Coffee Lake i7-8700k z170/z270 Compatibility

Just simple question will new coffee lake cpu's support older z170/z270 chipset motherboards ? I'm really interested on that what do you think about ? 

1 minute ago, EOZ said:

Just simple question will new coffee lake cpu's support older z170/z270 chipset motherboards ? I'm really interested on that what do you think about ? 

they probably gonna make a a z370

1 minute ago, CyberFern0 said:

they probably gonna make a a z370

Yes but socket is the same ? Any possibility ?

2 minutes ago, EOZ said:

thought you were joking with the coffee lake thing but your not xD

- SSUPD Meshlicous - Z170I - i7-6700K - Gigabyte 2080 - 16GB Corsair Vengance - 850 EVO 1TB - H115i ICUE Link- SF600

i have asked this same question and no one really knows at the moment some have said its gonna be a new socket others have said otherwise, so all you can really do is just wait for now

100% Coffee Lake will not support Z270 motherboards.  There is power delivery and DDR4 changes with Coffee Lake that make it incompatible even though it's the same total number of pins.  You'll have to buy a Z370 board during launch or wait until next year for Z390 (which isn't really going to add much over Z370)

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

How i understand release is pretty close 1 - 2 months from now?

Just now, EOZ said:

look at skylake release date, that gives you a rough estimate

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

1 minute ago, EOZ said:

It's in 2018.Threadripper is the one that's close

My life

Take it with a grain of salt and dont get too hyped about it

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

z370 is coming with Coffee Lake, however we don't know if it's backwards compatible. We've heard both ways. (Maybe lower SKUs are?)

Nobody knows yet aside from Intel. I would hope that they make CFL available for the current chipsets after a BIOS update. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

100% Coffee Lake will not support Z270 motherboards.  There is power delivery and DDR4 changes with Coffee Lake that make it incompatible even though it's the same total number of pins.  You'll have to buy a Z370 board during launch or wait until next year for Z390 (which isn't really going to add much over Z370)

The X299 will not support the Coffee Lake processor? I assume because it's the micro-architecture and the nano-meter differences. 

6 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

The current run of leaks show that whatever Coffee Lake was being tested ran on a 270 board.

Plus it would be pretty dumb to release this on the same exact socket.

Doubt it, Intel hasn't really done that with any new launch from what I can remember. Admittedly my memory is pretty bad. Also... Intel really likes money. (Also bribing other companies into not buying competitors products is a thing Intel likes).

I'm one of the few people I know that tend to repair electronics with a smith's hammer on a regular basis.

They normally use the "tick-tock" approach. So probably/hopefully not.

Okay let's see and wait what will happen. For me i7-8700k looks pretty tasty CPU but if it will not support current motherboards it will be kinda sad because of expensive upgrade.

8 minutes ago, NinJake said:

They normally use the "tick-tock" approach. So probably/hopefully not.

They don't do that anymore. It goes process-arch-optimise now.

4 minutes ago, EOZ said:

Okay let's see and wait what will happen. For me i7-8700k looks pretty tasty CPU but if it will not support current motherboards it will be kinda sad because of expensive upgrade.

Considering its release date as well as the complete lack of information surrounding Coffee Lake, no one knows anything other than it'll be on 1151.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

They don't do that anymore. It goes process-arch-optimise now.

When did this change? TIL.

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

When did this change? TIL.

When Intel stopped caring.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Hypnotoad's RAM is dying, his motherboard is acting like the 6-year-old AsRock it is, a couple of SATA ports have just stopped working, but the RGB remains. The RGB always remains. Hypnotoad lives. All glory to the Hypnotoad.

I actually think I remember seeing that article now lol. It just never stuck with me I guess :P

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The current run of leaks show that whatever Coffee Lake was being tested ran on a 270 board.

Plus it would be pretty dumb to release this on the same exact socket.

Yet, that's what they are doing.  If you want Coffee Lake, you're going to need a new z370 or higher board to do it.