What's a good phone for me?

Xanthe_2871

I'm really annoyed with my phone's right now. My Moto Z Play keeps pestering me to update to nougat, I finally managed to stop the update requests but now my camera freezes after 8 minutes of video. 

All 3 of my LG G6's suck with photos too, because Google Photos doesn't properly handle SD cards on nougat phones. (Same reason I refuse to update my Moto Z). And one of the G6's camera glass broke for no apparent reason. No impacts of any significance, just spontaneously cracked and my attempts to replace the glass ended up scratching the interior lens which cannot be replaced without an entirely new camera element. 

I'm done at this point. I just want a phone that works. Android. Marshmallow or older. Under $500, still sold new today. And a good camera. I'll probably replace all three LG's with whatever you guys recommend, but I'll keep the Moto Z and just not use it for video. 

Also I'm on T-Mobile, and any carrier or manufacturer BOGOs that get two phones under $500 each would be fine since I need at least 3 new phones.

Thanks guys!

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

1 minute ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

I'm really annoyed with my phone's right now. My Moto Z Play keeps pestering me to update to nougat, I finally managed to stop the update requests but now my camera freezes after 8 minutes of video. 

All 3 of my LG G6's suck with photos too, because Google Photos doesn't properly handle SD cards on nougat phones. (Same reason I refuse to update my Moto Z). And one of the G6's camera glass broke for no apparent reason. No impacts of any significance, just spontaneously cracked and my attempts to replace the glass ended up scratching the interior lens which cannot be replaced without an entirely new camera element. 

I'm done at this point. I just want a phone that works. Android. Marshmallow or older. Under $500, still sold new today. And a good camera. I'll probably replace all three LG's with whatever you guys recommend, but I'll keep the Moto Z and just not use it for video. 

Also I'm on T-Mobile, and any carrier or manufacturer BOGOs that get two phones under $500 each would be fine since I need at least 3 new phones.

Thanks guys!

I'd probably suggest a Samsung phone. Or maybe a Nexus. 

You can use a program like SkipSoft's Android Unified Toolkit to mod it with the android edition you want. I believe most Samsung and all Nexus phones are supported.

5 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Thanks guys!

wait for i phone 8

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Why dont you update it to nougat, Why do you have 3 G6's?

2 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

but idk why you dont want nougat sooooo

6 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

because Google Photos doesn't properly handle SD cards on nougat phones.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, CyberFern0 said:

wait for i phone 8

She clearly wants an Android phone, and I like android, and many people like android.

What about the Zenfone 3 Deluxe? It has the Snapdragon 820, and ASUS refuses to provide support for it :D

Now it's stuck on Marshmellow.

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

If you don't mind a lower res camera Nokia 3310 so you don't have to worry about breaking it :) 

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

I can agree with the Google Photos not handling pictures correctly on Now phones. When I make new folder and move some picks into them they get deleted within the hour automatically. Sometimes random photos get corrupted too.

1 hour ago, Aytex said:

Why dont you update it to nougat, Why do you have 3 G6's?

I don't upgrade because Google Photos doesn't handle SD card access correctly on nougat. 

I have 3 LG G6's because T-Mobile was selling them for $250 each during an extremely limited time BOGO and I thought for $250, for a flagship, I should hop on and replace my 3 backup/alt use phones which were quite out of date.

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

37 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

I don't upgrade because Google Photos doesn't handle SD card access correctly on nougat. 

I have 3 LG G6's because T-Mobile was selling them for $250 each during an extremely limited time BOGO and I thought for $250, for a flagship, I should hop on and replace my 3 backup/alt use phones which were quite out of date.

Well under $500 You can grab a bunch of used last year flagships.

Not sure what specific devices. 

Possibly Pixel?

6 hours ago, Abyss Gaming said:

http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/galaxy-s8/buy/

EDIT it isn't marshmallow but idk why you dont want nougat sooooo

Because the Google Photos app doesn't work properly in Nougat and with the massive number of photos and videos I take on a daily basis I need an easy way to clear space, I can't be manually checking each file to see if they're backed up or not and Google's feature that does that automatically is broken in Nougat.

6 hours ago, JDE said:

She clearly wants an Android phone, and I like android, and many people like android.

What about the Zenfone 3 Deluxe? It has the Snapdragon 820, and ASUS refuses to provide support for it :D

Now it's stuck on Marshmellow.

That sounds perfect! But when I Google it I can only seem to find the 32 and 64 GB models, yet the website claims there is a 256 GB one... If there were then I could avoid an SD card altogether. Any idea where I can find the 256 GB version?

4 hours ago, Aytex said:

Well under $500 You can grab a bunch of used last year flagships.

Not sure what specific devices. 

Possibly Pixel?

I doubt I could find a Pixel XL 128 GB (only Pixel I'd consider) under $500 yet, but I could conceivably buy a used phone if it met my criteria. :)

8 hours ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Because the Google Photos app doesn't work properly in Nougat and with the massive number of photos and videos I take on a daily basis I need an easy way to clear space, I can't be manually checking each file to see if they're backed up or not and Google's feature that does that automatically is broken in Nougat.

?

I have 7.1.1 Nougat, and it works fine for me...

8 hours ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

That sounds perfect! But when I Google it I can only seem to find the 32 and 64 GB models, yet the website claims there is a 256 GB one... If there were then I could avoid an SD card altogether. Any idea where I can find the 256 GB version?

I can't find it anywhere too, so here's a link to the 64GB model.

https://www.amazon.com/ZenFone-5-7-inch-Unlocked-Warranty-ZS570KL-Glacier/dp/B01LQV1YU6/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500920705&sr=1-3&keywords=zenfone+3+deluxe

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

15 hours ago, JDE said:

?

I have 7.1.1 Nougat, and it works fine for me...

I can't find it anywhere too, so here's a link to the 64GB model.

https://www.amazon.com/ZenFone-5-7-inch-Unlocked-Warranty-ZS570KL-Glacier/dp/B01LQV1YU6/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500920705&sr=1-3&keywords=zenfone+3+deluxe

I'm really confused now, so there's an Asus ZenFone 3, and a ZenFone 3 Deluxe, and an Ultra, and a Zoom, and a Max, and a Laser? How are all of these different? :o