Headset Help

MzCatieB

I need a new headset... I'm currently using a pair of SkullCandy Hesh and well... they aren't the best, the are OK for listening to music and that's about it.

Iv been looking at the 7.1 Headsets but i dont know if they are worth it.

I was originally looking at the Asus Strix 7.1 but the Razer Man'o'War 7.1 and Steelseries Arctis 5 7.1 but i cant find any good consistent reviews on any of them.

Yes they need to be 7.1 Virtual/True because i used to have a pair of Roccat Kave's 5.1 and they where the best headphones i have ever had, since they broke i have been looking for a decent replacement upgrade.

Any suggestions for other headsets would be amazing and feedback on the headphones mentioned above (Not the Roccat Kaves) will be awesome. 

No Wireless/bluetooth headphones please

Character artist in the Games industry.

Since you didn't mention a budget...

Open-back headphones:

• AKG K712 Pro, K702, K701, K612 Pro, K52, Q701
  • Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, ATH-AD700x, ATH-AD500x
  • Beyerdynamic DT990, DT880
  • Monoprice Monolith M1060
  • Philips Fidelio X2, SHP9500
  • Sennheiser HD598 (SE, SR), HD558
  • Status Audio OB-1
  • Superlux HD668B / Samson SR850
  • Superlux HD-681 EVO

Closed-back headphones:

• AKG K550
  • Audio Technica ATH-MSR7
  • Beyerdynamic DT770
  • Shure SRH940
  • Status Audio CB-1
  • Superlux HD660, HD662 (B, F), HD662 EVO, HD669

Attachable mics:

• Antlion ModMic
  • Massdrop Minimic
  • Neewer Clip on Mini Lapel Microphone
  • Sony ECMCS3
  • V-MODA BoomPro
  • Zalman ZM-Mic1

Headsets:

• Sennheiser G4ME ONE (open-back)
  • Sennheiser G4ME ZERO (closed-back)
  • Superlux HMC660 (closed-back)
  • Superlux HMC681EVO (semi-open-back)

Open-back and semi-open-back mean that the earcups have perforations/openings that allow sound to freely pass in and out. The benefits are generally a larger soundstage and better imaging. If your ears tend to heat up, it may help mitigate this as it allows more airflow and heat to dissipate.

Closed-back means the earcups have solid shells that attenuate sound from passing through.

Soundstage is perceived space and environment of sound, it's distance to sound. Imaging is direction of sound. Soundstage and imaging can be compared to virtual surround sound; they attempt to produce a spacious, three-dimensional sound. VSS can sound more three-dimensional and ambient/atmospheric, which depends a lot on the processor you use (Dolby Atmos, Dolby Headphone, Razer Surround, Sennheiser Binaural Rendering Engine, SBX Pro Studio, etc.), the headphones you use, and the game you play. This might not interplay well, at all.

The reason why stereo should be considered over VSS for online/competitive shooters is that VSS degrades the sound quality and diminishes detail retrieval due to compression. You might also experience less accurate imaging and (instrument) separation. I find that the imaging becomes smeared, and that it becomes harder to discern individual sounds from a range of overlapping sounds.

28 minutes ago, Tacanacy said:

Since you didn't mention a budget...

My budget is under £200 and i want to go 7.1 Virtual/True and wired....

Character artist in the Games industry.