Worth buying 1866MHz or just 1600MHz?

I am planning on buying new RAM as the sticks I have now are differant sizes and differant ages. My two old 2GB sticks cannot handle any overclocking so when I try to overclock they shut down and my other two 4GB sticks carry it all. What is the differance between 1600MHz and 1866MHz? I'm only gaming and maybe editing as well as rendering videos from time to time.

System specs:

i7 3770k 3.9GHz

GTX 660Ti (slightly memoryclocked)

2x 2GB old RAM

2x 4GB "new" RAM

For rendering videos IT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE. i can tell you that straight up. Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, and Adobe After Effects will all benefit. I can confirm this with my own personal testing.

if you're not rendering videos all the time i think 1600Mhz is just fine. Because appart from videos you won't see the difference

I7 4770K - @4.5Ghz  |  Be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3  | Asus Maximus VII Ranger Z97  | Kingston Genesis 8GB | Be quiet Power Zone 750w   | Sapphire R9 Fury X |  Sandisk SSD 120Go + WD Green 1TB 7200 rpm | Nzxt Phantom 410

If you want to overclock I would buy the 1866MHz sticks.

Because they are validated to run at that speed.

It also makes redering stuff faster.

It seems like i'm gonna go for the 1600MHz because I don't render videos that often and I wouldn't mind that it takes a little extra time for it to render, but what brand should I chose? My local computer-store sells: A-Data, Corsair, Crucial and Kingston. I think I would like to have 16GB.

Of those: Corsair, Crucial and Kingston are good choices. To bring it down further, pick based on price or aesthetics.

It seems like i'm gonna go for the 1600MHz because I don't render videos that often and I wouldn't mind that it takes a little extra time for it to render, but what brand should I chose? My local computer-store sells: A-Data, Corsair, Crucial and Kingston. I think I would like to have 16GB.
Corsair and Kingston is what I would recommend because for my machine I have used only those 2 brands of memory when I asked my friends what brand they use for their own RAM they said Crucial was the one that they like using so those 3 RAM brands are really good for my stand point

They're all good brands. I've used Corsair for all my builds just because I'm familiar with their product line, I like the asthetics, and the pricing is good, so I would definitely recommend them. That being said, kingston and crucial are giants in the industry and definitely know what they're doing. I'm not terribly familiar with adata as a company buy I haven't ever heard anything bad about them. I'd say just go with whatever's cheepest and looks good.

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

Normally you put in the best you can afford at the time, and make sure it is compatable with your motherboard.

I wouldn't mix and match ram, just get a good set all the same speeds.

got to love Asus components

Corsair and Kingston is what I would recommend because I have been using these two brands on my systems so far and I am pretty satisfied that they are still functioning properly.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I'm gonna go with the Corsair 16GB (4x4096MB) CL9 1600MHz VENGEANCE Black. This is beacuse of the aesthetics and pricing. They fit in real good with my Asus Sabertooth Z77 (black on black). Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions!