-basically AM4 mobo VRM discussion-

They are 11A to 20A each on the low side.

123-224w maximum wattage @ 25c. not Counting the high side FETs or efficiency problems.

Not a great VRM for anything but a quad core honestly.聽 After the Zen APU's (near 50/50 core/SoC power split) come out though, it will likely find its place.聽 It should be fine for mild R7 or moderate R5 hex overclocks, but that does not appear to be its intended use.

5 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

They are 11A to 20A each on the low side.

123-224w maximum wattage @ 25c. not Counting the high side FETs or efficiency problems.

Not a great VRM for anything but a quad core honestly.聽 After the Zen APU's (near 50/50 core/SoC power split) come out though, it will likely find its place.聽 It should be fine for mild R7 or moderate R5 hex overclocks, but that does not appear to be its intended use.

Well buildzoid was in OC competition with board with the same VCore and had it on LN2

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

You can push a board much further under LN2 because the CPU is so cold that it cools the area around the socket, this bypasses a number of issues present with low end VRMs.

Also, under those conditions you do not care if it will only last 30m or so.聽 You just need a bench or two and validation shots.聽 The same style VRM (B350 Prime) can hit 150c under stress with an R7 @ 4ghz, I don't think anyone believes that is a good situation.

3 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

You can push a board much further under LN2 because the CPU is so cold that it cools the area around the socket, this bypasses a number of issues present with low end VRMs.

Also, under those conditions you do not care if it will only last 30m or so.聽 You just need a bench or two and validation shots.聽 The same style VRM (B350 Prime) can hit 150c under stress with an R7 @ 4ghz, I don't think anyone believes that is a good situation.

Still better than Niko PK616BA and 632BA. . .

Thats where you are wrong.聽 At 25c PK616BA can push 50A per FET and the PK632BA can push 78A, and they can maintain nearly triple the current of the OnSemi parts at 100c.聽 They just are not as efficient, which is less important when you double up the FETs in each phase because you halve the on/active resistance.

Also, the MSI boards have double the chokes/inductors and caps as well.

32 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Thats where you are wrong.聽 At 25c PK616BA can push 50A per FET and the PK632BA can push 78A, and they can maintain nearly triple the current of the OnSemi parts at 100c.聽 They just are not as efficient, which is less important when you double up the FETs in each phase because you halve the on/active resistance.

Also, the MSI boards have double the chokes/inductors and caps as well.

tell me why B350 Carbon VRM ran 30掳C higher during gaming?

Just now, dave_k said:

tell me why B350 Carbon VRM ran 30掳C higher during gaming?

Based on what kind of test?聽 Measured how?

17 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Based on what kind of test?聽 Measured how?

The MTB sensor reported 70掳C on VRM while gaming聽

Never trust a software sensor.聽 They can be in different places on different boards, and that will skew temperatures.聽 They can also be biased or calibrated differently.聽 You need to use probes or an IR thermometer.

27 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Never trust a software sensor.聽 They can be in different places on different boards, and that will skew temperatures.聽 They can also be biased or calibrated differently.聽 You need to use probes or an IR thermometer.

well i have the ir guy and my friend is getting B350 tomahawk next week or so so i'll try to measure

Just now, dave_k said:

well i have the ir guy and my friend is getting B350 tomahawk next week or so so i'll try to measure

B350 Tomahawk is only 4+2, its VRM is half of the B350 Gaming Pro Carbon/Krait which is 8(4x2)+2.聽 So its not apples to apples.

Just now, KarathKasun said:

B350 Tomahawk is only 4+2, its VRM is half of the B350 Gaming Pro Carbon/Krait which is 8(4x2)+2.聽 So its not apples to apples.

But Vcore VRM on both Strix and Tomahawk is 4 phase for VCore

3 minutes ago, dave_k said:

But Vcore VRM on both Strix and Tomahawk is 4 phase for VCore

Not quite true.聽 Strix has doubled low-side FETs.聽 Its somewhere between a 4 phase and fully doubled 4 phase, all its missing compared to the latter is extra caps and chokes.

So it should be better than the Tomahawk but worse than the Gaming Pro Carbon or Krait boards.

When Ryzen APU's finally hit the market, the Strix will have an advantage.聽 It should be able to max out a quad core with no problem and it will be better equipped to handle iGPU overclocking.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

Not quite true.聽 Strix has doubled low-side FETs.聽 Its somewhere between a 4 phase and fully doubled 4 phase, all its missing compared to the latter is extra caps and chokes.

