Why is 4K * 16 = 16K and not 64K?

Merkey
10 hours ago, Merkey said:

Hi, so after linus posted a video of 16K desk pc, I wondered why 16 4K monitors arent 64K in total. Again earlier, he did 8K gaming, which was 4 * 4K monitors (so shouldn't it be 16K)? Am I just stupid or is it really labeled wrong?

Because 16 is 4x4, so you need 4 monitors in each direction. If they had used the new Dell 8k monitor, it would have been 2x2 because 16 is 8x2.

13 hours ago, Merkey said:

Hi, so after linus posted a video of 16K desk pc, I wondered why 16 4K monitors arent 64K in total. Again earlier, he did 8K gaming, which was 4 * 4K monitors (so shouldn't it be 16K)? Am I just stupid or is it really labeled wrong?

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/691408-2k-does-not-mean-2560×1440/

5 hours ago, DXMember said:

nah, HD is pretty strictly defined as 1280 x 720, FHD is pretty strictly defined as 1920 x 1080, and QHD which stands for Quad-HD also comes up as a quadrupled HD which becomes 2560 x 1440 and the UHD which is actually 3840 x 2160 (and has nothing to do with 4K which refers to 4096 x 2160)

The letters mean everything:

Hide contents

QmRS2De.png

you don't have much experience with consumer law or marketing then I guess. Even in Australia where consumer law is probably the best in the world (IMHO), letters get thrown around like they are everything but mean very little.  I can argue in court that in my marketing material "UHD" has a different meaning than yours, you always need to look for the fine print..  But you can't argue that stating a resolute number is anything but that number.   if the box says resolution = 1080p then that screen has to have a resolution on one of its sides or in total of that resolution.  If it says UHD,  then they only have to give a reasonable explanation of what UHD means in their material, it doesn;t even have to relate to the screen. There is no law regarding the use of those letters, there are not copyrights or trademarks on those letters. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

*looks up from her job in the film industry, where she and everyone else sloppily uses '4K' to refer to refer to a range of resolutions that are roughly in the range of each other and smiles while seeing nerds argue over 'True 4K' to convince each other that they are 'knowledgable'*

fite me

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

you don't have much experience with consumer law or marketing then I guess. Even in Australia where consumer law is probably the best in the world (IMHO), letters get thrown around like they are everything but mean very little.  I can argue in court that in my marketing material "UHD" has a different meaning than yours, you always need to look for the fine print..  But you can't argue that stating a resolute number is anything but that number.   if the box says resolution = 1080p then that screen has to have a resolution on one of its sides or in total of that resolution.  If it says UHD,  then they only have to give a reasonable explanation of what UHD means in their material, it doesn;t even have to relate to the screen. There is no law regarding the use of those letters, there are not copyrights or trademarks on those letters. 

u'd have to come up with a great story to justify the reason why you put some willy nilly letters that reference an actual TV standart that's been around for almost 15 years

you can't slap UHD on a screen for the same reason you can't say that a Volkswagen does 95g CO2 per 100km....

oh wait...
3L9LzuL.jpg

and you can't put TDi on a car if it's not powered by a Turbocharged Direct injection turbodiesel engine

would you be okay buying a 1080p monitor and receiving a 1440 x 1080 screen?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

37 minutes ago, DXMember said:

u'd have to come up with a great story to justify the reason why you put some willy nilly letters that reference an actual TV standart that's been around for almost 15 years

you can't slap UHD on a screen for the same reason you can't say that a Volkswagen does 95g CO2 per 100km....

Hide contents

oh wait...

3L9LzuL.jpg

As I said, UHD is not a trademark or logo, you can put whatever letters you want on a package.  VW is a trademark.  You do know the difference between three letters and a trademark yes? I can put UHD on a box and call it ultra honest display in the fine print.  Not a legal thing you can do about it.

Businesses all over the world sell products that are not up to the standards insinuated on the box.   Free range eggs is a good example, along with organic and pesticide free BS.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

As I said, UHD is not a trademark or logo, you can put whatever letters you want on a package.  VW is a trademark.  You do know the difference between three letters and a trademark yes? I can put UHD on a box and call it ultra honest display in the fine print.  Not a legal thing you can do about it.

