DUMB IDEA: Soldering paste as thermal compound?

So here is a dumb/interesting idea:

I got a ton of lead-free soldering paste lying around and I was wondering what would happen if I put that stuff between a CPU and heatsink, then put the heat-fan on there basically fusing the CPU and heatsink together.

If I won't fry the CPU maybe this turns out to be a decent thermal improvement. What are your thoughts?

Don't do it. If you want something better than thermal paste, use liquid metal.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

It may not be that bad of an idea, in fact it would fufill the role of creating a solid contact between the cpu heat spreader and the heat sink

That being said, do it at your own risk, you may destroy hardware, and I take no responsibility for broken hardware

Well, you're going to need to make sure there are zero air pockets and its a very thin line of solder

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Don't do it. If you want something better than thermal paste, use liquid metal.

Liquid metal can actually eat away on impure metals. I think I'll try regardless, not on something expensive, I have a Brasswell-something MiniPC sitting around somewhere. The thing has a passive heatsink. I was just wondering what you guys thought about the idea. It's more of a "will it even work" thought experiment.

Well basically as long as it makes good contact with both the CPU and the cooler, I'd see no reason as to why it wouldn't work. If nothing else it'd be like some really cheap thermal paste, or you could have discovered some new magic TIM and you're going to be rich here soon. 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

Do you have an old system you don't care about do it on that then

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

It won't help at all unless you bake it to melt the solder paste and join the CPU to the IHS.

At least 180C depending on the paste. You wont ever reach those temps by stressing the CPU.

I don't even know if intel uses a special paste when soldering their CPUs, so it may or may not work.

Worst case scenario you end up with a dead CPU.

The normal solution is to use liquid metal thermal compound, which is just as good if not better than solder.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

Do you have an old system you don't care about do it on that then

Yeah thats the Idea, got like $99 mini Windows 10 PC sitting around and I use it for nothing really.

Just now, Hase said:

Yeah thats the Idea, got like $99 mini Windows 10 PC sitting around and I use it for nothing really.

Then try it on that

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It won't help at all unless you bake it to melt the solder paste and join the CPU to the IHS.

At least 180C depending on the paste. You wont ever reach those temps by stressing the CPU.

I don't even know if intel uses a special paste when soldering their CPUs, so it may or may not work.

Worst case scenario you end up with a dead CPU.

The normal solution is to use liquid metal thermal compound, which is just as good if not better than solder.

Well, if working on open components we use a heatgun (as stated in the original post) which goes up to around 220°C and melts the solderpaste on the parts. Alternatively you can put a soldering iron at about 250°C to the base of the heatsink and wait, same result. Baking the unit will only help to kill other parts of the computer.

Edit: also who goes for normal?

Do it

2 minutes ago, Hase said:

Well, if working on open components we use a heatgun (as stated in the original post) which goes up to around 220°C and melts the solderpaste on the parts. Alternatively you can put a soldering iron at about 250°C to the base of the heatsink and wait, same result. Baking the unit will only help to kill other parts of the computer.

You could bake it if you solder the IHS to the CPU, like intel and AMD sometimes do.

If you try to heat to CPU to 200C with a massive heatsink on it you're not gonna get very far.

2 minutes ago, Hase said:

Edit: also who goes for normal?

People who want to do things the proper way without wasting money or killing hardware.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

People who want to do things the proper way without wasting money or killing hardware

screw that and screw them

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

25 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You could bake it if you solder the IHS to the CPU, like intel and AMD sometimes do.

If you try to heat to CPU to 200C with a massive heatsink on it you're not gonna get very far.

Not delidding the thing is the point, I know it works there. The word mini-pc should tell you that the sink is not massive.

1 hour ago, Hase said:

So here is a dumb/interesting idea:

I got a ton of lead-free soldering paste lying around and I was wondering what would happen if I put that stuff between a CPU and heatsink, then put the heat-fan on there basically fusing the CPU and heatsink together.

If I won't fry the CPU maybe this turns out to be a decent thermal improvement. What are your thoughts?

it would work as long as you have low temp solder (90c-100c or lower) so you can get it to liquefy at crazy high OC/over volt and then run the CPU lower so it is under that.

The key would be to get it to initially melt and to sand away the finish off the CPU and block so it is a copper finish to allow for adhesion.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

well. good luck with this, go get a P4 and motherboard so you dont destroy something thats actiually usefull lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

16 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well. good luck with this, go get a P4 and motherboard so you dont destroy something thats actiually usefull lol

Read my answers, I have a Brasswell-something MiniPC sitting around that I use for notihng. It's literally a tiny one board Windows PC with a 2 inch heatsink on it.

