!HELP! Trying to replace my ISP modem with a new one. Have no idea what im doing. :)

Jackwasp

So first of all, while fairly adept with tech, I dont know much about modems so bear with me. Im currently trying to replace my modem from Windstream (my ISP) which I pay monthly for. The modem from Windstream is an Arris NVG343BQ    https://www.arris.com/globalassets/resources/data-sheets/nvg34x_datasheet_20150501.pdf. If anyone could give me some tips on what i need to look for  to replace this one it would be greatly appreciated. 

Do you get voice or TV service through your ISP?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Do you get voice or TV service through your ISP?

I get voice. Thx for helping me out.

Just now, Jackwasp said:

I get voice. Thx for helping me out.

Ah, so you'll need to keep that modem for voice then but you should be able to add in another modem for just data. You shouldn't be charged if you use their modem for just voice but I would call and make sure.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Cool ill give them a call. Would you happen to know what kind of modem to replace this one with for data?

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Ah, so you'll need to keep that modem for voice then but you should be able to add in another modem for just data. You shouldn't be charged if you use their modem for just voice but I would call and make sure.

Cool ill give them a call. Would you happen to know what kind of modem to replace this one with for data?

3 minutes ago, Jackwasp said:

What speed do you get now? If its 300Mb/s or less, get the SB6190.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Here's Windstreams statement on 3rd party modems: https://www.windstream.com/Support/3rd-Party-Broadband-DSL-Modem/

Windstream offers very limited support for broadband DSL modems not issued by Windstream. We cannot guarantee these modems will be compatible with our Central Office equipment. When encountering technical difficulties with your broadband service in conjunction with a non-Windstream modem, our technicians can make sure to see if the DSL signal exists at the Network Interface Device (NID). Windstream cannot provide technical support or assistance in setting up a non-supported DSL modem and recommends in calling the modem's manufacturer for further assistance. When you call the modem's manufacturer, please provide them with the following information:

Also I found an unofficial list of modems compatible with windstream. http://www.approvedmodems.com/windstream.html

I find it strange that there are only 2 modems listed.

Also there are different DOCSIS standards for modems. I'm not entirely sure which version Windstream supports, but it's important to know which levels Windstream supports because it can impact what speeds are capable.

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

What speed do you get now? If its 300Mb/s or less, get the SB6190.

My speeds are well bekow that. Do you know of any cheaper im on a budget?

Just now, Jackwasp said:

My speeds are well bekow that. Do you know of any cheaper im on a budget?

Alright, if you're at 100Mb/s or below then the SB6141 is pretty good.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Chiller252 said:

Here's Windstreams statement on 3rd party modems: https://www.windstream.com/Support/3rd-Party-Broadband-DSL-Modem/

Also I found an unofficial list of modems compatible with windstream. http://www.approvedmodems.com/windstream.html

Also there are different DOCSIS standards for modems. I'm not entirely sure which version Windstream supports, but it's important to know which levels Windstream supports because it can impact what speeds are capable.

Thx for your help Chiller. But whats DOCSIS? 

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Alright, if you're at 100Mb/s or below then the SB6141 is pretty good.

Do you know any with that have wifi built in?

Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification. It's like the revision of the technology that translates the analog signal coming into the house from the coax cable to a digital signal that all other hardware on your network can communicate with. I'm not entirely sure how the technology even works. I should study it some more. All you need to know is that in 2006, DOCSIS 3.0 was introduced with enabled like 300 mbps connection speeds over cable.

11 minutes ago, Chiller252 said:

6 minutes ago, Jackwasp said:

Thx for your help Chiller. But whats DOCSIS? 

Windstream is a DSL provider. DOCSIS is a cable modem standard. Has nothing to do with Windstream. 

DO NOT BUY A CABLE MODEM, it wont work. You need a DSL modem

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, Chiller252 said:

Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification. It's like the revision of the technology that translates the analog signal coming into the house from the coax cable to a digital signal that all other hardware on your network can communicate with. I'm not entirely sure how the technology even works. I should study it some more. All you need to know is that in 2006, DOCSIS 3.0 was introduced with enabled like 300 mbps connection speeds over cable.

Cool, do you have any idea how difficult setting up your own modem is?

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Windstream is a DSL provider. DOCSIS is a cable modem standard. Has nothing to do with Windstream. 

DO NOT BUY A CABLE MODEM, it wont work. You need a DSL modem

Thanks Donut, whats the difference between ADSL and DSL?

1 minute ago, Jackwasp said:

Ones better than the other. I think. See we have been with Comcast for over 10 years. Comcast is a cable provider, so I know more about the DOCSIS standard than DSL. Hell I cant even get DSL where I live. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

One

1 minute ago, Jackwasp said:

ADSL is faster. That's it. Was goimg to jump on and say windstream is DSL not cable but someone beat me to it.

I totally missed the fact that it was DSL. I'm even less confident with my knowledge of DSL, so I'm going to leave this open for others to help.

Just now, Chiller252 said:

I totally missed the fact that it was DSL. I'm even less confident with my knowledge of DSL, so I'm going to leave this open for others to help.

Yah, I saw the Arris and my mind immediately jumped to cable.

Not really up to speed on DSL either :( 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Chiller252 said:

KK, thanks for your help Chiller.

Just now, Lurick said:

Yah, I saw the Arris and my mind immediately jumped to cable.

Not really up to speed on DSL either :( 

LOL no one is. :)

3 minutes ago, Zonther said:

One

ADSL is faster. That's it. Was goimg to jump on and say windstream is DSL not cable but someone beat me to it.

Faster as in it can handle more data?

Just pick up and ADSL modem. Companies might say they are not compatible but its pure BS.

Once you buy one and set it up you will need to configure the WAN interface. You can either have it as PPPOE, IP over ethernet or Bridging. Go through each and see which connects. Most the time its IP over ethernet by default. 

You have VoIP so you will need a modem that has both ADSL/VDSL (you will need to call your provider to make sure which one they use.) With VoIP to keep your phones.