Businesses all over the world sell products that are not up to the standards insinuated on the box.   Free range eggs is a good example, along with organic and pesticide free BS.

by that logic - what's preventing me to put 1080p and call it "ten eighty pascal" - as in it's compatible with GTX 1080, or maybe "1080 power" as in this display consumes 1080W of power or maybe "1080 puppies" - as in this display was made with love and 1080 puppies have peed on it from happines

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

1 hour ago, DXMember said:

by that logic - what's preventing me to put 1080p and call it "ten eighty pascal" - as in it's compatible with GTX 1080, or maybe "1080 power" as in this display consumes 1080W of power or maybe "1080 puppies" - as in this display was made with love and 1080 puppies have peed on it from happines

Lets compare those two then:

1080p resolution (power).    How is 1080 watts of power related to resolution?  can't be legitimately explained so no legal standing.

1080p resolution (pascal).  you'd have to prove there was something in this display that makes it specifically compatible that any other 1080p branded tv would otherwise not be.              therefore no legal standing.

no the only argument for labeling something with a resolution of "1080p resolution" is that it actually has a resolution of 1080 pixels.

Not even going to address puppies.  This is a cat-centric forum, dogs need not apply.

How about UHD:

UHD Resolution.   what is ultra honest display resolution?  it is the resolution of the input signal being reproduced honestly on the screen.  this = legal even if it is morally corrupt.

EDIT: I really feel like I have to add this,  I don't actually expect to see a real world example of this in shops, maybe online like a Chinese fleabay store at the worst, but because 4k panels are so easy to manufacture there is no need to re-brand a lower res and pass it off as something better.   The point I am trying to make is one of legalities and trademark law.  And a way to make it easier for consumers to know exactly what they are buying without having to look for fine print.

9 hours ago, mr moose said:

1080p resolution (pascal).  you'd have to prove there was something in this display that makes it specifically compatible that any other 1080p branded tv would otherwise not be.              therefore no legal standing.

UHD Resolution.   what is ultra honest display resolution?  it is the resolution of the input signal being reproduced honestly on the screen.  this = legal

u w0t m8?

Pls stop break me brain.

This is beyond ridiculous.

how are you going to "prove there was something in this display that makes it specifically honest that any other UHD branded tv"?

And when you put UHD on the TV, did you honestly (pardon the pun) believe that this is what customers are going to deduce from it?

Either way I'm pretty sure there's a law and an institution (like FCC) behind it that will not let you use "UHD" or "1080p" on your products that do not comply with the standart, just the same way as you can't use "broadband connection" for a 56k dial up.

4 hours ago, DXMember said:

u w0t m8?

Pls stop break me brain.

This is beyond ridiculous.

how are you going to "prove there was something in this display that makes it specifically honest that any other UHD branded tv"?

And when you put UHD on the TV, did you honestly (pardon the pun) believe that this is what customers are going to deduce from it?

Either way I'm pretty sure there's a law and an institution (like FCC) behind it that will not let you use "UHD" or "1080p" on your products that do not comply with the standart, just the same way as you can't use "broadband connection" for a 56k dial up.

Because you are trying to insinuate that defined numbers can have other meanings. When you say 1080p resolution.  then that is an absolute number that relates to the resolution of the screen, in order to argue it might relate to anything else means you have to prove so.  Proving that it only refers to being compatible with another product that bares the 1080 number is not enough. 

So again, you are confusing a trademark with three letters.  I'm sorry you don't understand how consumer law works in most countries. 

Let me break it down one more time:

You can't put this logo on a box unless it meets the resolutions requirements.

Logo-UHD-Black-FInal.jpg

You can put this set of letters on your box regardless, so long as you have fine print explaining what UHD means in terms of the enclosed product. 

UHD-Ultra-High-Definition-4K-8K-DIB-Audi

That is how marketing works, that is why there is a trademark system and why it is called 4K and DCI4K and not just UHD.

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Because you are trying to insinuate that defined numbers can have other meanings. When you say 1080p resolution.  then that is an absolute number that relates to the resolution of the screen

1440 x 1080 - do you accept it as a 1080p?

10 minutes ago, mr moose said:

You can put this set of letters on your box regardless, so long as you have fine print explaining what UHD means in terms of the enclosed product. 

