Thing to start with on Raspberry Pi

Walt
Go to solution Solved by CrashCourse,

You can start with anything...just do something. The "what" doesn't matter, and it doesn't have to be useful. Pick a programming language, any really it doesn't matter and just write. You can try to create a simple website, this will have it's own learning curve in starting up servers and configuring them...once you get done with that you can move up to doing something like a forum that you create from scratch that will give you A LOT to do and a lot to learn (including databases). It's more important to tinker than it is try to create something which you will actually use after.

You say you're a complete beginner though so maybe just start with reading about a programming language (i'd pick Python or Java personally) and moving up to the stuff above after you've learned enough where you feel comfortable to start on those.

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if someone could give me advice on how to start learning programming on the Raspberry Pi 3 (model B). There are a few programs (like Scratsch, Python and Sonic Pi) that all are mode to learn coding. I am a complete beginner to coding and programming so any advice or tips/tricks will be appreciated! :P

Thanks!

My own build: RΛZΞR theme

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

Video Card: MSI Armor gtx 1070 OC 8GB // RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200MHz //  

SSD: Samsung EVO 960 500GB // HDD: 2x WD yellow edition 2TB //

Case: NZXT H440 RAZER edition // Power Supply: Corsair RM550x //         

Operating Software: Windows 10 pro 64-bit

It depends on what you want to do with your RasPi.

If you're trying to make an IoT device of sorts (or just any sort of "Smart" device), it's first better to start learning how to service the RasPi without hooking up a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to it. That is, use it remotely. Although, it's probably better to learn this anyway because it's a valuable skill to have.

One of the first things i did with my raspberryPi was just mess around with Python turning little LED's on and off.

Not having any programming experience at all, starting with the basics helped me. There are a lot of resources online for this exact thing, so if you want to start at the very beginning probably start there :)

It also depends on which OS you use on your RasPi. RISC OS and 9Front are focused on BASIC and C programming respectively, Raspbian will probably try to dump you into the Python world (but also supports C).

Re:Python: There is a number of tutorials available on the Raspberry website IIRC.

Write in C.

If you happen to be a masochist you can try baremetal programming with a pi. It's kind of fun and teaches you a bunch of valuable low level stuff.

Hello,

Sorry if I also ask an Question in this topic.

I also want to know which language is good to learn.

I want to learn C in the long run, but since I have to deal with structred text on my work (reading an finding failures) I wanted to know which middle language will come close to both of these so that I can ease into C.

I bought an Raspberry for the purpose of learning programming because I like it and I want to use the GPIO pins and do some GUI stuff.

Is it possible to use some similar language as Strucutred Text on the Raspberry (such as Pascal) or will Python serve me also?

Or will it be better to just start with C?

Thank you :-)

There is nothing Python can do that C won't, including (of course) GPIO access and GUI stuff.

Write in C.

One of the things that you may like to look into would be making a drone with that Pi.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

You can start with anything...just do something. The "what" doesn't matter, and it doesn't have to be useful. Pick a programming language, any really it doesn't matter and just write. You can try to create a simple website, this will have it's own learning curve in starting up servers and configuring them...once you get done with that you can move up to doing something like a forum that you create from scratch that will give you A LOT to do and a lot to learn (including databases). It's more important to tinker than it is try to create something which you will actually use after.

You say you're a complete beginner though so maybe just start with reading about a programming language (i'd pick Python or Java personally) and moving up to the stuff above after you've learned enough where you feel comfortable to start on those.

2 minutes ago, CrashCourse said:

Okay thanks for the advice! I think I'm gonna start with learning python and then making things you say like websites and a forum etc.. Thanks!!

My own build: RΛZΞR theme

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

Video Card: MSI Armor gtx 1070 OC 8GB // RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200MHz //  

SSD: Samsung EVO 960 500GB // HDD: 2x WD yellow edition 2TB //

Case: NZXT H440 RAZER edition // Power Supply: Corsair RM550x //         

Operating Software: Windows 10 pro 64-bit