Ryzen + High speed RAM

For my new rig I would like to get the fastest memory possible, can I expect 4000+ Mhz RAM to work with Ryzen at this moment?

I'm looking at this set specifically: 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/p8Crxr/gskill-tridentz-series-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-4266-memory-f4-4266c19d-16gtzkw

I've also heard that the X370 chipset handles high speed memory better than B350 does. Is this true at all?

I still haven't decided between the 7700K and a R5 1600X, if high speed RAM is more reliable on the i7 platform I might go that route.

No, 4000MHz won't work on 99.9% of Ryzen CPUs.

3400MHz ... maybe 3600MHz if you're lucky with the IMC silicone lottery.

4000mhz is very unlikely at the moment. 3200mhz is a bit more plausible, but still difficult. check the QVL for your desired mobo 

x370 might do a bit better since it is a bit more enthusiast, but b350 shouldn't have much trouble 

yes, high speed RAM on intel is easier. most of the time all you need to do is enable a profile. but Ryzen is getting there

8 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

4000mhz is very unlikely at the moment. 3200mhz is a bit more plausible, but still difficult. check the QVL for your desired mobo 

x370 might do a bit better since it is a bit more enthusiast, but b350 shouldn't have much trouble 

yes, high speed RAM on intel is easier. most of the time all you need to do is enable a profile. but Ryzen is getting there

You mean with future updates I will eventually be able to get to 4000Mhz on Ryzen? Even if it doesn't (yet) work, will I still be able to use this kit at say 3000-3200Mhz or won't it run at all?

And if I go Intel, is it pretty much guaranteed to hit 4000Mhz or higher or is there still the risk of "losing the silicon lottery"? 

13 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

Snip

18 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

Snip

19 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Snip

There are better places to waste money the 4200 MHZ RAM

My life

11 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

You mean with future updates I will eventually be able to get to 4000Mhz on Ryzen? Even if it doesn't (yet) work, will I still be able to use this kit at say 3000-3200Mhz or won't it run at all?

And if I go Intel, is it pretty much guaranteed to hit 4000Mhz or higher or is there still the risk of "losing the silicon lottery"? 

only time will tell whether 4000mhz is achievable on Ryzen. even Intel systems have a hard time getting 4000mhz to boot without some additional tinkering.

with that said you could run lower speeds on that kit, but it's a bit of a waste of money if you can't get 4000mhz to POST. also not sure if it's samsung b-die, which performs most effectively with Ryzen 

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

only time will tell whether 4000mhz is achievable on Ryzen. even Intel systems have a hard time getting 4000mhz to boot without some additional tinkering.

with that said you could run lower speeds on that kit, but it's a bit of a waste of money if you can't get 4000mhz to POST. also not sure if it's samsung b-die, which performs most effectively with Ryzen 

Ryzens IMC is barely capable of achieving 3800MHz and you must be extremely lucky to make that run. No BIOS update will fix that.

8 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Ryzens IMC is barely capable of achieving 3800MHz and you must be extremely lucky to make that run. No BIOS update will fix that.

Agree there, 3800 is so far beyond normal, Can see BIOS fixes focusing on going up to 3000 maybe 3200 and them leaving it at that. 

Also @OP just buy the 1600 no need for the 1600X. Both of my 1600 with stock cooler both sit at 3.8Ghz happily. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

15 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

12 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Thanks, that's a clear answer. Though I'm still not a step closer in choosing between a 7700K and a 1600X :S 

15 minutes ago, Himommies said:

There are better places to waste money the 4200 MHZ RAM

In my area a typical 3200Mhz kit goes for about €200, this 4266Mhz kit is just €40 more expensive, if this would work, it's not wasted money imo.

4 minutes ago, Jonathan Lemmens said:

Thanks, that's a clear answer. Though I'm still not a step closer in choosing between a 7700K and a 1600X :S 

In my area a typical 3200Mhz kit goes for about €200, this 4266Mhz kit is just €40 more expensive, if this would work, it's not wasted money imo.

You can feed  porr family in africa for 40.negligable gains too

My life

15 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Also @OP just buy the 1600 no need for the 1600X. Both of my 1600 with stock cooler both sit at 3.8Ghz happily. 

I've seen this in many other topics as well, but i'm inclined to disagree.

I want to build a small ITX system which means there probably won't be a lot of thermal headroom left to OC plus I've seen a few post on this and other forums where people with 1600's have just lost the lottery and can't even get a 300Mhz boost. I'm just thinking that there must be a reason why they binned the 1600X higher than the 1600, is this flawed logic?

To me a guaranteed boost clock of 4Ghz is worth the €30 to me, especially if it has no use spending that cash on faster RAM.

12 minutes ago, Himommies said:

You can feed  porr family in africa for 40.negligable gains too

If it would work, the gains won't be negligible. Now that i'm convinced that it won't work, I'll spend that money elsewhere.

Why do you even have a PC? You could have sent all that cash to Africa.