UHD-Ultra-High-Definition-4K-8K-DIB-Audi

I have no clue where you got that black and white logo from,

but if you reverse search on the black and gold image that's literally what they use for

defined and approved by the

International Telecommunication Union (ITU).[ 

also

The Consumer Electronics Association announced on October 17, 2012, that "Ultra High Definition", or "Ultra HD", would be used for displays that have an aspect ratio of 16:9 or wider and at least one digital input capable of carrying and presenting native video at a minimum resolution of 3840×2160 pixels

and THREADRIPPER HYPE!!!!

39 minutes ago, DXMember said:

1440 x 1080 - do you accept it as a 1080p?

yep.   Not sure what your point is.

33 minutes ago, DXMember said:

I have no clue where you got that black and white logo from,

but if you reverse search on the black and gold image that's literally what they use for

also

and THREADRIPPER HYPE!!!!

http://www.digitaleurope.org/Services/High-Definition-Logos/UHD

it's a trademarked logo that requires you to agree to specific terms about your product before you can use it. Unlike just using the letters UHD, which can be defined as just about anything the manufacturer wants.  Just becasue dibAustralia use it to mean 4K, doesn't mean it has a legal obligation to.  Their logo is not tied to a contractual definition outside their company.

Not sure why you don't understand this simple distinction.

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

yep.   Not sure what your point is.

okay, so for your all the resolutions - 1440x1080, 1600x1080 and 1920x1080 are  all accepted as 1080p.

When you buy a product that says it's 1080p, how do you know what you're buying?

if you go around and ask people what do they think UHD means in regards to display, do you expect that the majority will respond with "Honest Display"? or would you be more inclined to believe that most people will agree upon "3840x2160"?

And with this knowledge in mind, when you put "Ultra Honest Display" on a monitor, when you go around and ask the same people, do you think they will agree that you had ill intent and were trying to trick people into thinking your monitor was "3840x2160"? - If your answer is yes, then you broke consumer laws in most of the capitalist world, regardless of if you had the fine-print or not - you can't fine-print every word intentionally misleading customers, that's anti-consumerism. On the other hand if your answer is no, and you still believe that stating 1080p is different from stating FHD then you're just delusional.

And have you noticed that DigitalEurope.org still calls it UHD? Maybe there's a reason? Maybe that's the actual name of the spec? OMG...

Why do you not acknowledge common resolutions?

Computer and handheld screens

Designation

Width

(px)

Height

Quarter Quarter VGA (QQVGA)

Half QVGA (HQVGA)

Quarter VGA (QVGA)

Wide QVGA (WQVGA)

Wide QVGA (WQVGA)

WQVGA*

Quarter SVGA (qSVGA)

HVGA

HVGA

Enhanced Graphics Adapter (EGA)

Video Graphics Array (VGA)

Wide VGA (WVGA)

Wide VGA (WGA)

Wide PAL (W-PAL)

FWVGA

Super VGA (SVGA)

Quarter FHD (qHD)

Wide SVGA (WSVGA)

Double VGA (DVGA)

Extended Graphics Array (XGA)

Wide XGA (WXGA-H)

Wide XGA (WXGA)

XGA+

Wide XGA (WXGA)

Super XGA "Minus" (SXGA−)

Wide SXGA (WSXGA)

Wide XGA+ (WXGA+)

Super XGA (SXGA)

HD+

Super XGA Plus (SXGA+)

Wide SXGA+ (WSXGA+)

Ultra XGA (UXGA)

Full HD (FHD)

Wide UXGA (WUXGA)

Full HD Plus (FHD+)

QWXGA

CWSXGA

Tesselar XGA (TXGA)

Quad XGA (QXGA)

Quad HD (QHD)

Wide QXGA (WQXGA)

Quad SXGA (QSXGA)

Quad SXGA+ (QSXGA+)

Wide QXGA+ (WQXGA+)

Wide QSXGA (WQSXGA)

Quad UXGA (QUXGA)

Ultra-Wide QHD

Ultra-Wide 4K (UW4K)

4K Ultra HD 1 (4K UHD-1)

Wide QUXGA (WQUXGA)

DCI 4K (DCI 4K)

Ultra-Wide 5K (UW5K)

Hex XGA (HXGA)

Wide HXGA (WHXGA)

Hex SXGA (HSXGA)

Wide HSXGA (WHSXGA)

Hex UXGA (HUXGA)

8K Ultra HD 2 (8K UHD-2)

Wide HUXGA (WHUXGA)

Ultra-Wide 10K (UW10K)

1 minute ago, DXMember said:

okay, so for your all the resolutions - 1440x1080, 1600x1080 and 1920x1080 are  all accepted as 1080p.

