Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheBritishVillain

Petrol & Diesel cars to be BANNED by 2040

Posted · Original PosterOP

Britain to ban sale of all diesel and petrol cars and vans from 2040.

As part of a government strategy to improve air quality, Britain is to ban all new petrol and diesel cars and vans from 2040 amid fears that rising levels of nitrogen oxide pose a major risk to public health.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/25/britain-to-ban-sale-of-all-diesel-and-petrol-cars-and-vans-from-2040

-

So, is this the end of motor vehicles as we know it? 

I, for one, personally favour the proposed changes. Hopefully other countries will follow suit with France & Britain. 

CPU: De-lidded i7 8086K @ OC 5.1 GHz

CPU Fan: NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid Cooler

GPU: RTX 2080 Ti Zotac Gaming AMP Edition

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED / RGB 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MHz

Storage (OS): Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVMe SSD

Storage (Games): Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

Storage (Other): Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM HDD

PSU: Corsair HX850i (Platinum)

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-F ATX

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Gunmetal

Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG258Q

I could see a high tax but a ban is stupid 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @stock, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 750, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Compute server Rappter(remember to add link) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

WIP NAS Spirt Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap

It was bound to happen eventually. Hopefully setting a date and making the intention clear will help push forward advancement in technology and development of the infrastructure. 

This should start to put pressure on the development of faster charging and generally improvements to battery technology which has been mostly stagnant for the past few years. 

I could see this happening eventually, but i wouldn't have thought it that soon. 

Probably waiting for the forum to load until the NBN gets here, while waiting for my school laptop to boot.

Custom PC:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 5820k | RAM: 20GB 2400 DDR4 | Mobo: Asus x99-a | GPU: MSI gtx 980 | Case: Coolermaster CM Storm | HDD: 3TB WD Black | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 Evo | PSU: Coolermaster V1000 | Display: BenQ XL2730Z | OS: Windows 10 Home (boot: 34 seconds)

School Laptop (Used to run Inventor and Photoshop):

Spoiler

HP Probook 430 G2 (CPU: i3 4030U (underclocked and locked to 1.9Ghz) | RAM: 4GB | HDD: 320GB (60GB for user) | Display: 1366x768 TN 13.3 | (boot: 7:23) (Now with 200% more bloat)

Personal Laptop:

Spoiler

Dell Inspiron PP20L OS: Mint and CentOS (absolutely crushes my school laptop despite being about 8 years old)

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Headmounted Speakers: Sony MDR 1RNC ( @LinusTech should seriously review some Sony headphones, these sound amazing.) , TypeWriter: Logitech  MX800, Clicker: Logitech MX800

Totally Useful Links:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

America will never do this. 

Soon my pretty...

washington_DC_destroyed-600x262.jpg

This is 100% agreed. But for classic cars, there should be a specialty place that you need a permit to get gas at.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

4 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

The tax would have to be absurdly high to work.

I mean people in Denmark have (gasoline/diesel) cars despite having to pay 25% VAT and up to 150% tax.

Just now, GDRRiley said:

Tax is already high and has recently been increased for all but electric vehicles, which are road tax free. 

I don't think a ban is stupid, I see it as inevitable and necessary. With how fast things are progressing, it may not be too long before you can't even buy cars that you can drive yourself, or at least not ones with no assisted driving. I can see there being exceptions though in the areas such as motorsport, where the law is that you can't have a petrol/diesel vehicle on the road, but track only vehicles can be made and bought. 

Just now, Max_Settings said:

Nah we'll just let the Europeans fix the pollution issue and we'll keep all the cool cars. Why do you think we aren't in the Paris Climate Accord?

Lol, you're still in the climate deal as you can only exit with 4 years warning.

16 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Nah we'll just let the Europeans fix the pollution issue and we'll keep all the cool cars. Why do you think we aren't in the Paris Climate Accord?

Bruh, we got Lambos, Ferrai, Aston Martin & Porsche, etc.

All America has got is plastic Corvettes and red neck Mustangs ;P 

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

Depending on how the ban works, it may be that making them is banned throughout Europe, meaning you'd be stuck with American cars. At that point, it's not worth it. 

(it's a joke BTW)

Just now, GamingMemeKing said:

All American has got is plastic Corvettes and Mustang. ;P 

Not after you ban gas cars you won't. An electric Lambo that makes no sound will be real fun.

I've been saying things like this for a bit, however I really think america will end up doing this as well.

Everyone who says "America will never give up it's beloved muscle cars!" forget that people used to laugh at the idea of an "Iron Horse", and with current job automation levels rising, and a huge shift into the STEM fields, most people will be quick to understand the benefits of eletric cars.

7 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

I don't care what you say, fixing this supposed global warming is not worth giving up this sound

The problem here is - whether or not this post is sarcasm - that the Mustang is just emitting sound that ultimately bears no meaning, whereas global warming and climate change bear a significant meaning. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Not after you ban gas cars you won't. An electric Lambo that makes no sound will be real fun.

There's already tons of high class european brands switching to electric because the saw it as the future, well before this news. Things like the Mclaren p1, bugatti veyron, and porche spyder show that electric is EASILY as strong of a competetiro as ye olde' v12.

What needs to happen is get the masses away from private or individual transportation and invest more in mass public transportation. I don't even think private or individual robot cars will solve much problems. If you want to drive a car, you can. But the tests and regulations of ownership need to be stricter (I like how Japan does things). I would wager a lot of people simply don't like driving, but they're sort of "forced" to because the lack of alternate means.

Get more vehicles off the road. Changing their power plant doesn't really solve much in my eyes.

2 minutes ago, GamingMemeKing said:

All American has got is plastic Corvettes and Mustang. ;P 

All car manufacturers use plastic in some form.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out." - Carl Sagan.

"If you place a piece of bread somewhere on Earth, and another one on that point's antipodes, well you made yourself an Earth-sandwich." - Michael from Vsauce.

Haha, 

Well tbf, i think electric lambos already exist. 

I remember seeing a video one day where a Lamborghini only had an electric engine underneath. Kind of like a 'fake' lambo. 

It may not go fast, but you could still use it to pick up girls.

Just now, GamingMemeKing said:

Haha, 

Well tbf, i think electric lambos already exist. 

I remember seeing a video one day where a Lamborghini only had an electric engine underneath. Kind of like a 'fake' lambo. 

It may not go fast, but you could still use it to pick up girls.

Nope no electric Lamos