If and only if that works I might move on to something a little bigger in the future.

if you wish to solder what you do is heat up the heatsink. Use a solder that melts at a much lower temperature but melt it by putting the heatsink on and heating the heatsink. Make sure to put strands of solder around the cpu towards the center but not enough for it to overspill.

a lot of people dont get that putting too little paste is bad for the CPU regardless of type, this is because the more paste that makes contact between the IHS and heatsink, the better the heat transfer will be as heat transfer is all about surface area and thermal contact. However in the case of metal paste you cant put too little or too much. Putting too much thermal paste is not harmful and i've done it a number of times. The extra paste will just fall out the side but if its not conductive it is fine.

When you take out a heatsink after its been on for a while, if you see the paste around the center of the chip only that means that too little has been placed.

Lead free or lead full solder doesnt matter. CPUs will be fine up to 200C but the safe way to do this is to put a ball of solder on the center of CPU, put the heatsink on, heat the heatsink and let the heatsink melt the solder down. You can keep the CPU cool by having another piece of metal attached to the IHS to take the heat away from the IHS to reduce the heat onto the CPU. Dont keep the heat on for too long, do it in stages.

3 minutes ago, Hase said:

Read my answers, I have a Brasswell-something MiniPC sitting around that I use for notihng. It's literally a tiny one board Windows PC with a 2 inch heatsink on it.

If and only if that works I might move on to something a little bigger in the future.

you should probably make sure to use the defult text color because i didnt realize there was more then "read my answers" untill i quoted. anyway i might do this to one of my poor P4's just because

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

if you wish to solder what you do is heat up the heatsink. Use a solder that melts at a much lower temperature but melt it by putting the heatsink on and heating the heatsink. Make sure to put strands of solder around the cpu towards the center but not enough for it to overspill.

This is exactly what I was planning

a lot of people dont get that putting too little paste is bad for the CPU regardless of type, this is because the more paste that makes contact between the IHS and heatsink, the better the heat transfer will be as heat transfer is all about surface area and thermal contact. However in the case of metal paste you cant put too little or too much. Putting too much thermal paste is not harmful and i've done it a number of times. The extra paste will just fall out the side but if its not conductive it is fine.

Luckily I am aware, been in the business for a while

Lead free or lead full solder doesnt matter. CPUs will be fine up to 200C but the safe way to do this is to put a ball of solder on the center of CPU, put the heatsink on, heat the heatsink and let the heatsink melt the solder down. You can keep the CPU cool by having another piece of metal attached to the IHS to take the heat away from the IHS to reduce the heat onto the CPU. Dont keep the heat on for too long, do it in stages.

I think I'll be fine going at it with a soldering iron moving around on top of the heatsink. It's easy to see when the solder melts. I can control the heat output of my iron to the degree between 90-310°C.

I think it should work, most of the solder is rated at 180°C and below.

I buy the lead-free shit for health reasons mostly, solder smoke is bad enough as it is.

Just now, Hase said:

This is exactly what I was planning

Luckily I am aware, been in the business for a while

I think I'll be fine going at it with a soldering iron moving around on top of the heatsink. It's easy to see when the solder melts. I can control the heat output of my iron to the degree between 90-310°C.

I think it should work, most of the solder is rated at 180°C and below.

I buy the lead-free shit for health reasons mostly, solder smoke is bad enough as it is.

just make sure the solder you use doesnt melt at too low a temperature. Ideally you want it close to 200C but below. This is because you want to avoid the solder melting if the CPU gets too hot as if it melts more it could overspill.

I know you can control the heat of the iron but damage to components isnt really about temperature, its about the energy applied. So you solder in stages, melt it bit by bit allowing for cooling between each time.

7 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

you should probably make sure to use the defult text color because i didnt realize there was more then "read my answers" untill i quoted. anyway i might do this to one of my poor P4's just because

I thought I was using the default text color? :o I just made my account here and did not change any settings.

Anyways sounds good, I'll be sure to post my findings including benchmarks by the end of the week :D

Just now, System Error Message said:

just make sure the solder you use doesnt melt at too low a temperature. Ideally you want it close to 200C but below. This is because you want to avoid the solder melting if the CPU gets too hot as if it melts more it could overspill.

I know you can control the heat of the iron but damage to components isnt really about temperature, its about the energy applied. So you solder in stages, melt it bit by bit allowing for cooling between each time.

Indeed, I was thinking of going from the center of the heatsink to the outside and pausing in between, in order to allow byproduct gas buildup to dissipate.

• 4 years later...
On 7/25/2017 at 12:06 AM, k.m.p said:

It may not be that bad of an idea, in fact it would fufill the role of creating a solid contact between the cpu heat spreader and the heat sink

That being said, do it at your own risk, you may destroy hardware, and I take no responsibility for broken hardware

have you tried??😀😀I'm thinking about to buy some flux to use it as thermal paste