When you buy a product that says it's 1080p, how do you know what you're buying?

if you go around and ask people what do they think UHD means in regards to display, do you expect that the majority will respond with "Honest Display"? or would you be more inclined to believe that most people will agree upon "3840x2160"?

And with this knowledge in mind, when you put "Ultra Honest Display" on a monitor, when you go around and ask the same people, do you think they will agree that you had ill intent and were trying to trick people into thinking your monitor was "3840x2160"? - If your answer is yes, then you broke consumer laws in most of the capitalist world, regardless of if you had the fine-print or not - you can't fine-print every word intentionally misleading customers, that's anti-consumerism. On the other hand if your answer is no, and you still believe that stating 1080p is different from stating FHD then you're just delusional.

And have you noticed that DigitalEurope.org still calls it UHD? Maybe there's a reason? Maybe that's the actual name of the spec? OMG...

Why do you not acknowledge common resolutions?

Computer and handheld screens
Designation Usage W (px) H SAR DAR PAR Pixels
Quarter Quarter VGA (QQVGA)   160 × 120 1.3333333333333 !4:3 4:3 1:1 7004192000000000000♠19,200
Half QVGA (HQVGA) Nintendo Game Boy Advance 240 × 160 1.5 !3:2 3:2 1:1 7004384000000000000♠38,400
Quarter VGA (QVGA) Mega Drive, Nintendo 3DS (lower screen) 320 × 240 1.3333333333333 !4:3 4:3 1:1 7004768000000000000♠76,800
Wide QVGA (WQVGA) common on Windows Mobile 6 handsets 400 × 240 1.6666666666667 !5:3 5:3 1:1 7004960000000000000♠96,000
Wide QVGA (WQVGA) Apple iPod Nano 7G 432 × 240 1.8 !9:5 9:5 1:1 7005103680000000000♠103,680
WQVGA* variant used commonly for portable DVD players, digital photo frames, GPS receivers and devices such as the Kenwood DNX-5120 and Glospace SGK-70; often marketed as "16:9" 480 × 234 2.0512820512821 !80:39 16:9 0.866 7005112320000000000♠112,320
Quarter SVGA (qSVGA) selectable in some PC shooters 400 × 300 1.3333333333333 !4:3 4:3 1:1 7005120000000000000♠120,000
HVGA Handheld PC 640 × 240 2.6666666666667 !8:3 8:3 1:1 7005153600000000000♠153,600
HVGA Palm Tungsten T3, Apple iPhone, Palm (PDA) HiRES+ 480 × 320 1.5 !3:2 3:2 1:1 7005153600000000000♠153,600
Enhanced Graphics Adapter (EGA)   640 × 350 1.8285714285714 !64:35 4:3 0.729 7005224000000000000♠224,000
Video Graphics Array (VGA) MCGA (in monochome), Sun-1 color 640 × 480 1.3333333333333 !4:3 4:3 1:1 7005307200000000000♠307,200
Wide VGA (WVGA)   768 × 480 1.6 !8:5 8:5 1:1 7005368640000000000♠368,640
Wide VGA (WGA) List of mobile phones with WVGA display 800 × 480 1.6666666666667 !5:3 5:3 1:1 7005384000000000000♠384,000
Wide PAL (W-PAL)   848 × 480 1.7666666666667 !53:30 16:9 1.006 7005407040000000000♠407,040
FWVGA List of mobile phones with FWVGA display 854 × 480 1.7791666666667 !427:240 16:9 0.999 7005409920000000000♠409,920
Super VGA (SVGA)   800 × 600 1.3333333333333 !4:3 4:3 1:1 7005480000000000000♠480,000
