1080 vs 1080ti in future proofing

Pyrofan

When looking at the current price of the 1080 and 1080ti, the difference is about $160 ( I said ABOUT).

So with that, looking to a buy a GPU to TRY and future proof a build, what is $160 worth in terms of time? Is that an extra year? Two years? Month? I guess the economist can come in and ask what is my buying power then vs now, like if $579 buys me 8gb of ram and 11 GBPS, what will that buy in 4 years. Is it better to spend now, or save for 4 years down the road (I got 4 years from the r9 290, so I expect atleast that from this card.) 

Noone can give you that kind of info.

But I would go with 1080 ti if I were you. Those 160$ are well worth it.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

just get the 1080ti

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

What is your current graphics card and rest of your PC specs?

If you are not requiring absolute bleeding edge, you should be buying XX70 series cards every time it gets launched.

Remember that XX80ti is likely going to be on par with next XX70 or slightly worse over time.

So if you don't mind swapping out graphics card every generation, then buying XX70 series card would be the best way to keep up with tech.

5 hours ago, Pyrofan said:

When looking at the current price of the 1080 and 1080ti, the difference is about $160 ( I said ABOUT).

So with that, looking to a buy a GPU to TRY and future proof a build, what is $160 worth in terms of time? Is that an extra year? Two years? Month? I guess the economist can come in and ask what is my buying power then vs now, like if $579 buys me 8gb of ram and 11 GBPS, what will that buy in 4 years. Is it better to spend now, or save for 4 years down the road (I got 4 years from the r9 290, so I expect atleast that from this card.) 

Was in same boat as you. Went from AMD 7870 to 1080ti, that card lasted me 5 years (the amd still works for majority of the games just not for AAA). But upped the ante for 1440p hi frame rate gaming and more realistic titles [ie Witcher 3, DOOM, Prey], the 1080ti was a no brainer... id expect it to hold up 7+ years at least. not the type to jump card after card every year, just doesn't seem viable in the long run.

If the difference is 160$, then is worth... before it used to be almost a 500-600aud difference for me between the two until nice offer popped up.

i bought the 1080 then sold it for 150 more, and use that extra to subsidize my 1080ti offer... which amounted to a net total of 670usd w/ tax for strix variant...

but that was obviously during mining phase. things have taken a slight twist for now

all in all i spent maybe 100aud more than before, but for the peformance boost for the extra in price was a no brainer

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

I ended up replacing my 780 simply because of Vram bottlenecks. 3GB just isn't enough anymore. So I replaced it with a 1080ti because I figured the 11GB of Vram would make a big difference in its lifespan. 

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

25 minutes ago, RainbowTylernol said:

I ended up replacing my 780 simply because of Vram bottlenecks. 3GB just isn't enough anymore. So I replaced it with a 1080ti because I figured the 11GB of Vram would make a big difference in its lifespan. 

The thing is that i have a gtx 1080ti and i play at 1440p resolution. The most Vram i've used so far for me is just under 4 gig vram and that was on games like GTA 5 and Ghost Recon Wildlands. Played quite a few games but ive not seen any games yet which ive played which up the vram usuage to over 4 gig LOL. 

28 minutes ago, IceCold008 said:

The thing is that i have a gtx 1080ti and i play at 1440p resolution. The most Vram i've used so far for me is just under 4 gig vram and that was on games like GTA 5 and Ghost Recon Wildlands. Played quite a few games but ive not seen any games yet which ive played which up the vram usuage to over 4 gig LOL. 

Yeah I guess I forgot to mention I'm playing on a PG348Q. 3440x1440 eats a lot more Vram. So pretty much every AAA game was capping out the 3GB of my 780. Now I don't see VRam being an issue for a long while : )

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

I guess the 1080ti is the general consensus. 

Sounds like you've made up your mind, but for me the idea was I was going to buy at least buy a 1080, so the question was if that extra 160 or so was worth it. If I ultimately decide it wasn't worth it, well, it's "only" 160 that I squandered. I'm a gold medalist at mental gymnastics to justify expenses!

Also I don't believe you mentioned your monitor. If you're at 4k or might be at 4k in a year or two, I'd say 1080 ti is definitely the right call. Or if you want to  really push out frames on a 120hz+ monitor at 1440p. If you're at 1080p the 1080 ti is definitely overkill.

no card is really super future proofed if you always want to play the latest games maxed out, even if you went for the 1080ti u still may need to upgrade in a couple years but of course it is less likely than if you bought the 1080.

The Ti might be a good investment that'll get you an extra year over the 1080 before you need to upgrade, but in 4-5 years when you need to upgrade, the gpu architecture improvements might make it worthwhile to upgrade a year earlier. Besides, if you don't do 4k gaming or video editing/rendering, you don't really need the Ti.

4 minutes ago, ZenMonkey said:

The Ti might be a good investment that'll get you an extra year over the 1080 before you need to upgrade, but in 4-5 years when you need to upgrade, the gpu architecture improvements might make it worthwhile to upgrade a year earlier. Besides, if you don't do 4k gaming or video editing/rendering, you don't really need the Ti.

Yea I run a advertising business and deal with 4k 60fps footage pretty regularly. I also have a 4k monitor that I really dont use because my card cant run 4k. I am gonna order and EVGA SC2 1080Ti and hope prices dont drop. 

