PC won't POST... sometimes

boat
Go to solution Solved by boat,

Solved:

- 1 of 4 RAM is bad

- Bad SATA cable.

Recently assembled PC, with a Z97M-D3H from Gigabyte. Tried built it, it worked,  then things just starting hanging after a minute or two of use after turning on. Googled up a solution, went to reinstall Windows 10, but then it would also hang at "getting files ready".

Okay, before I rule it as a hardware problem, going to try and Google that as well. So I'm trying to flash a newer BIOS onto it.

Then, it wouldn't POST. It would if I reseat the RAM on it, but after a few more restarts, it's back to the way it is.

Anyone know what might be the cause of this POST issue is?

Memtest86

Download that and make bootable USB with their tool.

Boot it and let it run for at least an hour, there must be 0 errors otherwise your RAM is bad.

As WereCat said, use memtest86.  There are a few different versions, but this is the most up to date one.  Just download the free one.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

I've had memtest86 run for 4+ hours, zero errors.

Could it be the motherboard that's faulty? Literally all I had to do was re-seat the RAM, and it'll work properly for a POST or two, and on Windows, it'll work a minute or two before everything hangs.

Actually, to be honest, it seems to be the Edge browser that triggers the hanging for sure, not that it's the exhaustive list of causes.

Solved:

- 1 of 4 RAM is bad

- Bad SATA cable.