Replacing dual-core i5 with quad-core i7 in notebook

I have an excellent condition XPS l501x laptop for travel use, and soon it will be my main computer in college. The notebook boasts a mighty i5 460m dual core CPU, paired with an nVidia GeForce 420m. Recently I have got my hands on a damaged Asus notebook, which has a quad-core i7 740qm. I was wondering if I could upgrade the CPU of my Dell, but looking around the internet discouraged me.

Could somebody give advice about the situation?

As far as I know the "Optimus" feature will not work with a quad-core, (because it has no GPU integrated,) therefore the XPS' motherboard will not boot with the i7.

But there were l501x-es with 740qm-s and GF435m-s inside, which GPUs also have Optimus capability.

image.jpg

image.jpg

But don't those chips use BGA?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

The chips aren't like desktop CPU's where you can swap them. They use BGA (Ball Grid Array) where basically the CPU is soldered onto the board. So I highly doubt you will be able to replace it.

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

I looked into this a while ago, and discovered a bunch of compatibility issues, not to mention that the chips are soldered to the motherboard. Don't waste your time.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

You might be able to, but you won't no for sure until you dissassemble the laptop and see the cpu itself.

Personally, I would not recommend it.  Not only will the i7 use more power, and put out more heat, but it has a lower base clock (1.73ghz compared to your 2.53ghz), meaning that it likely won't feel as responsive as the i5.  And almost any task that makes good use of the 4 cores will likely cause it to thermal throttle and lower the turbo clock.

Edited by JacobFW
Meant to say turbo clock instead of base clock at the end

I don't think those chips are using BGA, I guess they're using the standard kinda PGA thing, Socket 988 and such

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

Funny thing is I've heard for years that laptops all have the cpu soldered to the motherboard, yet everyone I've ever owned had been swappable.  

4 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

The chips aren't like desktop CPU's where you can swap them. They use BGA (Ball Grid Array) where basically the CPU is soldered onto the board. So I highly doubt you will be able to replace it.

3 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

I looked into this a while ago, and discovered a bunch of compatibility issues, not to mention that the chips are soldered to the motherboard. Don't waste your time.

7 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

yes and no , my laptop cpu can be removed (PGA)

where i usaed to work we barely had any laptops that came in with BGA we had a couple alienware 1st gen i7's come in they were PGA

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

4 minutes ago, JacobFW said:

Funny thing is I've heard for years that laptops all have the cpu soldered to the motherboard, yet everyone I've ever owned had been swappable.  

Minus my Dell 7559 and my old MacBook, same.

Anyways, OT:

I looked up the manual for the laptop.

It's the PGA version of the 460M.  PGA means pin-grid-array, not the ball grid array everyone thinks it is.

Yes, at least on the Dell, the CPU is swappable.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/xps-15/manuals

Page 100 of the service manual.

What model is the Asus, I can look it up if you give me the model of it and tell you if it uses PGA or BGA CPU.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

8 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

11 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

7 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/xps-15/manuals

Page 100 of the service manual.

It's not a BGA CPU.  It's PGA, meaning he should be able to swap it out.

1 minute ago, MadOverclocker said:

Yeah. Older laptop generally have PGA and newer laptop generally have BGA.

If I remember correctly, Intel stopped PGA mobile CPUs altogether, they're only BGA.  I don't know about AMD though.

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

If I remember correctly, Intel stopped PGA mobile CPUs altogether, they're only BGA.  I don't know about AMD though.

AMD did this too but they stopped too.

Just now, MadOverclocker said:

AMD did this too but they stopped too.

Ah, yep.

Unless MediaTek and Qualcomm are doing PGA chips for cheap Chromebooks and basic Windows 10 laptops, then there's really no way to get a new laptop with a swappable CPU...

Kind of irritating, as I've swapped CPUs on a laptop before to upgrade it, and it worked well.

My semi-trusty Asus Zenbook UX31E had the charge controller crap out on me a while back, so I replaced the motherboard.  Mine has an i5-2557m and 4 gigs of ram, but it was available with an i7-2677m.  The CPU is soldered to the mobo.

Considered buying an i7 motherboard for it, but it didn't seem to be worth it since both the i5 and i7 are garbage dual core sku's, and the i7 still has HD 3000 graphics and 4 gigs of ram.

With the exception of the rare socketed laptop CPU, that was probably the most likely to be successful i5 to i7 swap in a laptop.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.