11 hours ago, Shimejii said:

Overall its not going to be THAT much of a difference, youll be upgrading in about 2-4 years anyway.

I agree.

Look, a 1080ti is about 20% faster than a 1080.

If you compare a GTX 780 (which is a roughly 4 year old GPU) to a 1080, it is More than 110% faster (so more than twice as fast).

So by the time you are going to upgrade in 3 or 4 years, the new GPU will be more than twice as fast as both the 1080 or the 1080Ti. So it won't really make that big of a difference. If it takes the most recent GPU to run something, that 4 year old GPU +20% isn't going to make it playable all of a sudden.

It might make a difference though in let's say the medium term, 2 years from now, it might mean the difference between running something on High versus medium.

If you really think about it, it doesn;t even make a big difference now. That 20% extra speed means the difference between Ultra and High settings, or between 144fps and 120 fps, not between being able to run something and not being able to.

1 minute ago, maartendc said:

I agree.

Look, a 1080ti is about 20% faster than a 1080.

If you compare a GTX 780 (which is a roughly 4 year old GPU) to a 1080, it is More than 110% faster (so more than twice as fast).

So by the time you are going to upgrade in 3 or 4 years, the new GPU will be more than twice as fast as both the 1080 or the 1080Ti. So it won't really make that big of a difference. If it takes the most recent GPU to run something, that 4 year old GPU +20% isn't going to make it playable all of a sudden.

It might make a difference though in let's say the medium term, 2 years from now, it might mean the difference between running something on High versus medium.

If you really think about it, it doesn;t even make a big difference now. That 20% extra speed means the difference between Ultra and High settings, or between 144fps and 120 fps, not between being able to run something and not being able to.

So are you saying get the 1080? Because from what I have seen, even the 1080 can struggle at 4k 60fps

18 minutes ago, Pyrofan said:

Yea I run a advertising business and deal with 4k 60fps footage pretty regularly. I also have a 4k monitor that I really dont use because my card cant run 4k. I am gonna order and EVGA SC2 1080Ti and hope prices dont drop. 

Prices always drop, my friend, but that's a good choice for what you do.

12 minutes ago, Pyrofan said:

So are you saying get the 1080? Because from what I have seen, even the 1080 can struggle at 4k 60fps

Look, if you are running 4K, I'd say more power is definitely better. Get the 1080Ti.

Also, if you run 160Hz or 144Hz monitor, the 1080Ti is probably worth it.

However, if you ask if the 1080Ti will 'future proof' you better than a 1080, I'd say no.

To your original question: is it better to spend the $160 now versus later, the answer is probably later. Look at it this way: if you spend that $160 later, you will be able to upgrade sooner, because you saved some money. That earlier upgrade will give you a better gaming experience than the 1080Ti would at that point in time.

It is the age old question: should I spend more now, and not upgrade for 5 years, versus spending less, and upgrading every 3 years.

I tend to believe it is smarter to get a mid-range system and upgrade a bit sooner. The best value for money is definitely in the mid-range, so you are getting better value in the long term for this. Usually, a system that is twice as expensive, is NOT twice as fast.

(Only caveat is that the 1080Ti is 20% more expensive while being 20% faster, so it actually does give you value for money. So if you need the 1080Ti to run 4K, it is still a good purchase.)

EDIT: I see you are running a 100HZ monitor at 1440p ultrawide. 1080 should be plenty for the forseeable future. Save your money for a future upgrade.

19 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Look, if you are running 4K, I'd say more power is definitely better. Get the 1080Ti.

Also, if you run 160Hz or 144Hz monitor, the 1080Ti is probably worth it.

However, if you ask if the 1080Ti will 'future proof' you better than a 1080, I'd say no.

To your original question: is it better to spend the $160 now versus later, the answer is probably later. Look at it this way: if you spend that $160 later, you will be able to upgrade sooner, because you saved some money. That earlier upgrade will give you a better gaming experience than the 1080Ti would at that point in time.

It is the age old question: should I spend more now, and not upgrade for 5 years, versus spending less, and upgrading every 3 years.

I tend to believe it is smarter to get a mid-range system and upgrade a bit sooner. The best value for money is definitely in the mid-range, so you are getting better value in the long term for this. Usually, a system that is twice as expensive, is NOT twice as fast.

(Only caveat is that the 1080Ti is 20% more expensive while being 20% faster, so it actually does give you value for money. So if you need the 1080Ti to run 4K, it is still a good purchase.)

EDIT: I see you are running a 100HZ monitor at 1440p ultrawide. 1080 should be plenty for the forseeable future. Save your money for a future upgrade.

Im not running 1440p? I got a 4k monitor. 

3 minutes ago, Pyrofan said:

Im not running 1440p? I got a 4k monitor. 

Oh I'm sorry, I read someone had a PG348Q, I assumed that was the OP

For 4K, 1080Ti is probably better if you can afford it. 1080 should be fine, but for 4K you really need all the power you can get...

Dont assume it will be future proof though... There is no such thing as future proofing in 4K.

The current gen of cards is just now able to run 4k 60FPS on CURRENT games. There is no headroom. If future games get more demanding, you will drop below 60fps even on a 1080Ti.