New Ryzen 5 Build

I am currently trying to pick parts for my first PC build. I have decided to go for the Ryzen 5 1600 CPU. However, I know so little about motherboards and ram, it is very difficult for me to pick these out. Here is my semi-completed list of components, I wanted to double check compatibility between components and whether or not there are better options out there. Thank you for your time and consideration.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (280$ CAD)

Motherboard: ASRock X370 Killer SLI (200$)

ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-2400 (173$) ---- is it worth it to spring an extra 20$ for the 3200 mhz version, or will I get pretty much the same performance when I start playing with overclocking?

Already owned from previous upgrade:

PSU: Corsair 750M

GPU: Nvidia GTX 960 - still sufficient for my needs.

How does this list look? Thanks again.

i would drop the motherboard to something B350 and a R7 1700 instead and or faster RAM

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Definitely worth it for the faster ram. Ryzen is weird as it scales really well with faster ram because the infinity fabric connection the cores together runs faster with faster ram. As for motherboards the one you choose is a good one but if you don't plan on doing an sli or crossfire build in the future you could opt for the less expensive b350 motherboard and save some money

I'd probably go for a motherboard about half that price (90-115)

get b350 if you're not doing sli, get 3000 mhz ram that is listed compatible with the board on mobo manufacturer website, objective advice I've heard msi has been screwing up with ryzen mobos, subjective advice asrock sucks....and yeah ~$90 should get you a good b350 board

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Thanks for the feedback! As for the motherboard, I feel that since AMD has announced that they will stick to the AM4 socket type through 2020, I don't mind spending a little more on a board up front, if it means I can squeak by with it for my next build. Also I can grab a 30$ manufacturer's rebate for the x370 killer, making it only slightly more expensive than b350 boards, and I feel it might stand up against time a little better. Or is this thinking false?

Would the G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3000  be a better investment for ram?

1 hour ago, Infestation said:

Thanks for the feedback! As for the motherboard, I feel that since AMD has announced that they will stick to the AM4 socket type through 2020, I don't mind spending a little more on a board up front, if it means I can squeak by with it for my next build. Also I can grab a 30$ manufacturer's rebate for the x370 killer, making it only slightly more expensive than b350 boards, and I feel it might stand up against time a little better. Or is this thinking false?

Would the G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3000  be a better investment for ram?

I'm not 100% on this but I do believe the rip jaws 5 were Samsung memory and we're easier to get then to run at their rated speeds but I'm not sure it was just one specific kit or the whole line of ripjaws 5

53 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I'm not 100% on this but I do believe the rip jaws 5 were Samsung memory and we're easier to get then to run at their rated speeds but I'm not sure it was just one specific kit or the whole line of ripjaws 5

A lot of G.skill kits use Hynix die. Some of the 3000 MHz, and most 3200+ kits use Samsung B-die

:)

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

A lot of G.skill kits use Hynix die. Some of the 3000 MHz, and most 3200+ kits use Samsung B-die

yeah i was wondering if it was just the 3200mhz kit because i know that is the one people were getting to run at rated speeds at launch.