Coffee Lake i7-8700k z170/z270 Compatibility

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Do you have a source?

Not one that I plan on passing along to you.  :P

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Then you may as well say anything you want. :/

Very true.  How about we check back on this thread after z370 and Coffee Lake releases?   :D

It seems like intel is rushing out more CPU's than ever.

2 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

It seems like intel is rushing out more CPU's than ever.

What gives you the impression of "rushing"?

7 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

What gives you the impression of "rushing"?

Well they have released a lot of skylake X CPU's such as the core i9 and core i7, plus a kabylake X core i5. Intel has released several different models of the sylake X family which is why I used the term "rushing".

1 minute ago, TheBeastPC said:

Well they have released a lot of skylake X CPU's such as the core i9 and core i7, plus a kabylake X core i5. Intel has released several different models of the sylake X family which is why I used the term "rushing".

Thanks for the clarification.

No doubt that they "rushed" or brought in the 12 through 18 core Skylake-X parts earlier than anticipated, but the Kaby Lake X and 6 through 10 core Skylake X parts were as planned.  So is Coffee Lake.  

It's very likely to keep the same 1151 socket. Maybe up to mobo manufacturers to give us support by releasing new BIOS or not.

Who cares, I want 10nm :/

A whole new motherboard just for 1 gen, and people still buy boards for "future-proofing?" lmao.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

According to this leak, it's showing 1151 LGA.

IMG_0610.PNG.3bc08d7eb8a3339a3a4f5ad235103297.PNG

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

12 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

According to this leak, it's showing 1151 LGA.

IMG_0610.PNG.3bc08d7eb8a3339a3a4f5ad235103297.PNG

Yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean Intel is going to allow 100 and 200 series mobos to support Coffee Lake.

So until Intel themselves officially say it is or it isn't, we don't know.

3 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Do you have a source?

I don't know if my word means anything, but let's say I too know of what he speaks of, and I can say this:

The chipset itself, Z270, supports Coffeelake. The current sockets on the other hand, do not. The internal pin configuration on every known board currently in use, is incompatible with Coffeelake due to how the power delivery of those pins were designed to accommodate the new cores, along with some minor tweaks to the memory subsystem to improve official DDR4 compatibility up to 2666mhz.

It is far easier to say you need a Z370 board, because it is highly unlikely that we will see current Z270 boards get an updated revision with a proper pin configuration to support CFL. That will only bring more confusion (similar to Z87/Z97 DC support being hit or miss depending on boards). Do I agree with Intel's reasoning behind this? Not at all, and it only further invalidates CFL as a potential platform option for most people. Why would anyone in their right mind, upgrade from Kaby to Coffeelake, requiring an entirely new platform, when they can just spend that money and upgrade to X299 instead, and have a future upgrade path that isn't limited to 6 cores at max? It just makes zero sense to me.

Had Coffeelake supported the current boards in circulation (even if it came at a clock speed disadvantage), at the very least, people could get more cores at the cost of clocks, without having to buy an entirely new motherboard. Instead, we now have this odd in-between platform that is essentially exactly the same as Kaby as far as IPC and features goes, but offers 2 more cores, stuffed in between yet another architecture that is similar to Kaby in terms of IPC (minus the cache changes) but offers far more cores. This is the most obfuscated product stack that I have ever personally seen.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

No one knows, all speculation.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

1 minute ago, He_162 said:

No one knows, all speculation.

Not everyone knows*, mostly speculation*. :) 

24 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Not everyone knows*, mostly speculation*. :) 

Let's not derail the thread by playing with semantics...

26 minutes ago, He_162 said:

No one knows, ... all speculation.

What is "all speculation" referring to? Is it the finite limit of space? The reason for our being? The afterlife? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

11 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

What is "all speculation" referring to? Is it the finite limit of space? The reason for our being? The afterlife? 

I am not playing with semantics. I was merely making a joke. No need to play mod again Arikozum, we are all adults here. 

8 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I am not playing with semantics. I was merely making a joke. No need to play mod again Arikozum, we are all adults here. 

I [sniffle] just wanted to play, too...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Just now, ARikozuM said:

I [sniffle] just wanted to play, too...

Arikozum...I...

1285425704843.gif

6 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Arikozum...I...

1285425704843.gif

I... Lex Luther you?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, ARikozuM said:

I... Lex Luther you?

Huh, it does look like Lex Luther. I just googled "Handsome Face" and that popped up. 

5 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

You're derailing the thread, I was simply pointing out we have no official information or even info hinting at it using LGA1150 / being compatible with Z1/270

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @3.7ghz (1.3v) Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 GPU: Zotac Mini GTX 1060 Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) Mobo: MSI B350m mortar arctic

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 (2x4gb, 2666mhz) Storage: Toshiba 1tb 7200rpm HDD, PNY CS1311 Sata SSD (6gb/s) PSU: EVGA - BQ 500w 80+ Bronze semi modular

Intel hasn't confirmed anything atm , so socket compatibility isn't known .

However , given the power requirements of a 6 core chip on the same node , it'll probably exceed the power limitations of the socket.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

6 hours ago, MageTank said:

I don't know if my word means anything, but let's say I too know of what he speaks of, and I can say this:

The chipset itself, Z270, supports Coffeelake. The current sockets on the other hand, do not. The internal pin configuration on every known board currently in use, is incompatible with Coffeelake due to how the power delivery of those pins were designed to accommodate the new cores, along with some minor tweaks to the memory subsystem to improve official DDR4 compatibility up to 2666mhz.

It is far easier to say you need a Z370 board, because it is highly unlikely that we will see current Z270 boards get an updated revision with a proper pin configuration to support CFL. That will only bring more confusion (similar to Z87/Z97 DC support being hit or miss depending on boards). Do I agree with Intel's reasoning behind this? Not at all, and it only further invalidates CFL as a potential platform option for most people. Why would anyone in their right mind, upgrade from Kaby to Coffeelake, requiring an entirely new platform, when they can just spend that money and upgrade to X299 instead, and have a future upgrade path that isn't limited to 6 cores at max? It just makes zero sense to me.

Had Coffeelake supported the current boards in circulation (even if it came at a clock speed disadvantage), at the very least, people could get more cores at the cost of clocks, without having to buy an entirely new motherboard. Instead, we now have this odd in-between platform that is essentially exactly the same as Kaby as far as IPC and features goes, but offers 2 more cores, stuffed in between yet another architecture that is similar to Kaby in terms of IPC (minus the cache changes) but offers far more cores. This is the most obfuscated product stack that I have ever personally seen.

So if Coffee Lake release date is august-september and Z370 chipset launches in Q1 2018, the processors will be in stores with no compatibility whatsoever? That doesn't seem right to me.

1 minute ago, Killer007 said:

So if Coffee Lake release date is august-september and Z370 chipset launches in Q1 2018, the processors will be in stores with no compatibility whatsoever? That doesn't seem right to me.

Huh? Where is the Aug/September date coming from? That's for the bigger Skylake-X chips. As far as I am aware, CFL was slated for Q4 2017/Q1 of 2018. Meaning, Oct at earliest, March 2018 at latest. 

The hardest part about conveying information I am not supposed to know, is doing it in a way that won't get somebody in trouble. All I can say is, it won't work, and that the only way for it to be proven, is to wait until it launches so that you can see that it doesn't. As for release dates, that has pretty much always been on the roadmaps (aside from delays) and all other recent leaks also show a similar Q4 2017/ Q1 2018 date.