So it should be better than the Tomahawk but worse than the Gaming Pro Carbon or Krait boards.

Well, a pro overclocker who works with Asus hardware (flank3r) said that this VRM should be enough for Ryzen since its very efficient and draws even less power than Krappy Lake

Also for the price of Pro Gaming Carbon (and taking in mind their broken BIOS) i can have Prime X370 Pro with 6+4 NexFET which blows lot of other boards away.

5 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

When Ryzen APU's finally hit the market, the Strix will have an advantage.聽 It should be able to max out a quad core with no problem and it will be better equipped to handle iGPU overclocking.

I very appreciate your help and info, i gain more experience by that

12 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

Strix board has the same amount of capacitors like the carbon. .. 聽

3 hours ago, dave_k said:

Strix board has the same amount of capacitors like the carbon. .. 聽

But the Strix has more SoC VRM phases.聽 The split of caps for Core/SoC is likely weighted more toward the SoC.

On 27. 7. 2017 at 1:57 PM, KarathKasun said:

But the Strix has more SoC VRM phases.聽 The split of caps for Core/SoC is likely weighted more toward the SoC.

Ok, so i watched the crash course and MSI just made stronger 4phase, just as ASRock did, they cant double off the controller, so there are 4 phases with double the components, buildzoid says that Asus麓s VRMs are step up the MSI ones, because they use more efficient and heat tolerant mosfets so you can pull more current than MSI, because when you pull high current through the MSI VRMs they output crazy amount of heat up to 60W.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you are refering to lower end MSI boards being worse than the Asuses as they use 3+2 designs if i recall correctly.
In his crash course video, buildzoid聽clearly marks聽the MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon to be the best B350 board VRM wise.

Also you're missing the fact that the B350 variant pro carbon board has the same doubled 4+2 design as the much more expensive X370 one.
Although the pro carbon is still technically the same 4phase design as the Strix, the doubling gives it twice the components altogether to supply聽current on.

Priced nearly the same, the MSI board might be a better choice regarding power delivery.
However, taking other factors into account like aesthetics, software, BIOS, the Strix holds on for its own. Im聽also in hesitation between the two of them...

9 minutes ago, bowman said:

I think you are refering to lower end MSI boards being worse than the Asuses as they use 3+2 designs if i recall correctly.
In his crash course video, buildzoid聽clearly marks聽the MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon to be the best B350 board VRM wise.

Also you're missing the fact that the B350 variant pro carbon board has the same doubled 4+2 design as the much more expensive X370 one.
Although the pro carbon is still technically the same 4phase design as the Strix, the doubling gives it twice the components altogether to supply聽current on.

Priced nearly the same, the MSI board might be a better choice regarding power delivery.
However, taking other factors into account like aesthetics, software, BIOS, the Strix holds on for its own. Im聽also in hesitation between the two of them...

I have the b350 gaming pro carbon running 3.9ghz on my R5 1600 and 1.4v under prime 95 the vrm doesn't even go past 56c. I do have decent case cooling, but I have no need to touch anything like LLC cause it is so solid on power delivery cpu only hits about 58c as well

22 minutes ago, bowman said:

Asus is better than msi 3+2 4+2 and gbt 4+3. MSI "4"+2 is better and asrock is somewhere the same as Asus

11 minutes ago, rijzen said:

I have the b350 gaming pro carbon running 3.9ghz on my R5 1600 and 1.4v under prime 95 the vrm doesn't even go past 56c. I do have decent case cooling, but I have no need to touch anything like LLC cause it is so solid on power delivery cpu only hits about 58c as well

only way to be sure about temps is to point an ir thermometer at the naked vrm. other sensors arent good

15 minutes ago, dave_k said:

only way to be sure about temps is to point an ir thermometer at the naked vrm. other sensors arent good

That is IR temps, I used my friends when I got it setup to find out what they were, and even after an hour you can still put your fingers on the beefy heatsinks and not burn yourself

Edit: and vrm temps measured from front and back of board.

Edited by rijzen
Forgot some stuff

The asrocks in x370 flavor run much cooler though, like 33c at the back but that's a true 8+4 I think, I honestly don't remember, just poured through tons of data when deciding on my board. The MSI 4+2 on the carbon is a very large 4+2 using alot more physical components than the others. Not sure what Asus uses but I tried the x370 prime and it was a shit show of compatibility issues for me personally. But I would assume the strix outpaces the prime line anyways