Linux mint

So I put Linux mint on a sd card and put it in then moved it to a partition I made on hard drive. But , now how do I go about using it to boot. Using windows 7 as host for now

image.jpg

10 minutes ago, skkler said:

So I put Linux mint on a sd card and put it in then moved it to a partition I made on hard drive. But , now how do I go about using it to boot. Using windows 7 as host for now

image.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. Are you looking to boot from the SD card or the partition on your hard drive? You won't be able to boot into Mint through Windows unless you use virtualization software.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

3 minutes ago, Homeless_Pineapple said:

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. Are you looking to boot from the SD card or the partition on your hard drive? You won't be able to boot into Mint through Windows unless you use virtualization software.

Okay so how would I go about getting rid of windows completely then? My laptop doesn't see the sad card as a bootable device

4 minutes ago, skkler said:

Okay so how would I go about getting rid of windows completely then? My laptop doesn't see the sad card as a bootable device

Most of the time SD card readers cannot be used in the BIOS. They can read SD cards while in Windows with the correct drivers. I would suggest that you use a flash drive to create a bootable device to install Mint on that 97.6gb partition that you have sitting there instead of wiping Windows. This will be used as a failsafe in case you run into compatibility issues.

Edited by Homeless_Pineapple

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

1 minute ago, Homeless_Pineapple said:

Most of the time SD card readers cannot be used in the BIOS. They can read SD cards while in Windows with the correct drivers. I would suggest that you use a flash drive to create a bootable device to install Mint on that 97.6gb partition that you have sitting there instead of wiping Windows.

Ya see that's the thing. MintS already on that partition 

1 minute ago, skkler said:

Ya see that's the thing. MintS already on that partition 

Are you unable to boot into that partition? Did you simply transfer the files that are contained in the SD card, or did you install Mint onto the partition after booting from the SD card?

Desktop

Homelab

6 minutes ago, skkler said:

Copied. How would I install it

Copying files of an OS onto another drive will not make it bootable. Please follow the instructions listed at https://itsfoss.com/guide-install-linux-mint-16-dual-boot-windows/ to learn how to install Mint onto the partition you created.

Desktop

Homelab

3 hours ago, skkler said:

Copied. How would I install it

1. Download the Linux Mint ISO

2. Make a bootable USB using Linux Live USB Creator or Rufus

3. Boot your PC using the USB. (usually a key to enter boot menu)

4. Once you boot from the USB, there should be a install Linux Mint option, then just follow the instructions.

5. For install location, select the partition you created.

Just copy pasting the live image you got from the ISO wont install the boot loader (grub) so you can't launch the OS, Shura's post has the info required to create a live image on a usb (or you can make a dvd if you're machine can still use those) and boot to that image to access the installation tools. You might have to change your boot priority setting in your bios to be able to boot from a usb / dvd.

There is also many youtube videos on how to install linux (and probably mint) with detailed steps on how to do it. Mint usually setup almost everything for you but you still need to update the kernel manually (last I used it) so be aware of that.