AMD topples analysts revenue projections

nicehat
5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The thing is though, AMD still lost money and I don't think that's what people are interpreting when they read this post.

The operating income was positive, but their net income was negative.

Operating income = Gross income minus a few things like salaries, but it does not factor in all types of expenses such as taxes, interest expenses and some other things such as lawsuit settlements.

Net income = The income they are left with at the end of the day, when all the expenses has been subtracted from their revenue.

A few years ago I remember going 20 rounds with people regarding AMD's finances.  I just couldn't be arsed going into such details anymore.  It makes little difference beyond the concepts of either getting better or getting worse.  Today they are getting better. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Their operating income was positive, but their net income (as in, what you're left with after paying for all expenses) was still negative 16 million.

That's bad because at the end of the day, AMD has less money now than they did at the beginning of the quarter.

But considering the fact that they had a net income of negative 73 million dollars in Q1 this can be seen as positive. So if things keep getting better for AMD (like for example getting Ryzen into prebuilt computers) then they might be able to break even soon. I wouldn't bet money on it though.

Probably need to check their quarterly reports, AMD has being paying back debts hard. They currently owe about half of what Nvidia does. AMD needs to pay it back though because it's all about balance, Nvidia owing 2 billion (ish) dollars isn't that big of a mark against them for investors with all other factors taken in to account but AMD owing 1.375 billion totally is something investors look at and worry about.

Long term debt in Dec 2016 was 1.435b and Jul 2017 1.375b, however short term debt increased over those two quarters.

GAAP operating loss was 16 million but Non-GAPP operating income was 19 million.

Devil is in the detail and unfortunately for AMD they are riding that line much more finely than Nvidia etc are so you have to look at it while the others are just making profit and it's just a debate about how much.

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

even AMD said that these results were because of miners

Citation needed.

The company said in a statement that the sales increase was driven primarily by higher revenue in its computing and graphics segment.

Do you mean this? Because that says fuck all about mining and we need to get you to an optician ASAP.

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Citation needed.

Do you mean this? Because that says fuck all about mining and we need to get you to an optician ASAP.

You'd have to be pretty naive to think a lot of their revenue (selling out all their supply of GPU's) wasn't due to the mining craze.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

You'd have to be pretty naive to think a lot of their revenue (selling out all their supply of GPU's) wasn't due to the mining craze.

Oh I agree, but thinking so and a company statement are polar opposites. My point was they didn't say that at all.

11 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Citation needed.

Yes, that's the statement I meant. It does not say the precise word "mining", but miners have been buying cards like crazy and mining falls under the category AMD specifically said helped them.

Ca you give examples of something else which has resulted in AMD selling a lot of compute and graphics cards in the last couple of months? I certainly can't.

You don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to understand what they are referring to. 

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

The thing is though, AMD still lost money and I don't think that's what people are interpreting when they read this post.

The operating income was positive, but their net income was negative.

Operating income = Gross income minus a few things like salaries, but it does not factor in all types of expenses such as taxes, interest expenses and some other things such as lawsuit settlements.

Net income = The income they are left with at the end of the day, when all the expenses has been subtracted from their revenue.

Yes, but no doubt AMD "lost money" because much of the income they're gaining is going to pay off their debts.  If I owe $1,000 and someone gives me $500, then I pay $700 (using some money I already had) to pay down my debt; I'll have technically lost $200, even I though I actually netted a gain and now only owe $300.  It's the same principle for AMD, just on a much larger scale.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Probably need to check their quarterly reports, AMD has being paying back debts hard. They currently owe about half of what Nvidia does. AMD needs to pay it back though because it's all about balance, Nvidia owing 2 billion (ish) dollars isn't that big of a mark against them for investors with all other factors taken in to account but AMD owing 1.375 billion totally is something investors look at and worry about.

Long term debt in Dec 2016 was 1.435b and Jul 2017 1.375b, however short term debt increased over those two quarters.

GAAP operating loss was 16 million but Non-GAPP operating income was 19 million.

Devil is in the detail and unfortunately for AMD they are riding that line much more finely than Nvidia etc are so you have to look at it while the others are just making profit and it's just a debate about how much.

Exactly.

Great it's going well and continues to do so now with many new producta this year. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |