Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheBritishVillain

Petrol & Diesel cars to be BANNED by 2040

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

Doesn't seem like an impossible task. When there is a demand science will always meet it. So when theres a demand for electric trucks then expect to see them rolling out

With current tech, you either need to make the vehicle significantly bigger, or take up existing space. Neither are an option if you need the space and your vehicle can't corner well due to its length.

Or make the vehicular equivalent to the Note 7.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, cj09beira said:

not really as those giant plants can achieve much higher efficiency and lower emissions because weight and price is not a problem 

Higher efficiency is good however you're not taking into account increasing the electricity demand orders of magnitude since there's metric tons of gas and diesel that would transition to electricity.

So actually it would be a problem. Here's a hint: they're giving themselves 23 years to do it precisely because of things like this.

-------

Current Rig

-------

10 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

With current tech, you either need to make the vehicle significantly bigger, or take up existing space. Neither are an option if you need the space and your vehicle can't corner well due to its length.

Or make the vehicular equivalent to the Note 7.

I imagine that by 2040 we won't be using current tech to try and make a motor with enough power to run a tractor trailer. 

Main PC:  Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula Z | RAM: Amd R9 Gamer 32gb 2400mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF X Case | Storage: Amd R7 480gb, 2x Crucial M500 240gb, Toshiba 5TB | PSU: Antec True Power Quattro 1200 | CPU: Amd FX-9590 | GPU: Asus Amd Fury X | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Sound: Razer Leviathan | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Display: Dell u3415w | Cooling: Apogee XL, Heatkiller Fury X w/ Back Plate, 720mm Rad

3 hours ago, GamingMemeKing said:

So, is this the end of motor vehicles as we know it? 

lol no

honestly, this seems reasonable.  I think that should be enough time to get batteries up to an acceptable capacity, especially for use in the UK where the furthest possible distance you can travel still isn't that far relatively speaking.

23 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

I imagine that by 2040 we won't be using current tech to try and make a motor with enough power to run a tractor trailer. 

We've got electric motors that can do that now. The issue being that current tech requires a near doubling of the size of trucks to make a vehicle with a half way decent range, and physics tell us that denser batteries will be more spectacular to watch explode.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

40 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Doesn't seem like an impossible task. When there is a demand science will always meet it. So when theres a demand for electric trucks then expect to see them rolling out

yes, because science 9_9

you should add religion in that same sentence because it makes equal sense

what if "science" can't come up denser energy storage, what then? eh ...

Well they predict the petrol to run out around 2050 so this makes sense.

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP Envy x360 13

APU: R7 2700u | RAM: 8GB | SSD: 240GB NVME | Display: 1920*1080 IPS touch with pen | OS: Windows 10 Home 1903

Accessories:

Spoiler

Mouse: G602 | Monitor: AOC Q3279VWFD8 | Mic: Blue Snowball iCE | Headphones: who knows lol

AMP/DAC: FiiO E07k | Phone: iPhone 7+ 128gb Matte Black

This is what happens when you don't level your fucking cities and rebuild them to support any actual infrastructure. And new developments should've never followed old thought processes. 

Also your diesels suck.

Just now, RGProductions said:

Well they predict the petrol to run out around 2050 so this makes sense.

They've been predicting that since before I was born (late 70's, if you wish to know), yet somehow we haven't run out.  Not to mention that constant improvements in the refinery process allows for more gasoline to be created with less waste.  If we run out in 2050, I'll eat both my hats.

Just now, Jito463 said:

They've been predicting that since before I was born (late 70's, if you wish to know), yet somehow we haven't run out.  Not to mention that constant improvements in the refinery process allows for more gasoline to be created with less waste.  If we run out in 2050, I'll eat both my hats.

LOL. I really don't believe it either, but it will run out eventually, although we have bigger problems right now.

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP Envy x360 13

APU: R7 2700u | RAM: 8GB | SSD: 240GB NVME | Display: 1920*1080 IPS touch with pen | OS: Windows 10 Home 1903

Accessories:

Spoiler

Mouse: G602 | Monitor: AOC Q3279VWFD8 | Mic: Blue Snowball iCE | Headphones: who knows lol

AMP/DAC: FiiO E07k | Phone: iPhone 7+ 128gb Matte Black

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

If you count an concept car with a V10 engine that still is going to get 15mpg tops. You see there technically are a lot of "Hybrid" super cars, La Ferrari, P1, 918, the list continues. However, they are not like traditional hybrids. Electric motors have incredible torque from a stand still, so in these super cars the use the electric motors solely for the purpose of getting the car up to speed quickly. Once you are going the big 10mpg V8 takes over. The only super car that acts as a true hybrid is the Acura NSX. And that car is a massive flop and barely selling.