Quarter FHD (qHD) AACS ICT, HRHD, Motorola Atrix 4G, Sony XEL-1[7][unreliable source?] 960 × 540 1.7777777777778 !16:9 16:9 1:1 7005518400000000000♠518,400
Wide SVGA (WSVGA)   1024 × 600 1.7066666666667 !128:75 16:9 1.041 7005614400000000000♠614,400
Double VGA (DVGA) Apple iPhone 4S,[9][unreliable source?][10] 4th Generation iPod Touch[11] 960 × 640 1.5 !3:2 3:2 1:1 7005614400000000000♠614,400
Extended Graphics Array (XGA) Common on 14″/15″ TFT's and the Apple iPad 1024 × 768 1.3333333333333 !4:3 4:3 1:1 7005786432000000000♠786,432
Wide XGA (WXGA-H) minimum, 720p HDTV 1280 × 720 1.7777777777778 !16:9 16:9 1:1 7005921600000000000♠921,600
Wide XGA (WXGA) average, BrightView 1280 × 768 1.6666666666667 !5:3 5:3 1:1 7005983040000000000♠983,040
XGA+ Apple XGA[note 2] 1152 × 864 1.3333333333333 !4:3 4:3 1:1 7005995328000000000♠995,328
Wide XGA (WXGA) maximum 1280 × 800 1.6 !8:5 8:5 1:1 7006102400000000000♠1,024,000
Super XGA "Minus" (SXGA−)   1280 × 960 1.3333333333333 !4:3 4:3 1:1 7006122880000000000♠1,228,800
Wide SXGA (WSXGA)   1440 × 900 1.6 !8:5 8:5 1:1 7006129600000000000♠1,296,000
Wide XGA+ (WXGA+)   1440 × 900 1.6 !8:5 8:5 1:1 7006129600000000000♠1,296,000
Super XGA (SXGA)   1280 × 1024 1.25 !5:4 5:4 1:1 7006131072000000000♠1,310,720
HD+ 900p 1600 × 900 1.7777777777778 !16:9 16:9 1:1 7006144000000000000♠1,440,000
Super XGA Plus (SXGA+)   1400 × 1050 1.3333333333333 !4:3 4:3 1:1 7006147000000000000♠1,470,000
Wide SXGA+ (WSXGA+)   1680 × 1050 1.6 !8:5 8:5 1:1 7006176400000000000♠1,764,000
Ultra XGA (UXGA)   1600 × 1200 1.3333333333333 !4:3 4:3 1:1 7006192000000000000♠1,920,000
Full HD (FHD) 1080 HDTV (1080i, 1080p) 1920 × 1080 1.7777777777778 !16:9 16:9 1:1 7006207360000000000♠2,073,600
Wide UXGA (WUXGA)   1920 × 1200 1.6 !8:5 8:5 1:1 7006230400000000000♠2,304,000
Full HD Plus (FHD+) Microsoft Surface 3 1920 × 1280 1.5 !3:2 3:2 1:1 7006245760000000000♠2,457,600
QWXGA   2048 × 1152 1.7777777777778 !16:9 16:9 1:1 7006235929600000000♠2,359,296
CWSXGA NEC CRV43,[12] Ostendo CRVD,[13]Alienware Curved Display[14][15] 2880 × 900 3.2 !16:5 16:5 1:1 7006259200000000000♠2,592,000
Tesselar XGA (TXGA)   1920 × 1400 1.3714285714286 !48:35 7:5 1.021 7006268800000000000♠2,688,000
Quad XGA (QXGA) iPad (3rd Generation) 2048 × 1536 1.3333333333333 !4:3 4:3 1:1 7006314572800000000♠3,145,728
Quad HD (QHD) Dell UltraSharp U2711, Dell XPS One 27, Apple iMac 2560 × 1440 1.7777777777778 !16:9 16:9 1:1 7006368640000000000♠3,686,400
Wide QXGA (WQXGA) Apple Cinema HD 30, Dell Ultrasharp U3011, Dell 3007WFP, Dell 3008WFP, Gateway XHD3000, Samsung 305T, HP LP3065, HP ZR30W, Nexus 10 2560 × 1600 1.6 !8:5 8:5 1:1 7006409600000000000♠4,096,000
Quad SXGA (QSXGA)   2560 × 2048 1.25 !5:4 5:4 1:1 7006524288000000000♠5,242,880
Quad SXGA+ (QSXGA+)   2800 × 2100 1.3333333333333 !4:3 4:3 1:1 7006588000000000000♠5,880,000
Wide QXGA+ (WQXGA+) HP Envy TouchSmart 14, Fujitsu Lifebook UH90/L, Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro 3200 × 1800 1.7777777777778 !16:9 16:9 1:1 7006576000000000000♠5,760,000
