize, there's nothing wrong with being new on a forum and wanting help.

We're here to assist!

Please post FULL spec list, meaning your entire PC part list :)

And remember to quote, like I'm doing to you now, via the small arrow under the specific comment you'd like to reply to.

So if you want to answer this comment I'm typing tp you now, press the arrow beneath it.

1 minute ago, MVPernula said:

Welcome to the forums!

Before making decisions of what to buy we need to make sure that a specific part is to blame.

What are your symptoms?

Fans spin?

Thank you! specs: 16GB (2x 8192MB) Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 DIMM CL9-9-9-24 Dual Kit

ASRock H97 Pro4 Intel H97 So.1150 Dual Channel DDR3 ATX 

250GB Crucial MX200 2.5"

Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 4x 3.40GHz So.1150

500 Watt LC-Power LC9550 Non-Modular 80+ Gold

XFX rx 480 ( originally a r9 390)

and

7 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

Welcome to the forums!

What are your symptoms?

Fans spin?

no response when pressing the power button.

2 minutes ago, comanderlin said:

Thank you! specs: 16GB (2x 8192MB) Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 DIMM CL9-9-9-24 Dual Kit

ASRock H97 Pro4 Intel H97 So.1150 Dual Channel DDR3 ATX 

250GB Crucial MX200 2.5"

Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 4x 3.40GHz So.1150

500 Watt LC-Power LC9550 Non-Modular 80+ Gold

XFX rx 480 ( originally a r9 390)

Never heard of that PSU brand..

2 minutes ago, comanderlin said:

and

no response when pressing the power button.

Does the motherboard have any lights on even though it doesn't respond?

Motherboards usually have a small light indicating that is has power.

1 minute ago, MVPernula said:

Never heard of that PSU brand..

Does the motherboard have any lights on even though it doesn't respond?

Motherboards usually have a small light indicating that is has power.

no, i dont think that there is anything lighting up on the mb and i have a fan controler that is conected to the power supply and that also gets no power., and yes the psu is weird, i shouldve gotten a better one, was my first build so i had no idea :(

1 minute ago, comanderlin said:

no, i dont think that there is anything lighting up on the mb and i have a fan controler that is conected to the power supply and that also gets no power., and yes the psu is weird, i shouldve gotten a better one, was my first build so i had no idea :(

It's fine! Well since you're getting no indication of power what so ever I guess the PSu is fried..

You can get a good PSU for 100euros though!

I recommend the G2/G3 lineup from EVGA, using the G2 personally and it's top tier.

You can probably afford a 550w with that model, and you really shouldn't have to worry about your PSU again :)

104,90 € i think i will order that, thank you! :) sucks that i will have to wait because me and a few friends wanted to do a lan party but im happy if its only the psu thats broken ^^

24 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

i ordered the 550 g2 :) 

1 hour ago, comanderlin said:

i ordered the 550 g2 :) 

Cool! Tell us how it went afterwards!

Usually a dying PSU will power on and shut off quickly and not suddenly die like that. You may have a dead CPU or motherboard. That said, see if the G2 solves the problem and report back.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Usually a dying PSU will power on and shut off quickly and not suddenly die like that. You may have a dead CPU or motherboard. That said, see if the G2 solves the problem and report back.

Yea, but shouldnt the power supply still power things like a fan controler that is not conectet to the mb?

1 hour ago, comanderlin said:

Yea, but shouldnt the power supply still power things like a fan controler that is not conectet to the mb?

Well, try to power just the hard drive or something along those lines and see if it works. I can't say for sure if the fan controller can be powered independently without the entire system being on (but it probably can?).

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Well, try to power just the hard drive or something along those lines and see if it works. I can't say for sure if the fan controller can be powered independently without the entire system being on (but it probably can?).

the controler is conected directly to the power supply, so i think that should still work?

Fully disconnect the PSU from all devices inside the PC. Bridge the green wire in the 24 ATX plug with a black wire. The PSU should then turn on/spin it's fan. That's a crude test you can do.

24 minutes ago, comanderlin said:

the controler is conected directly to the power supply, so i think that should still work?

I would suppose so, but can the controller run without the PC being on is what I'm wondering.

17 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I would suppose so, but can the controller run without the PC being on is what I'm wondering.

I would honestly guess not. @comanderlin, like someone said above, disconnect mobo, cpu gpu etc. keep only fan controler and/or a hard drive. Check to see if these work. Furthermore, even if the psu is still working, I wouldn't cancel the g2 psu. I personally have the g3 and it's an amazing psu. A good psu is a reliable pc.

12 hours ago, comanderlin said:

This is my first post here :/. so my pc, doesn't turn on any more and i wondered if the psu is dead? is there a way to test that? and if it is dead can you recommenend me a new psu? budget is up to €100 and it needs to have around 500w. Thank you!

Yeah, as stated above, I wouldn't rule out a dying motherboard either. I troubleshooted my friend's parent's PC and it has similar symptoms (wouldn't boot) at all. So I figured it was a PSU issue, so I plugged my EVGA 750G2 into it and let them use it for a week just to see. Well, it worked for about 5 times before it went completely dead. We did figure out it was the motherboard. Though this was a low end entry Acer prebuilt desktop (I'm more amazed it lived as long as it did...it was 8 years old).

I told them to get a Intel NUC and they love it. 

• 3 weeks later...

The psu was dead! i got a evga supernova g2 550w and it works fine! Thank you all for your help! im sorry that i did not respond earlier.

On 27.7.2017 at 1:43 PM, MVPernula said:

Cool! Tell us how it went afterwards!