4 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Veyron has no electric at all. P1 and 918 are all hybrids and just use electric motors to get off the line. Then a good old gas guzzling V8 takes over.

They use electric during shifts as well, the way they use their energy is actually a lot smarter than the common hybrid really. Electric motors massively out accelerate petrol engines and that's when they use the most petrol. Only using the electric motors to start rolling and to increase speed in standard conditions seems like a much smarter way to me than putting a weak ass engine in the car and trying to solely use battery till it runs low.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

They use electric during shifts as well, the way they use their energy is actually a lot smarter than the common hybrid really. Electric motors massively out accelerate petrol engines and that's when they use the most petrol. Only using the electric motors to start rolling and to increase speed in standard conditions seems like a much smarter way to me than putting a weak ass engine in the car and trying to solely use battery till it runs low.

Certain electric motors can out perform gas to a point. Now most electric cars will not be beaten by gas. Now if we take the fastest electric car, the Tesla Model S P100D, that will beat 99.9% of gas cars in a quarter mile drag, even virtually all super cars, just because of it's sheer acceleration, however after that quarter mile, you will be destroyed by any super car and most muscle cards. Electric motors fade quickly in their speed.

14 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

If you count an concept car with a V10 engine that still is going to get 15mpg tops. You see there technically are a lot of "Hybrid" super cars, La Ferrari, P1, 918, the list continues. However, they are not like traditional hybrids. Electric motors have incredible torque from a stand still, so in these super cars the use the electric motors solely for the purpose of getting the car up to speed quickly. Once you are going the big 10mpg V8 takes over. The only super car that acts as a true hybrid is the Acura NSX. And that car is a massive flop and barely selling.

Well if we're talking Lambo's all their top end cars are pretty much concept cars. They sell in low numbers, cost a lot, are exclusive invite and have named chassis.

Also read my last post, the electric engines do more than what you're saying for those three cars.

Just now, Max_Settings said:

Certain electric motors can out perform gas to a point. Now most electric cars will not be beaten by gas. Now if we take the fastest electric car, the Tesla Model S P100D, that will beat 99.9% of gas cars in a quarter mile drag, even virtually all super cars, just because of it's sheer acceleration, however after that quarter mile, you will be destroyed by any super car and most muscle cards. Electric motors fade quickly in their speed.

All electric motors out perform petrol engines for acceleration, that is the characteristic of electric motors. You can throw a lot at a petrol engine and it will be able to do very well but that isn't the point. Sure put a tiny pathetic electric motor against a decent petrol engine and it will lose, but you don't need a P100D to beat a 800HP car to 30km/h.

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

All electric motors out perform petrol engines for acceleration, that is the characteristic of electric motors. You can throw a lot at a petrol engine and it will be able to do very well but that isn't the point. Sure put a tiny pathetic electric motor against a decent petrol engine and it will lose, but you don't need a P100D to beat a 800HP car to 30km/h.

Look at common electric car 0-60 (or 0-30 for you) times. How about the new Tesla Model 3? 0-60, 6 seconds.  A Toyota Camry XSE, (same price) 5.8 seconds. Chevy Bolt, another $35,000 car, 6.5 seconds. Nissan Leaf, 10.4 seconds 0-60.  As you can see, cheap electric cars can be bested by nothing more than a common place Toyota Camry. How about upper mid range? Let's take the base Model S for $70,000. 0-60 in 4.3 seconds. So how about a competing sports sedan. The Alpha Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, 3.8 seconds, $72,000. Audi RS 3, 3.9 seconds, $60,000. BMW M3, 4 seconds, $65,000. As you can clearly see, except for the P100D, any electric car can be easily beaten by a gas car of the same price.

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

Higher efficiency is good however you're not taking into account increasing the electricity demand orders of magnitude since there's metric tons of gas and diesel that would transition to electricity.

So actually it would be a problem. Here's a hint: they're giving themselves 23 years to do it precisely because of things like this.

They're giving themselves that long so the current politicians don't have to take the fall for it failing. Which it will.

We have over 150 years of building out the infrastructure to support Oil-based movement. 23 years is several decades too low to even think about a "switch", along with not being a 1 to 1 technology replacement. If the UK starts building nuclear power plants right now, I'm not sure they'll even have close to enough Energy Generation to meet that level of demand.  There's also no assurances that batteries can be stretched that far, as the tech is getting more & more expensive to improve. You don't just will 100s of billions into Research on a whim.

For those that know any part of the energy tech industry, we've been "just 20 years away!" from Fusion tech since 1959. Still don't have it. Long-range Electric Cars do have their place and it's cool tech in general, but this is one of those "free" issues for politicians: they never have to worry about the damage they'll cause.