Need to know if my 980 Strix is DEAD

I'm not sure what's happening here so I thought on asking for professional help. Here is the Problem:

Around 9 months ago my new GTX1070 arrived and I uninstalled from my rig this 980 Strix. It was working perfectly. I gamed on it the day before... Time to upgrade. Unistall, get it into the antistatic bag and into it's box, that's all.

It sitted on my shelf for 9 months.

Now I was thinking on selling it, so I installed the card turn my system on, the BIOS comes out, no problems, then the windows logo and... nothing, it blacks out, when windows takes over the card, it ceases to function. I take a look into windows using the display output in my MB and the Device manager says it stopped the graphics card because of a problem.

So it's a driver conflict, make a clean installation, remove the card, clean any trace of drivers, remove everything NVidia related and graphics card related. Install the card, turn on the PC and it's the same... when the BIOS hands over to the Windows the card stops working. Maybe the 980 BIOS itself is the problem but I haven't tested that yet.

Is this GTX980 Strix DEAD? could it have died from sadness sitting on my shelf, there are no static sources around, there is no extreme humidity or high temperatures.

my specs:

ASUS B85 PRO Gamer

i5 4460

Kraken x61

16GB XPG DDR3 1600MHz

EVGA NEX750b

SSD 240 ADATA

HDD 3TB and 2TB Seagate

GTX1070 Strix (removed to test the 980)

I mostly use my PC to work with video, edit on sony vegas, Capture video with elgato hardware and sometimes play some games on 1440p 60fps no problems.

I'm not and expert on PCs but I can install hardware (most of the time) and this is making me mad

I doubt it's dead. Was proper power supplied? Have you used DDU to clean drivers? I know you said you cleaned the drivers, but some programs don't work very well. 

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I doubt it's dead. Was proper power supplied? Have you used DDU to clean drivers? I know you said you cleaned the drivers, but some programs don't work very well. 

I tried the classic way, thinking something was wrong I used DDU to clean everything, I tried 3 different times

The power consumption of this system with the 980 is around 500W on Load and the power supply is enough the NEX750b

I had trouble to get the 1070 to work after installing the 980 (now my rig is working fine with the 1070 and the same NEX750b)

20 minutes ago, X09 said:

I tried the classic way, thinking something was wrong I used DDU to clean everything, I tried 3 different times

The power consumption of this system with the 980 is around 500W on Load and the power supply is enough the NEX750b

I had trouble to get the 1070 to work after installing the 980 (now my rig is working fine with the 1070 and the same NEX750b)

did the strix have both 6 and 8 pin power supplied???

3 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

did the strix have both 6 and 8 pin power supplied???

yes, I thought of something like that, but the card has leds to indicate good conection status and ok power, both lights were on properly. The Power Supply is working properly also

goto device manager and tell install driver but choose browse

goto gpucard folder and select ok

it should scan and install any dll it finds

4 hours ago, bcguru9384 said:

goto device manager and tell install driver but choose browse

goto gpucard folder and select ok

it should scan and install any dll it finds

that's something I haven't tried yet, thanx I can use whatever idea you throw at me right now

5 minutes ago, X09 said:

that's something I haven't tried yet, thanx I can use whatever idea you throw at me right now

Maybe check the 'Gold Fingers' (PCIE Insert) for the GTX980.... for dirty somethings.... or a small clump of dust.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

16 hours ago, Goildzy said:

when uninstalling pre drivers try looking in ur registry for left overs

I used DDU which is supposed to clean registry entries about the GPU, but additional registry cleaning may be needed thanks for the advice