Wide QSXGA (WQSXGA)   3200 × 2048 1.5625 !25:16 25:16 1:1 7006655360000000000♠6,553,600
Quad UXGA (QUXGA)   3200 × 2400 1.3333333333333 !4:3 4:3 1:1 7006768000000000000♠7,680,000
Ultra-Wide QHD LG and Dell UltraWide monitors 3440 × 1440 2.3888888888889 !43:18 21:9 0.992 7006495360000000000♠4,953,600
Ultra-Wide 4K (UW4K)   3840 × 1600 2.4 !2.35:1 2.35:1 0.996 7006614400000000000♠6,144,000
4K Ultra HD 1 (4K UHD-1) 2160p, 4000-lines UHDTV (4K UHD) 3840 × 2160 1.7777777777778 !16:9 16:9 1:1 7006829440000000000♠8,294,400
Wide QUXGA (WQUXGA) IBM T221 3840 × 2400 1.6 !8:5 8:5 1:1 7006921600000000000♠9,216,000
DCI 4K (DCI 4K)   4096 × 2160 1.8962962962963 !256:135 16:9 0.937 7006884736000000000♠8,847,360
Ultra-Wide 5K (UW5K) 21:9 aspect ratio TVs 5120 × 2160 2.3703703703704 !21:9 21:9 1:1 7007110592000000000♠11,059,200
Hex XGA (HXGA)   4096 × 3072 1.3333333333333 !4:3 4:3 1:1 7007125829120000000♠12,582,912
5K Dell UP2715K, Apple 27" iMac 5K Retina Display 5120 × 2880 1.7777777777778 !16:9 16:9 1:1 7007147456000000000♠14,745,600
Wide HXGA (WHXGA)   5120 × 3200 1.6 !8:5 8:5 1:1 7007163840000000000♠16,384,000
Hex SXGA (HSXGA)   5120 × 4096 1.25 !5:4 5:4 1:1 7007209715200000000♠20,971,520
Wide HSXGA (WHSXGA)   6400 × 4096 1.5625 !25:16 25:16 1:1 7007262144000000000♠26,214,400
Hex UXGA (HUXGA)   6400 × 4800 1.3333333333333 !4:3 4:3 1:1 7007307200000000000♠30,720,000
8K Ultra HD 2 (8K UHD-2) 4320p, 8000-lines UHDTV (8K UHD) 7680 × 4320 1.7777777777778 !16:9 16:9 1:1 7007331776000000000♠33,177,600
Wide HUXGA (WHUXGA)   7680 × 4800 1.6 !8:5 8:5 1:1 7007368640000000000♠36,864,000
Ultra-Wide 10K (UW10K)   10240 × 4320 2.3703703703704 !21:9 21:9 1:1 7007442368000000000♠44,236,800

well done, you totally missed the point.  I am not going to repeat myself becasue clearly you don't understand.

Feel free to keep posting stuff though,  I am sure that there a few people who are enjoying reading it.

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Feel free to keep posting stuff though,  I am sure that there a few people who are enjoying reading it.

I thought you enjoyed reading it, that was the only reason I kept it going :(

Yea its kinda steange. The K bit is usually the pixel dimension from left to right. The p bit is from top to bottom afaik. Assuming all dimensions i list below are in 16/9 format:

1080p = 1920x1080

1440p = 2560x1440p

4k = 2160p = 3840x2160 

are usually the most common things i hear about monitors usually talk . Putting ultrawide as a niche things aside since pricewise isnt as cheap compared to most standard 16/9! Panels

funny why they dont use 2k and 2.5k for the smaller resolutions... maybe one n twos dont sound nice with k? Idk

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

But to answer ur question its actually more of 3840x4 = 15360 pixels but rounded to 16k for simplicity reasons

the k specifies the thousand of pixels horizontally* Pretty much. Hence why not 64k but 16k.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers