WiFi keeps dropping connection, is it my WiFi adapter or my WiFi?

apav

Hi guys,

I moved and now unfortunately my desktop is a little too out of the way for ethernet, so I've been using this 7 year old (but barely used) TP-Link TL-WN722N USB WiFi adapter for about a month now. It's been working fine until yesterday, when it suddenly dropped connection (still connected to WiFi, just no internet access). It usually regains internet after a disconnect/reconnect, unplug/replug, or simply by waiting, but that lasts for usually less than a minute until it slows down and drops again.

Here's the strange part though. I can connect it to my phone's mobile hotspot and it works fine, even when it drops from my house WiFi. But the house WiFi also works fine on all my other devices in the same location as my desktop, at the same time it's dropping from my desktop. So I can't figure out if it's the adapter or if it's my WiFi. I haven't had any issues with it up until yesterday, so it can't be due to interference. I've also had no problems with my house WiFi on any of my other devices since yesterday so I don't think it's that either. Do you think this adapter is on its way out? 

Thanks!

You could be right on the edge of the range for the two to communicate with each other properly.

You should try running a wifi analyser on your phone before you buy anything, you'll be able to see how strong the signal is and make sure that none of your neighbours are using the same wifi channel as you. If there are other SSIDs broadcasting on your channel, switch your channel in your router config and test again.

If you do need a new adaptor, you might like Ethernet over Powerline, it's usually much more consistent than wireless.

40 minutes ago, Nothin Toxic said:

You could be right on the edge of the range for the two to communicate with each other properly.

You should try running a wifi analyser on your phone before you buy anything, you'll be able to see how strong the signal is and make sure that none of your neighbours are using the same wifi channel as you. If there are other SSIDs broadcasting on your channel, switch your channel in your router config and test again.

If you do need a new adaptor, you might like Ethernet over Powerline, it's usually much more consistent than wireless.

I was going to get a powerline adapter, but I didn't because didn't think I needed it. I'm only getting 20 Mbps from this ISP and I'm in the room across the hall from the room with the router, the distance is about 15-20ft. This WiFi adapter is old and only 150 Mbps, but besides an occasional hiccup or two for a split second in online games I saw no difference between it and ethernet (ran a long cable to test it, I was getting nearly the same exact speeds with both). Until it started giving me issues. If I'm going to spend $30-$50 to replace it, should I look at powerline instead? I'm not sure how good this house's wiring is.

Those tiny little hiccoughs can be the death of you in an online game.
A lot of people hate these ideas... but you could buy both a new wireless adaptor and an Ethernet over powerline kit, test both, see which you like more and then return the one you didn't pick.

EoP tends to be slower but more consistent, if you need a stable connection, I'd say it's worth a try.

12 minutes ago, Nothin Toxic said:

Those tiny little hiccoughs can be the death of you in an online game.
A lot of people hate these ideas... but you could buy both a new wireless adaptor and an Ethernet over powerline kit, test both, see which you like more and then return the one you didn't pick.

EoP tends to be slower but more consistent, if you need a stable connection, I'd say it's worth a try.

Can I return it if it's not defective though? If it doesn't work in my house, that's not the fault of the manufacturer. Those hiccups don't happen that often though, but I guess I'll try powerline. 

You'd have to look at the return policy of the place where you buy the unit.
In some places (AUS, and some US states) retailers are required by law to give a customer a full refund for any reason within a certain time limit.

Return policy laws by state:

http://consumer.findlaw.com/consumer-transactions/customer-returns-and-refund-laws-by-state.html

3 hours ago, apav said:

Can I return it if it's not defective though? If it doesn't work in my house, that's not the fault of the manufacturer. Those hiccups don't happen that often though, but I guess I'll try powerline. 

I used to work at Sams Club here in the US. Our policy was, you can return it for any reason at all or no reason for that matter. As long as you were with in the time limit for returns you were golden. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Thanks guys! I'll look into a replacement. For now... strange. It's not dropping anymore, but it's definitely not as fast or responsive as it has been for the past month I've been using it before I ran into issues. I'm still getting hiccups in games and download speeds are noticeably slower. What could this mean?

1 hour ago, apav said:

Thanks guys! I'll look into a replacement. For now... strange. It's not dropping anymore, but it's definitely not as fast or responsive as it's been for the past month I've been using it before I ran into issues. I'm still getting hiccups in games and download speeds are noticeably slower. What could this mean?

Its a USB adapter. They tend to suck anyway. Id look at a PCI express adapter. Or Power lines.  You could also look in to Moca if you have coax where your computer and where your router is. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.