Pixxie_Payne

Headset Help

Posted · Original PosterOP

I need a new headset... I'm currently using a pair of SkullCandy Hesh and well... they aren't the best, the are OK for listening to music and that's about it.

Iv been looking at the 7.1 Headsets but i dont know if they are worth it.

I was originally looking at the Asus Strix 7.1 but the Razer Man'o'War 7.1 and Steelseries Arctis 5 7.1 but i cant find any good consistent reviews on any of them.

Yes they need to be 7.1 Virtual/True because i used to have a pair of Roccat Kave's 5.1 and they where the best headphones i have ever had, since they broke i have been looking for a decent replacement upgrade.

Any suggestions for other headsets would be amazing and feedback on the headphones mentioned above (Not the Roccat Kaves) will be awesome. 

No Wireless/bluetooth headphones please

Lead 3D artist, Senior Game designer & Head of Hardware maintenance at Andalusian UK.

Part time Fashion and glamour Model, Casual PC & Console Gamer, Custom Desktop modder hobbyist

Since you didn't mention a budget...

Open-back headphones:

• AKG K712 Pro, K702, K701, K612 Pro, K52, Q701
  • Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, ATH-AD700x, ATH-AD500x
  • Beyerdynamic DT990, DT880
  • Monoprice Monolith M1060
  • Philips Fidelio X2, SHP9500
  • Sennheiser HD598 (SE, SR), HD558
  • Status Audio OB-1
  • Superlux HD668B / Samson SR850
  • Superlux HD-681 EVO

Closed-back headphones:

• AKG K550, K52
  • Audio Technica ATH-MSR7
  • Beyerdynamic DT770
  • Shure SRH940
  • Status Audio CB-1
  • Superlux HD660, HD662 (B, F), HD662 EVO, HD669

Attachable mics:

• Antlion ModMic
  • Massdrop Minimic
  • Neewer Clip on Mini Lapel Microphone
  • Sony ECMCS3
  • V-MODA BoomPro
  • Zalman ZM-Mic1

Headsets:

• Sennheiser G4ME ONE (open-back)
  • Sennheiser G4ME ZERO (closed-back)
  • Superlux HMC660 (closed-back)
  • Superlux HMC681EVO (semi-open-back)

I have AKG K52, AKG Q701, Audio-Technica ATH-AD700x, Beyerdynamic DT990 (600 ohms), Philips Fidelio X2, Philips SHP9500, Superlux HD668B and HD681 EVO of these.

K52 has a big soundstage, good imaging, clarity, detail retrieval and tone quality, and decent separation. The bass can sound slightly distorted in explosions and other big and loud sounds. It has a balanced sound signature. It's over-ear, very lightweight and has a durable build.

Q701 has a huge soundstage and excellent imaging, separation, clarity, detail retrieval and tone quality. It’s a reference headphone, it’s meant for analytic listening, so it has very little bass. The mids and treble are balanced across the frequency response. The headphone is over-ear and has a durable build and a detachable cable.

AD700x has a very big soundstage, great imaging, separation, clarity and detail retrieval, and good tone quality. It's a bright headphone with forward mids and recessed bass. It's over-ear, very lightweight and has a durable build.

DT990 (600 ohms) has a very big soundstage, great imaging, excellent separation, clarity, detail retrieval and tone quality. It’s a bassy and very bright headphone. Despite the boosted bass, sound cues are still highly defined in the middle of explosions and gunfights.

Fidelio X2 has a very wide soundstage, but it lacks depth. It has great imaging, separation, clarity and tone quality, and very good detail retrieval. It has a warm sound signature with deep sub-bass. It's over-ear, a little heavy and has a very sturdy build and detachable cable.

SHP9500 has a big soundstage, good imaging, separation and detail retrieval, and very good clarity and tone quality. It has a balanced sound signature. It's over-ear, lightweight and has a durable build and a detachable cable.

HD668B has a very big soundstage, very good imaging, separation and detail retrieval, good clarity, and decent tone quality. It's a bright headphone, and some people say it has boosted bass, but to me, it has a flat bass frequency response. It's over-ear, very lightweight and has a sturdy build and a detachable cable. I recommend replacing the earpads with velour pads from HiFiMAN or Cosmos.

HD681 EVO has a very big soundstage, good detail retrieval, very good clarity and tonality, but has poor imaging and separation. It has a warm sound signature with a deep and clean bass. It's over-ear, lightweight and has a durable build and a detachable cable. I recommend taking out the loose felt inside the cups and replacing the earpads because they are very shallow and the driver sticks out quite a bit. Some good compatible earpads are the ones from HiFiMAN and Cosmos, but if you have big ears, then I recommend AKG K240/K270/K271 earpads and the round velour earpads from Brainwavz. The earpads can cost up to $25, but the sound quality is worth at least $100. Thomann.de sells Superlux headphones cheaper than Amazon.

Closed-back headphones have cups with solid shells that largely isolate sound from passing in and out.

Open-back / semi-open-back headphones have cups with perforations/grills that allow outside sound to freely pass in and sound from the drivers to freely pass out. How loud you hear outside sound and how loud people around you hear the sound emanating from the headphones depend on your volume, of course. The benefit to open-back is generally a big soundstage. 

Soundstage is perceived space and environment of sound. It determines whether the sound is perceived to be coming from inside your head or beyond the drivers and around you. It can be compared to virtual surround sound; both attempt to produce the same spacious, three-dimensional effect. VSS can sound more ambient and immersive, which will depend on the processor (CMSS-3D, Dolby, SBX, etc.), but it degrades the sound quality and diminishes detailing due to compression from digital processing. You might also experience less accurate imaging and separation with headphone have good imaging and separation properties. Note that a deep soundstage is equally important as a wide soundstage.

I strongly recommend listening to headphones with a big or huge soundstage before settling on VSS. You can always add a DSP for VSS.

Imaging determines how accurately sounds/objects are positioned across the soundstage. Imaging is inherent to the audio content, so if the game is recorded or mixed poorly, a headphone with good imaging won’t improve the positional audio.

Separation is separating individual sounds from a range of sounds. Good separation properties make it easier to filter out or discern overlapping sounds from other sounds and track them.

Sound signature is a frequency response / sound profile. For example, a V-shaped sound signature emphasizes the bass and treble while recessing the mid-range. A flat/balanced sound signature doesn't over- or under-emphasize these frequencies and attempts to reproduce the original recording accurately as possible. A bright headphone emphasizes the treble and can subdue the bass. A warm sound signature emphasizes the bass or subdues the treble.

Posted · Original PosterOP
28 minutes ago, Tacanacy said:

Since you didn't mention a budget...

My budget is under £200 and i want to go 7.1 Virtual/True and wired....

Lead 3D artist, Senior Game designer & Head of Hardware maintenance at Andalusian UK.

Part time Fashion and glamour Model, Casual PC & Console Gamer, Custom Desktop modder hobbyist