iRobot wants to sell your floor plan data to Amazon, Apple or Facebook

I wonder if @LinusTech is still using his iRobot Roomba that he reviewed back in February 2015 or if he'll continue using his.

Source: The Next Web

Roomba was the futuristic cleaning bot each of our 12-year-old selves once dreamed of. Today it’s a commodity in a space full of cheaper and (arguably) just-as-good competitors. Luckily for iRobot (Roomba’s parent company), its future is less about the dirt on your floor, and more about the dirt it can sell to Amazon, Apple, and Google.

According to a report from Reuters, iRobot plans to begin collecting (and selling) floor plans for its users’ homes. The data collected would detail the distances between furnishings, total floorspace of the dwelling, and could presumably track how often it empties the canister based on your relative floorspace (an indicator of whether you’re dirtier or cleaner than other households of the same size).

Purchasing iRobot seems to make more sense than buying its mapping data, at least for the big three. But either way the deal goes down, assuming it actually does, the data is just another piece in a puzzle that’s painting a scarily-accurate picture of our lives.

This is a blatant invasion of privacy. I mean tracking your floor plan and giving off the data to other companies to target you ads? 

And the security implications are huge.

Amazon could, for example, use the data to better target your homepage visits or search results. Cleaner houses, for instance, could get more recommendations for cleaning tools and supplies — since dirty households probably aren’t all that interested. Or, it could completely change which products are marketed to people of different income brackets. Home size as it relates to the median in your area is a direct correlation of wealth, in a lot of cases.

Or there’s Facebook, who could add another notch in its belt by giving advertisers even more targeting options. Using map data to shore up income estimates on each user — or the number of people living in the same household — offers a myriad of new options for advertisers to attract upper-middle class parents living in large homes in a suburb of Los Angeles, for example.

I get why Apple or Amazon would be interested with a house floor plan. Apple has their HomeKit API for home automation like telling the Roomba to turn itself on during the weekends to clean rooms and charge itself automatically. With Amazon it's kinda obvious what they would do with it, sell you ads about household cleaning chemicals perhaps or others. But Facebook? Then knowing your floor plan is kinda creepy. I can't really comment on the Roomba itself since I don't own one and I'm perfectly fine with just a 600W vacuum cleaner or even just a broom for under the bed cleaning.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I don't really see why knowing the floor plan of a house is a big deal when you can get the records from your local office.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Son of a ... Those crazy tinfoil hat people were right!

Details separate people.

10 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I don't really see why knowing the floor plan of a house is a big deal when you can get the records from your local office.

because "Muh Privacy"

pretty much everything else is being tracked whether you know it or not. iRobot at least have to common courtesy to inform people that they are planning it

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

next they'll be putting gps chips in brooms.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

13 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Or trackers in our bodys during surgery 

Oh for goodness sake, take all my data and put a GPS on me because i like tech and advancements.

The future is tailoring everything to each individual person, deal with it, live with it, don't like it?

NO PROBLEM, GO LIVE IN THE FOREST LIKE WILD ANIMALS OR THE HIPPIES FOR ALL WE CARE

4 minutes ago, VitalTech said:

Or trackers in our bodys during surgery 

Shit, I just had my knee operated on.  I wonder if they know I'm talking to you? :(

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

21 minutes ago, mr moose said:

GPS doesn't work indoors. It needs a WiFi/cellular modem to do location services while indoors.

Also, I don't think adding location services to something as simple as a broom would make it clean better but it can show which part of the house is not yet cleaned.

58 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

Oh for goodness sake, take all my data and put a GPS on me because i like tech and advancements.

The future is tailoring everything to each individual person, deal with it, live with it, don't like it?

NO PROBLEM, GO LIVE IN THE FOREST LIKE WILD ANIMALS OR THE HIPPIES FOR ALL WE CARE

They always say it'll "provide a more personalised individual experience " but yet all the ads I get served are crap and irrelevant, not to mention the "reccommended articles ".

All in all you are trusting hundreds of companies not to sell your data to false third parties and not use awful encryption and default passwords.

Theoretically iRobot could ask for images "to improve their cleaning services".

would you be ok with that?

2 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

I think what they plan to collect is your floor plan with all your furniture. So advertisers can, for example push a target ad to you about a sofa that will actually fit in your home, so you're more likely to be interested. 

Have we mentioned IoT is evil and an utter OpSec disaster for every end-user? Because IoT is evil in the home-space and completely compromises your OpSec online while making you a huge target for everyone.

3 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

because "Muh Privacy"

pretty much everything else is being tracked whether you know it or not. iRobot at least have to common courtesy to inform people that they are planning it

it always strikes me how people jump on the privacy bandwagon and yet still youse google and facebook.......some of the worst companies out there for selling data.

1 hour ago, ScratchCat said:

They always say it'll "provide a more personalised individual experience " but yet all the ads I get served are crap and irrelevant, not to mention the "reccommended articles ".

All in all you are trusting hundreds of companies not to sell your data to false third parties and not use awful encryption and default passwords.

Theoretically iRobot could ask for images "to improve their cleaning services".

would you be ok with that?

1 id worry more about eh government than big companies

2 but there not so...........

i stopped caring about things like this years ago.......id rather see ads tailored to me than some random shit i dont care about

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

The answer is simple, don't buy any appliance that connects to the internet when there is no need.  Find the antennae and cut it off.

EDIT: duckduckgo could make a killing if it wants to get into the appliance market.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

The answer is simple, don't buy any appliance that connects to the internet when there is no need.  Find the antennae and cut it off.

My computer is actually an appliance and so is my smartphone. 

Should I not connect them to the internet? Just saying, semantics matter. 

IMG_5648.PNG

Edited by hey_yo_

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

IMG_5648.PNG.97aa5fca96682b003b4c830cf86da08f.PNG

42 minutes ago, mr moose said:

There is a need for you phone or PC to connect, not relevant. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

20 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Why do these things even need internet access? 

Plenty of perfectly normal reasons like:

Firmware updates.

Remote communication with the cloud for remote control.

To sell your data and bring about Skynet.

Remote assistance and push notifications to your phone.

Burn down freedom and the human race.

All reasons that shouldn't concern anybody. Now go about your day :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On one hand, ew. 

On the other hand, maybe this will drive the price of robo vacuums down so I can actually buy one.

41 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

IMG_5648.PNG.97aa5fca96682b003b4c830cf86da08f.PNG

Yes, semantics do matter a lot. Better re-read my post. 

2 minutes ago, SomeCallMeJo said:

Ok so I own a roomba, should I be worried or not? 

No, not at the moment.

2 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Your floor plans are already public record. Why is this any sort of concern.

Well I live in a condo, so all the top floors all have the same layout. It isn't connected to the internet anyway so I'm not worried at all. ?

1 hour ago, HarryNyquist said:

maybe this will drive the price of robo vacuums down so I can actually buy one.

oh-wait-youre-serious-let-me-laugh-even-

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>