UPDATED: Zotac Amp or Asus Strix 1080 Ti

Exprima

I'm looking at 1080 Ti cards and the price ranges from around $729 for an EVGA SC all the way up to $779 for an Asus ROG Strix, not counting the overclocked ones. Is there anything that warrants that big of price difference? Thanks for all the responses.

I can get a Zotac Amp (not extreme) 1080 Ti for $710 while the cheapest Strix 1080 Ti I can find is around $780. How much faster does the Strix run and is it worth the extra $70?

Ryzen 5 3600 | EVGA CLC240 | EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra | ASRock B450 Pro4 | 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200 | 1tb WD SN550 | 2tb SanDisk Ultra 3DEVGA P2 650w | Fractal Design Meshify CViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD + ViewSonic VS2412-H | GHS.RAR (Boba U4s, Staebies, GMK Aurora Polaris + Artisans) | Steelseries Aerox Ghost | Artisan-Japan Ninja FX Hien (M/Soft) | Fostex HP-A3 | Fostex PM0.3G | Fostex T60RP | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | Beyerdynamic FOX

That's not a big price jump at all when you are in the high tier stuff, and there are reasons why some cost more. Wait till the EVGA Kingpin comes out, then talk about price jumps.

Thats not even that much, some models can be a 200-300 hundred more then a base one, some will be watercooled, have larger coolers or binning. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

5 minutes ago, Exprima said:

I'm looking at 1080 Ti cards and the price ranges from around $729 for an EVGA SC all the way up to $779 for an Asus ROG Strix, not counting the overclocked ones. Is there anything that warrants that big of price difference?

Strix are usually expensive because of Aura Sync and RGB. Also they have usually lower temperatures and lower noise too.

More expensive coolers, RGB, higher base overclocks, etc. all fetch a premium vs. reference cards.  The dollar figure is just more for higher end stuff because they know people who buy it have deeper pockets than "budget" peasants.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

10 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

That's not a big price jump at all when you are in the high tier stuff, and there are reasons why some cost more. Wait till the EVGA Kingpin comes out, then talk about price jumps.

I'm just surprised. Used to be that alot FTW card would only be $20 more than an SC. Strix does look dope, tho.

Ryzen 5 3600 | EVGA CLC240 | EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra | ASRock B450 Pro4 | 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200 | 1tb WD SN550 | 2tb SanDisk Ultra 3DEVGA P2 650w | Fractal Design Meshify CViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD + ViewSonic VS2412-H | GHS.RAR (Boba U4s, Staebies, GMK Aurora Polaris + Artisans) | Steelseries Aerox Ghost | Artisan-Japan Ninja FX Hien (M/Soft) | Fostex HP-A3 | Fostex PM0.3G | Fostex T60RP | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | Beyerdynamic FOX

10 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

It's out. $999.

Just now, Exprima said:

I'm just surprised. Used to be that alot FTW card would only be $20 more than an SC. Strix does look dope, tho.

It's still like that on like the 1060/1070. But in the top tier they figure people don't care about $50 differences. 

16 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Drum roll please............. Here you go the Kingpin card and it is already on auto notify 
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6798-KR

2 minutes ago, zed026 said:

Drum roll please............. Here you go the Kingpin card and it is already on auto notify 
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6798-KR

Kingpin cards are dumb AF. $1000 for the hope of overclocking on air. I remember back on the 980s when Jayztwocents did his video on the 980 Kingpin, and his regular Gigabyte card overclocked farther than the Kingpin.

7 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

It's still like that on like the 1060/1070. But in the top tier they figure people don't care about $50 differences. 

Actually thats not it.  Look at it in  terms of %.  a card that costs 350 vs a card that cost 390 - 40 bucks, right? (Yes, a strix 1070 is that much more expensive than base)

A card worth 730 vs a card worth 750 is a $50 difference, only a bit more then the differrence between 1070s, but a 1080 ti has a better quality/more expensive heatsync, VRMs and so, so much more.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

4 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Kingpin cards are dumb AF. $1000 for the hope of overclocking on air. I remember back on the 980s when Jayztwocents did his video on the 980 Kingpin, and his regular Gigabyte card overclocked farther than the Kingpin.

Jay didn't use LN2 - the hole point of the kingpin or HOF cards is to be able to use them with liquid nitrogen or helium.  His gigabyte card qould probably spazz under the kind of  -c load the kingpin would thrive in.

Just now, Damascus said:

Jay didn't use LN2 - the hole point of the kingpin or HOF cards is to be able to use them with liquid nitrogen or helium.  His gigabyte card qould probably spazz under the kind of  -c load the kingpin would thrive in.

Ah yes, for all the people who want to use LN2 in their systems everyday, seems like a huge flaw in the testing methodology.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

Ah yes, for all the people who want to use LN2 in their systems everyday, seems like a huge flaw in the testing methodology.

Not saying the kingpin is for everyone, personally I'm probably just going to get the cheapest card that comes with a waterblock for the rest of time.

What I'm pointing out is that kingpin is for world records, and it takes them with flair.  

I have the strix 1080ti oced version... primarily its worth every penny if u can find it dirt cheap :D in fact the oc version i found was cheaper than the original which seemed strange but hey

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

5 hours ago, xsimplyjosh said:

I have the strix 1080ti oced version... primarily its worth every penny if u can find it dirt cheap :D in fact the oc version i found was cheaper than the original which seemed strange but hey

That's just a humble brag. ?

Updated the OP with new question.