Can you trace where your music tastes come from?

TheNewbiestONewbs

So as a kid I played so many games that had great music imo. Games like ssx tricky, ssx on tour, guitar hero, and others. So how much influence do you think early music and exposure to music has on kids? Does it influence how much you like certain types of music today?

A smile goes much farther than the person it's meant for.

First impressions are important, it sets the stage for respect.

"If you don't know every word you don't know it!"- SGM McCray

getting music from friends when I was young. We passed around CDs. Myspace was good for that too.

And I shit you not back when I was like in high school, most poor ass kids in my area didn't have an ipod, but rather some kind of MP3 player that was usually terribly made with bad firmware and some shitty video function that no one knew who to use or cared to use. Anyway these fuckin things would break and I was always good at fixing them cause hey, school without music was terrible I wasn't gonna let people suffer if they couldn't afford a new one. So I ripped music from people's mp3 players and often found stuff I liked. Then shared that around further, and eventually we'd just dump each other's mp3 players regularly. We all ended up with a little of everyone's music, was like a music library orgy. 

Sneakernet limewire basically 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

This is actually a rather intersting study. While studies have been done on how an individuals form their musical taste, those studies usually take their start in sociology rather than psychology. 

Then then results in the various aspects of musical taste and music consumption to be divided into economic class, race, gender, age, etc. rather than be focused on the individual. 

While you can think of this what you will, it does serve as intersting material. Here are a couple of studies

This is not to say that there haven't been psychological studies of musical taste and how it relates to the individual. 

However, a lot of those studies tend to focus on how your musical taste reflects on you rather than how it reflects you. Here's one example:

http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/you-are-what-you-listen-to

One of the bigger psychological studies, however, did find a correlation between certain personality traits and your taste in music.

There was also a "study" that floated around some years ago that showed a correlation between your IQ and your music taste.

Although, as admitted by the author it is pretty unscientific and the conclusion that can be drawn is not certain, but it's still an intersting read.

But I guess this thread should be more about my personal opinions and musical journey.

My family is kinda weird when it comes to music. My mother couldn't care less about music and have pretty much never activly listened to music (from what I know, anyway).

My dad on the other hand is really into music. While his main interst has alway been in hardcore punk, D-beat, grindcore, etc. he also do enjoy a lot of other stuff. 

He has also been a drummer for almost 50 years, so he also taught me to see music as a piece of work rather than just a piece of art. 

I guess my musical taste does closely resemble that of my dad. I do have tendency to seek out extremes (be they musical, lyrical or both) in whatever genre I'm looking (listning?) through. 

However, as a counter to this, my sister has absolutly non of that. While she does listen to music she pretty much just a top 40 listener, and she doesn't really care about music apart from it being an entertainment medium.  

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

My dad likes metal and rap, not sure what Mom listens to. My sister has the same musical tastes as Dad. So long as it's not Rap or anything overly loud, I'm comparatively indifferent to genre. Soft rock, ppiano, trance, jazz, Japanese vocaloid music, etc. Whatever I feel like, really. 

Some games had some particularly great soundtracks I regularly use. Croc:Legend of the Gobbos has some tracks I use in a Christmas mix. Some tracks in Final Fantasy XII are quite uplifting, or calming. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Funny enough, my ex girlfriend is who got me into most of the music I listen to. Prior to her, I only ever listened to 90s rock and classical. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I didn't care much about music genres when i was really young (highschool days), i just copied others to fit in, to be invited at parties and all that.

I'd say what influenced me most was when i was in university campus as a student... two doors down from my room there was a guy a couple years older than me who used to work at an IT store in the afternoons and since I was into computers we became friends and chatted once in a while.

Usually at the end of each week, when he came from work he and his roommates used to leave the room door open and relax in the hallway with some coffee or beers and cigars with a high end speakers playing the latest John Digweed mix or Cafe Del Mar.

So yeah, he introduced me to chillout , lounge, downtempo chill ,ambient and various genres i wasn't even aware of until then... before that i was listening mostly to pop or some commercial crap.

edit..parents used to like folk bands and bands like ABBA, Scorpions, Queen (and i don't mind them) .. but keep in mind that i was in a country which was communist until the 1990s so they didn't have access to a lot of foreign music

I am really into orchestral music and I am the only one from the family listening that kind of music.

But I do enjoy all genres, metal, techno, rock, jazz, ... no problem. I am just picky about the particular songs.

I don't think that I copied anyone's style from my family, I may have developed my own taste... is that possible?

I remember finding some old Apocalyptica CDs as a kid and when I played them I got into it right away.

My taste is that I like soundtracks from series and such, instead of actual music that's supposed to be standalone music. 

Yes, it all started with Metallica/Primordial/Queen/Couple of russian bands that my older brother listened to when i was 5-7. Then it went with similarities/collaborations/split albums. I had a graph of genres somewhere that i made with the evolution of my music tastes. Its a very sophisticated Web.

Sorry for bad Ingrish