K7xx vs DT990 vs HD 598 vs HD 6xx

Daniel Z.

Which one has the most detail in mids and highs and cleanest but still punchy bass? How big is the difference between the 598 and 6xx because the 598 arrives in 2 days but the 6xx is december.

For base man you'll have to get juice for the thing like get at least an amp definitely with those SENNHEISER its open headphones 

And well i own a HD 598 but i've bought a too basic dac&amp but i only wanted some clear sound and details the base it's very good through the amp and dac got wet so yeah it still works by wonder i still hear some bass and by i tested frequencies stopped and continued sound can't tell i'd have to get to order a new one.. if the time comes 

If you haven't already.. 

K7XX has the cleanest bass. HD 650 has the most "detail" (not a word I like to use). The HD 650 is smoother, cleaner and more refined than the 598, but there is certainly a family resemblance. For the price difference, I would shoot for the Massdrop 6XX if possible. But, that's a priority that you'll need to decide for yourself.

Just now, SSL said:

K7XX has the cleanest bass. HD 650 has the most "detail" (not a word I like to use). The HD 650 is smoother, cleaner and more refined than the 598, but there is certainly a family resemblance. For the price difference, I would shoot for the Massdrop 6XX if possible. But, that's a priority that you'll need to decide for yourself.

Ok how would u compare the DT990 to the others 

Just now, Daniel Z. said:

Ok how would u compare the DT990 to the others 

Boosted bass and treble. Just read some reviews of the headphones. These are such staples of personal audio that there is no shortage of direct comparisons.

Just now, SSL said:

Boosted bass and treble. Just read some reviews of the headphones. These are such staples of personal audio that there is no shortage of direct comparisons.

Ok. How do the 6xx and k7xx compare?

5 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

6XX/650 has some deliciously rich midrange thanks to a lower mid boost. Helps a lot with timbre but the dark tuning contributes to the Sennheiser "veil"; some people feel that this ends up obscuring detail (not too common, but there are people who feel this way). Realistically, it's more a response to the way great mids don't immediately impress the way bright treble or heavy bass do. Brighter headphones have a habit of creating an exaggerated sense of "detail" on first listen and becoming increasingly fatiguing with time. Decent amount of midbass and upper bass but lacking extension (improves a bit with better electronics and modding) so you may miss that. HD600's are tuned more neutral (less lower mids/bass, more treble) but retain a lot of the same smoothness.

K7XX bass extends lower and feels tighter as well. Wouldn't say there's much more of it so much as it's more present further down instead of blending in with the mids as on the HD650's. Not as smooth as the Senns but not harsh either; mids are good albeit without the timbre sounding quite as spot on as the HD6XX's (definitely leaner), treble is peakier (not a ton of grain, but it's here) but not sibilant. Overall sort of like drier, less smooth HD600's with more impactful bass. Definitely a preference thing there. K7XX's don't clamp as hard, though which one will end up more comfortable is up to you. AKG's better for gaming. I think most will end up preferring HD600's for pure music, though there are always people who feel otherwise. K7XX's are closer to what you in particular are describing, though a few extra words in the first post could easily push it the other way.

If you know someone in the US who can forward them to you Renewlogic is selling some almost-new HD600's for $190. Whether you'd rather get those or K7XX's comes down to preference quite a bit. See if you can try one out.

7 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

DId he not just say how they are?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

@Daniel Z.  

I recommend that you forget about any of these headphones and get the ATH M50X. Should be about your level and you won't need to worry about nuances of sound signature and so on.

Just now, SSL said:

@Daniel Z.  

I recommend that you forget about any of these headphones and get the ATH M50X. Should be about your level and you won't need to worry about nuances of sound signature and so on.

Are u triggered? I want open backs for the soundstage, the m50x arent super great anyways

1 minute ago, SSL said:

@Daniel Z.  

Whatever i cant stand the 6xx shipping time so im getting the k7xx

Just now, Daniel Z. said:

Are u triggered? I want open backs for the soundstage, the m50x arent super great anyways

You don't actually know what you want. Just get the M50X and worry about the next CPU u will buy or whatever it is u do.

5 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

Whatever i cant stand the 6xx shipping time so im getting the k7xx

LMAO

Get a schiit stack and ATH-M50x and go to reddit to farm karma. Soon you'll have a massive collection of mid-fi headphones.

wait

Reddit hates schiit this week, go with a E10k instead.

• 1 year later...
On 7/25/2017 at 9:27 PM, SSL said:

@Daniel Z.  

I know its old but for future people reading this, don't get M50X.. The other options mentioned is way too superior. 
But if you want something similar to M50X which acutally is shitty headphones for home use as they're intended to be outdoor ones, i suggest getting the Audio Technica MSR7 over the M40X/M50X, they're about the same price on amazon but on whole another level also if you like relaxed and smooth sound signature get the Sony MDR-1A which also has better comfort / soundstage and build quality than the MSR7's ( and MSR7's is overall better than M50X )

the hd 58x also have very lively bass,also its 150 ohems so its fine without a dac